Anime Expo 2017 VN License Announcements

kyrt

33 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Wow. Herkz was an editor on subahibi.

Whole thread:
https://twitter.com/herkzzz/status/882092504300081152

I get why Herkz is salty and it does seem kinda bullshit how they wouldn't allow the old team to continue their work, but he's assuming that no effort is being expended to pick things up where the old team left off, despite having no actual knowledge of what FW is doing. What he's saying is possible, but it still seems like a rather shaky position from which to tell everyone not to buy the game. FW has a good track record for TL quality post-chiruchiru, so I suspect that they wouldn't want to release Subahibi in such a shoddy state.

Well, that's not what I'd expected from Frontwing announcements when I'd heard word 'plenty announcements' earlier, just like Kryt said in regard of JAST. Especially because I prefer them to had announced the secret projects directly instead of keeping it secret. Oh well.

Anyway, as for secret projects thing it could subjected to many speculation (Duh) but perhaps it could be Goo's new project seeing that Island was announced at last year AX. The only way to knew is that we must wait for months though, just as Frontwing promised there. As for Wonderful Everyday, finally we got the release date there which is good. As for the content that was cut, to tell the truth I prefer that they cut yaoi scene but no problem here (I'll just need to tolerate it I suppose). Oh, and actually the supposedly disturbing sex contents was quite low though, so it's not like that it matter much imo. Well, I'm going to look forward to August then.

PS - By the way, one of the chapter did had the title 'Sunflower' so I think it should be enough warning if you want to play Wonderful Everyday (Subahibi) there, @Vorathiel.

PPS - Well, herkz was what I called quite eccentric person just like Moogy so it might be best not to take him seriously imo. Although maybe he was still angry though that Frontwing released Chiru Chiru directly without his knowing (Probably).

Edited by littleshogun

So, basically, herkz didn't do any work on subahibi for a whole year during the license negotiations, even though the possibility of them just straight up buying out the script sounds very likely even to a bystander like me. Way more likely than hiring him to continue the job. And so now he decided to play the usual drama queen right before the release because his work ended up unfinished without even knowing what happened to the script afterwards. I know my words are rude but it sure sounds like the genius herkz alright, would be a pity if the game ends up jinxed as a result. 

4 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

My point never was that these games are / aren't obscene.

Yeah I got your point man, was just curious is all. 

Btw guys, who is this herkz person? does he really have enough influence to cause a substantial amount of people to not want to buy the game? 

3 minutes ago, DharmaFreedom said:

Btw guys, who is this herkz person? does he really have enough influence to cause a substantial amount of people to not want to buy the game? 

He's a guy who's in the same group as Moogy and Bakastel. They have enough influence to get certain obscure doujinge licensed, but I can't exactly see them being enough to stop people from buying it.

Edited by VirginSmasher

1 minute ago, DharmaFreedom said:

No, because no matter how popular herkz is (he's reasonably popular), most buyers will never read fuwanovel, reddit, 4chan, or herkz' tweets directly, and will have no idea about any of this stuff.

8 minutes ago, DharmaFreedom said:

He has more influence in the anime scene than the VN scene (he's an editor over at Commiesubs.) A certain faction of VN and anime fans don't like him due to his "liberal" editing style, and that faction is (likely) bigger in the VN scene.

2 hours ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

A scene in Subahibi is being cut due to legal fears.

Seriously...? Well that sucks. 

How do we know they won't cut more from the game while they are at it. I know that is really paranoid, but if they already cut one thing, they might have cut more. 

How do you know they cut something? I couldn't see anything about that on their twitter. 

Just now, Dergonu said:

How do we know they won't cut more from the game while they are at it. I know that is really paranoid, but if they already cut one thing, they might have cut more. 

How do you know they cut something? I couldn't see anything about that on their twitter. 

You didn't see the reason why.

"For legal reasons." Meaning it was impossible to not cut it. The other scenes will be fine. Hell, there aren't even any mosaics. This is just pure paranoia.

It was said on their panel.

6 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Frontwing said so during their panel. They were open about them cutting the sequence, and it seems very unlikely there's even more cut content because they would have said so when they mentioned this.

The "scene" being cut is a 10 line bestiality sequence with a CG attached. It's a very small part of a bigger scene, and its loss isn't of particular importance to the rest of the VN.

1 minute ago, Decay said:

Frontwing said so during their panel. They were open about them cutting the sequence, and it seems very unlikely there's even more cut content because they would have said so when they mentioned this.

The "scene" being cut is a 10 line bestiality sequence with a CG attached. It's a very small part of a bigger scene, and its loss isn't of particular importance to the rest of the VN.

I see. Well, that's good. Guess I'll read the Japanese version on the side to see it. 

Why would this cause issues, though? Mangagamer already released BBH, and that has beastiality. Maggot Baits does as well. How come it isn't causing issues for them. 

I will update the first post with frontwing stuff probably tomorrow sometime. I will wait for Frontwing to officially update stuff since their laptop supposedly died with the announcements. I want to make sure I get factual information from them to add to it.

The scene they cut is the scene with the dog which is a shame not because of the content cut but because any content was cut at all. That said the announcements that it will be unmosaiced is a step in the right direction and I imagine that this will only be good for the industry overall and for us. Denpasoft/Sekai Project's partner's will probably need to begin following suit and releasing uncensored/unmosaiced content since there is yet another competitor that is willing to release unmosaiced.

The censorship issue is an issue, however, and a pretty big one because all it takes is one thing to be allowed to get censored without backlash and they will begin pushing to see what else they can censor. Nintendo/Square-Enix is my example for this specifically with Bravely Default and the ton of games that came after that began censoring as a result. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. 

That said the legal issue probably has less to do with the legality in one country but because it's something they don't think they can pass in multiple via Steam (which seems to also be the only platform). Either way complain about it because censorship is still censorship. That said I'm probably going to pick it up anyway (the price is too damn reasonable and everything else seems on par for the course) just be aware of the issue that can result out of this. The other issue is we don't know the translation and polish quality as they didn't have the best record with chiruchiru michiru but seemed to be improving. Still doesn't hurt to be cautions. One final thing to be aware of is it seems that the game will have DRM (Steam)...whether it has additional they haven't said.

As for their other titles we didn't really find out hardly anything about them (hoping the press releases) gives a tad more info. (Moimoro Closet and two secret projects don't really tell us much). Technically they only had two game announcements and announcements of upcoming game announcements. 

7 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Why would this cause issues, though? Mangagamer already released BBH, and that has beastiality. Maggot Baits does as well. How come it isn't causing issues for them. 

It's likely because Frontwing have never dealt with this stuff and are simply extremely paranoid. 

2 minutes ago, novurdim said:

It's likely because Frontwing have never dealt with this stuff and are simply extremely paranoid. 

Mangagamer also has the added benefit of releasing its games through their own website. Games with that type of content simply won't get a steam release. Wonderful Days is only being released on Steam. I bet that is the primary reason for the paranoia. 

4 minutes ago, kyrt said:

Games with that type of content simply won't get a steam release. Wonderful Days is only being released on Steam. I bet that is the primary reason for the paranoia. 

It sure is, but that wouldn't be included in the "steam" game and there are worse things in the free half-official 18+ patches that noone controls. A pure and distilled paranoia. Oh well, I just hope it really is not that needed for the scene. 

23 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

I see. Well, that's good. Guess I'll read the Japanese version on the side to see it. 

Different lawyers will sometimes tell you different things. If a lawyer tells you not to do something, you should probably listen to them, otherwise what are you paying them for? Just because MG released a VN with a bestiality scene doesn't mean it's a fully safe thing to do, especially when the contexts of the scenes differ.

6 hours ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

So, who won AX?

Mangagamer. Damekoi is one of the milestone VNs, we'll finally have a Maruto game in English, and Evenicle is the gameplay eroge I'm most interested in after the Baldr series. 

Sekai didn't do much outside their newfound yuzusoft obsession (three titles from the same partner in simultaneous translation, that may be the new record), so even though I'm pretty hyped for Nanairo Reincarnation, MG's new announcements still seem a bit more surefire. 

Frontwing probably decided not to reveal their major cards for now, JAST is dead. 

Edited by novurdim