Summer 2017 Anime Discussion

ittaku

• 1 month later...

Isekai Shokudou is rather enjoying (but not really being appreciated). As I'm not a fan of food anime, nor Shokugeki no Souma, Isekai Shokudou was suprisingly pleasant for me to watch once a week. After long days of study, watching isekai people enjoying modern world food feel soothed, and it's kinda sweet.

The surprise of this season is, of course, Made in Abyss. But I suppose that I'm absolutly not the first one who feels like that. So no need to explain.

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched just about everything this season. Mahoujin Guruguru is probably the only true standout show of the season. It's so good. Most of the other shows lost their momentum.

On 9/23/2017 at 5:12 AM, ittaku said:

Koi to uso had one of the most uninspiring faked anime endings to an unfinished manga I've seen in a long time.

I say the ending was as good as they could possibly do. I'm not a fan of the way the manga follows it up. Nejima goes from being kind of stupid to being completely braindead.

2 minutes ago, pik3rob said:

I say the ending was as good as they could possibly do. I'm not a fan of the way the manga follows it up. Nejima goes from being kind of stupid to being completely braindead.

Great, thanks for the warning. As a protagonist I thought he was as interesting as cardboard; if he then gets even stupider then I'll make sure not to read the manga or watch any anime sequels. MEH.

5 hours ago, ittaku said:

Great, thanks for the warning. As a protagonist I thought he was as interesting as cardboard; if he then gets even stupider then I'll make sure not to read the manga or watch any anime sequels. MEH.

Yeah, after that ending, there is no sequel. The manga goes in a completely different direction from that ending, so if they followed it up, then they'd have to completely retcon that ending.

Finished New Game!!

I would have to say I preferred the first one. My interest in the anime stems from the slice of life office shenanigans and not from the more emotional moments. As the sequel was packed with the latter, I find it natural that I would enjoy it less. Maybe I'll read the manga one day. It may have more of the filler I prefer, and it's easier to skim over that which is not to my taste.

9 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I would have to say I preferred the first one

I agree, but I wouldn't say it's because of the emotional moments. The first season felt a lot more like a workplace comedy where every single character interacts with one another, and there's lots of original ideas using it's setting. The second season on the other hand utilizes it's characters less, like how Hajime and Yun have like no scenes of note with other characters and Hifumi is barely there in the second half. It's like they did all that they could have with S1, and with S2 the only new ideas they could come up with were nothing more than the typical SOL comedy shtick.

Edited by pik3rob