Kyuuketsuki no Libra TL quality

Dergonu

48 minutes ago, wyldstrykr said:

looking at this thread, im starting to think that some/few people will make a fan translation patch of this like in the konosora......

If that happens I will be more than happy to play the game again. Until then however that's a big no no from me. Motherfucking stomach bam. Wtf guys seriously.

Now let me put a positive spin on this VN ... It has some rather interesting sexual scenes and moments in it that I couldn't simply ignore ... Plotwise so far that I have read it's nothing to write home about but sexual content here with the provided plot isn't that bad at all, provided that you have nothing against urination fetish xD ...

Yeah, gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with it. I prefer original context and meaning, true - but that doesn't mean I want it to be disorganized nonsense. There's a huge difference between three main camps: re-invention("Americanization"), legibility(my pick), and utter chaos~

They had really great/friendly PR - which is why many of us backed it (beyond the inital interest). But it almost feels worse than IMHHW... :amane:

EDIT: I'm hoping they take it as a learning experience - I'm willing to give them another chance, if they decide to work on something else later (it's not like MG had a great start either). If nothing else, I like how they interact with the community, and their general behavior - but that can only take a business so far.

Edited by Suzu Fanatic

It sounds like MiKandi JP had no connections in the English VN scene and ended up overpaying for the sort of contract English translation services you'd find in Japan.  Typical rookie error.  Rates for VN translation (and Japanese pop culture media in general) are especially low because fans are willing to work for far below market rates, and sometimes devote more energy to the work as well.  MiKandi Japan failed to leverage that to their advantage.

This is disappointing and serves as a stark reminder that new publishers can't be trusted to meet even basic quality standards.  We've seen this over and over again from just about every new company to the business. 

4 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

They had really great/friendly PR - which is why many of us backed it (beyond the inital interest). But it almost feels worse than IMHHW... :amane:

For me, it's significantly worse than IMHHW.  I entirely wrote off MoeNovel; I hoped they crashed and burned, because I didn't like their philosophy towards "adapting" games, and I didn't want it to be successful and spread.  I can't find it within me to be angry at MiKandi.  I've written off Libra itself as not worth trying to struggle through, but I can't help but root for people who put as much care as MiKandi themselves obviously did into this project (I mean, everything they did but the translation was great).  The likely total failure of Libra makes me sad.

5 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

Now let me put a positive spin on this VN ... It has some rather interesting sexual scenes and moments in it that I couldn't simply ignore ... Plotwise so far that I have read it's nothing to write home about but sexual content here with the provided plot isn't that bad at all, provided that you have nothing against urination fetish xD ...

We need to dissociate here between the VN proper and the terrible translation.

Likewise I like Konosora as a VN a lot, it definitely didn't deserve the butchering. Konosora's H scenes were probably cookie-cutter as VNDB suggests, but its slice of life, the characters and their chemistry are pretty good. The whole VN gives off a cozy impression.

However shit happened and fate conspired to bring us these VNs in a terrible state.

7 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

This is disappointing and serves as a stark reminder that new publishers can't be trusted to meet even basic quality standards.  We've seen this over and over again from just about every new company to the business. 

at least some company does do crowd funding at that time.... it may be okay if it is not kickstarter or something but still..........

also do i suffer with this for more that 50 hours?!? (according to vndb)

also there are some keyboard keys that doesnt say in the game (Z,X,F1.....)

It's a shame that the translation they delivered isn't as good as the VN itself, I myself didn't expect I will like it this much. The more I read it, the more I wish they actually payed attention to correct sentences usage, proper romanization of some names (for example, I am not sure "Racronia" was correct name for that vampire hometown, I think it should have said "Lacronia", maybe I am wrong, but I definitively feel like "Lacronia" was the correct name), at times misplaced pronouns ("she" instead of "he", "her" instead of "his" and so on), jokes not properly delivered, some character's speeches not properly delivered, and so on and so forth ... I basically have to concentrate myself on ignoring all of these bigger and minor issues that it simply kills my mood at times, even though I kind of like the cast (except the protagonist) and leaves me to desire more and better. MiKandi really made a rookie mistake here by hiring not so competent translators. This VN definiviely deserved more than it got and I am saddened on how many potential fans might be put off by not-so-good delivery that MiKandi pulled off.

13 hours ago, TexasDice said:

Actual footage of any editor going past the first page

EKTCW0t.gif

That's footage of them still on the first page trying to figure out what the hell "The sun already exploded so it's not even dangerous. You should have pointed that part out when you butted in on my line. You need to work on that." actually means ...

9 hours ago, Okarin said:

"Two can play at that game" ---> "I'm gonna do the same to you".

Shuma will refuse too? "If you refuse, then I too will refuse. And you shall suffer as I am suffering, and we can suffer together throughout eternity. And at the end of days you shall know that I too can refuse as well as you, Mwahahaha"  :P 

The meaning of the phrase is slightly different. It means that the person will copy the others' plan, trick, or strategy. So Shuma is saying he will copy her strategy of ... whatever she's doing and possibly direct it back at her. Taken from the meaning of "game" that means plan, tactic, or strategy ("oh, so that's her game.") That may not sound like a big difference but it makes a big difference when applying the technique. 

Whether this line makes sense or not really depends on context, and whether there's a game she's playing (or that he thinks she's playing) for him to copy. If there is it makes sense, if there isn't it doesn't make sense.

If it does make sense, I still think the sentence could still benefit from a slight rearranging :3 :

"if you refuse, well ... two can play that game." The first part of the sentence is horrible, BTW xD

Shifting the position of the pause to where I put it gives emphasis and weight to the message that "two can play that game" in a similar way that giving it its own sentence does. It isolates it and focuses the readers' attention solely onto it, thereby giving that message more importance. Whereas placing the pause where it currently is in the screenshot is just an incompetent piece of writing :P

Kidding, kidding (Totally not kidding xD)

If we're nitpicking (I love nitpicking):

6 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

"if you refuse, well ... two can play that game."

Your "can play that game" version of the idiom has a weird feel to me, compared to the "can play at that game" in the Libra TL. Apparently your choice was nearly on an equal footing in the early 2000s, but then the gap widened again: https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=can+play+that+game%2Ccan+play+at+that+game&year_start=1800&year_end=2018&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Ccan play that game%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Ccan play at that game%3B%2Cc0. Alas, Ngram doesn't have data beyond 2008... I thought maybe it was a regional difference, but hell, apparently there's even a US English movie with your version of the expression as its title, so who knows.

Edit: Just noticed NGram actually has a little box where you can select American English vs. British English. If anything, "two can play at that game" looks to be even more consistently popular in British English. :shrug:

Edited by Fred the Barber

3 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

If we're nitpicking (I love nitpicking):

Your "can play that game" version of the idiom has a weird feel to me, compared to the "can play at that game" in the Libra TL. Apparently your choice was nearly on an equal footing in the early 2000s, but then the gap widened again:

It's more logical and consistent to me -> I play this game, I play that game, I play cricket (not "at cricket"), we play rugby, I play his game, I play my game.

To me it's more logical to say "That's his game. Well, I can play it just as well" which morphs into "two can play that game" rather than say "two can play at that game". People use both, but I like the version I use better :P 

We could all be getting Mandela Effected here, because I can't say I've ever really heard it without the "at," even though I must have. What this means is that it's basically all the same in your head, regardless of how it's said. Your brain catalogues all instances under one category, your favored one, without even thinking about it.