Help to clean up my plan to read list

Sparteh

So I just finished reading Dies Irae which was my 50th VN! But when I was deciding what to read next and checked my list I found that it was way to large. I have nether money nor time to play them all. So I came here for help in order to decide which VNs to prioritize and which to ditch. I would like to reduce my plan to read list by at least 50%. My Japanese level is at level where I could finish Eustia and Grisaia. For me, story is the most important and unless it is written very very well, I don't really like pure slice of life stories (unless they have some sort of twist like fitting fantasy elements or something similar). Also I despise otome games. 

My list:

1. Air
  2. Akatsuki no Goei ~Tsumibukaki Shuumatsuron~
  3. Ame no Marginal
  4. Angel Beats!
  5. An Octave Higher
  6. Ayakashibito
  7. Baldr Sky Dive1 “Lost Memory”
  8. Baldr Sky Dive2 “Recordare”
  9. Baldr Sky "Zero"
  10. Cartagra ~Tsuki kurui no Yamai~
  11. Chaos;Child
  12. Chrono Clock
  13. Clannad
  14. Corpse Party BloodCovered
  15. Coμ - Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku -
  16. Devils Devel Concept
  17. Disorder 6
  18. Dracu-Riot!
  19. Dunamis 15
  20. ef - a fairy tale of the two.
  21. Eien no Aselia -The Spirit of Eternity Sword-
  22. Eiyuu*Senki
  23. Evolimit
  24. Fate/Extella
  25. Fate/Extra
  26. Fate/Extra CCC
  27. Forest
  28. Gekkou no Carnevale
  29. Hatsukoi 1/1
  30. Ikinari Anata ni Koishiteiru
  31. I/O
  32. Irotoridori no Sekai
  33. Jingai Makyou
  34. Kamaitachi no Yoru
  35. Kami no Ue no Mahoutsukai
  36. Kanon
  37. Kara no Shoujo - The Second Episode
  38. Katawa Shoujo
  39. Koiken Otome
  40. Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort
  41. Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
  42. Kyokugen Dasshutsu 9-Jikan 9-Nin 9 no Tobira
  43. Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV Zennin Shibou Desu
  44. Little Busters!
  45. Melty Blood
  46. Mirai Nostalgia
  47. Myth
  48. Negai no Kakera to Hakugin no Agreement
  49. Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President.
  50. Ourai no Gahkthun ~What a Shining Braves~
  51. Phantom of Inferno
  52. Remember11 -The Age of Infinity-
  53. Rose Guns Days
  54. Sakura no Mori † Dreamers
  55. Sakura no Uta -Sakura no Mori no Ue o Mau-
  56. Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo
  57. Shinigami no Testament ~menuet of epistula~
  58. Shuffle!
  59. Silverio Vendetta
  60. Sorcery Jokers
  61. Soukou Akki Muramasa
  62. Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~
  63. Suzukaze no Melt -Where Wishes are Drawn to Each Other-
  64. Symphonic Rain
  65. Tasogare no Sinsemilla
  66. Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide
  67. Tokyo Necro
  68. Tomoyo After ~It's a Wonderful Life~
  69. Utawarerumono
  70. White Album 2 ~Introductory Chapter~
  71. World End Economica
  72. Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na

- "Shuffle!"- Ikinari Anata ni Koishiteiru probably the worst ones in the list personally enjoyed the later but it's just a mediocre charage(from what i remember). -" Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President" i guess as well, I personally remember enjoying(like 3-4 years ago...) it but don't remember it being strong in anyway story wise.- "Koisuru natsu no last resort" just a charage not strong on story.

Some of the best I would prioritise not in any particular order (again from the ones I have read myself or plan to):

Soukou Akki Muramasa

Sakura no Uta

Tasogare no Sinsemilla

Akatsuki no Goei ~Tsumibukaki Shuumatsuron~ (I mean there are flaws but I sure did enjoy the trilogy, MC is a sick cunt)

Chronoclock (havent read it but if its anywhere near as good as Amatsutsumi its worth it)

Ourai no Gahkthun

Kami no ue no mahoutsukai (Dropped it myself, didnt feel I would enjoy it after reading about how the routes end.... It was good from what I read though)

Prioritize:

Air:All Key titles are cool but this one has an unique setting and theme.Also not too long  so don't have filler text.

Eiyuu Senki:If you want a harem with a lot of cute girls go for this one.This is a lighthearted one.

Sharin no Kuni:Kind of a slow paced version of G-senjou.I liked the community critisizm.

Ditch:

Dracu-riot!:Boring and uninteresting.

Ikikoi:Go for it if you are masochist.

Edited by Deniz

12 hours ago, AKB4ty7 said:

Ourai no Gahkthun

Hey, shut up about Gahkthun. :leecher: It's definitely worth a shot if you like Sakurai Hikaru's writing, and I'd only tell you to drop it if you already know that you don't.

Spoiler

Also, Berta.

1. Koiken Otome
  2. Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort
  3. Myth
  4. Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President.
  5. Clannad

I really can't comment on most of these, but from what I've heard you can drop Koiken Otome and Koisuru Natsu if you don't like moege (if you do, I can't really advise you either way, as I haven't read them). And from personal experience, I think you can definitely pass on Myth. It's great if you're expressly looking for something to confuse you, but apart from being a unique experience that you need to think about to understand, it doesn't have much value. Myth is horribly marred, more than anything, by its lackluster cast and throughout the VN it becomes really hard to care about them. And My Girlfriend is the President is just horribly, horribly boring. It fails to capitalize on its absurd premise and just becomes a lackluster moe game I felt as though I could probably get everything this VN offered done better somewhere else. And Clannad is a great tearjerker that develops its main relationship waaaaaaay beyond anything you usually see, but it's far too long for its own good so I'd honestly recommend passing on that one too.

Okay, let's see what I could think here. As for recommendation, I think if you favor the story then you might chose Eien no Aselia (War story with some gameplay), Symphonic Rain if you're in mood of lighter VN, and maybe Sakura no Mori if you in mood for some horror. And I think you should just drop HatsuKoi if you dislike slice of life, Yoake because most of those were slice of life even though there's supposed to had some story, and Koiken Otome because it's just some moege ie slice of life with a bit of chuuni. Hope my answer could help, and just ask me if I didn't clear there.

I suppose you like nakige? You have a lot of Key titles there.

Which I'd recommend leaving for later for the sake of maximising the number of games played, games like Little Busters or Clannad are very time-intensive. That's not bad, but it's a problem when you set a schedule and need to play the maximum number of games.

From what you listed :

Games to play :

Baldr sky dive 1 & 2 (great game really)

The third akagoei (unfinished feel after the read, but good nonetheless)

Shinigami no Testament (3eyes, i love their games, it's kinda a "light chuunige")

Sakura no uta (well, scaji)

Evolimit (best game from propeller imo)

Sorcery jokers (3rd eyes again)

As for the rest, there are some good games, for example, silverio vendetta dans kami no ue no mahoutsukai (i didn't play both, but they are supposed to be good ˆˆ).

Just drop comyu though, i hate this game with passion (while curiously love others games by the same writer). You can drop dracu-riot too, story wise it's nothing stellar, yoake too. Having played amatsutsumi, i could say that you can drop mirai nostalgia too (same company, but i haven't played it, so i don't really know).

Still, this list have very few bad games, so... backlog i guess ? :ren:

Edited by Tweek91330

Given your dislike for slice of life, you can take these off your list:

1. Chrono Clock
  2. Dracu-Riot!
  3. Hatsukoi 1/1
  4. Ikinari Anata ni Koishiteiru
  5. Katawa Shoujo
  6. Koiken Otome
  7. Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort
  8. Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
  9. Mirai Nostalgia
  10. Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President.
  11. Shuffle!
  12. Suzukaze no Melt -Where Wishes are Drawn to Each Other-
  13. Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na

It seems opinions vary a lot :P But since you are just looking for opinions anyway here is mine.

Air - not bad, but definitely the weakest of Key VNs, so if you dont have to read them all skip this one.
Katawa Shoujo - unlees you have fetish for disabled girls you can skip this one. Or you could just finish Rin route and skip the rest.
Coμ - Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku - I didn't finished it (yet) but I'm stuck at >true< route which supposed to be the best, and I have zero motivation to continue reading. Medicore story about bunch of kids that get some kind of superpower and no one have any good idea (including scenario writer) what to do with it.
Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President - one of the worst VNs I read (or at least tryied). Some people like absurd setting and stupid dialogues however, so depending on your preferences you could read it anyway (or at least try).
Symphonic Rain - if you want rhytm game just play OSU, if you want good story go anywhere else.

On 6/19/2017 at 8:45 PM, Deniz said:

Prioritize:

Air:All Key titles are cool but this one has an unique setting and theme.Also not too long  so don't have filler text.

Eiyuu Senki:If you want a harem with a lot of cute girls go for this one.This is a lighthearted one.

Sharin no Kuni:Kind of a slow paced version of G-senjou.I liked the community critisizm.

Ditch:

Dracu-riot!:Boring and uninteresting.

Ikikoi:Go for it if you are masochist.

Does all Key VNs have "Key ending" like their anime or just anime? Btw. Why masochist if you read Ikikoi?

On 6/19/2017 at 7:14 PM, AKB4ty7 said:

- "Shuffle!"- Ikinari Anata ni Koishiteiru probably the worst ones in the list personally enjoyed the later but it's just a mediocre charage(from what i remember). -" Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President" i guess as well, I personally remember enjoying(like 3-4 years ago...) it but don't remember it being strong in anyway story wise.- "Koisuru natsu no last resort" just a charage not strong on story.

Some of the best I would prioritise not in any particular order (again from the ones I have read myself or plan to):

Soukou Akki Muramasa

Sakura no Uta

Tasogare no Sinsemilla

Akatsuki no Goei ~Tsumibukaki Shuumatsuron~ (I mean there are flaws but I sure did enjoy the trilogy, MC is a sick cunt)

Chronoclock (havent read it but if its anywhere near as good as Amatsutsumi its worth it)

Ourai no Gahkthun

Kami no ue no mahoutsukai (Dropped it myself, didnt feel I would enjoy it after reading about how the routes end.... It was good from what I read though)

Was Amatsumi that good then? Never read it, but the last time I heard such comparison it ended up story about tentacle rape... Not fan of those...

On 6/20/2017 at 7:50 AM, akaritan said:

Hey, shut up about Gahkthun. :leecher: It's definitely worth a shot if you like Sakurai Hikaru's writing, and I'd only tell you to drop it if you already know that you don't.

Hide contents

Also, Berta.

1. Koiken Otome
  2. Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort
  3. Myth
  4. Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President.
  5. Clannad

I really can't comment on most of these, but from what I've heard you can drop Koiken Otome and Koisuru Natsu if you don't like moege (if you do, I can't really advise you either way, as I haven't read them). And from personal experience, I think you can definitely pass on Myth. It's great if you're expressly looking for something to confuse you, but apart from being a unique experience that you need to think about to understand, it doesn't have much value. Myth is horribly marred, more than anything, by its lackluster cast and throughout the VN it becomes really hard to care about them. And My Girlfriend is the President is just horribly, horribly boring. It fails to capitalize on its absurd premise and just becomes a lackluster moe game I felt as though I could probably get everything this VN offered done better somewhere else. And Clannad is a great tearjerker that develops its main relationship waaaaaaay beyond anything you usually see, but it's far too long for its own good so I'd honestly recommend passing on that one too.

When you talk about Myth being confusing, in which way you mean it? Confusing in terms of complexity like lets say Ever 17/Umineko or confusing in terms that it is nonsense?

On 6/20/2017 at 1:04 PM, littleshogun said:

Okay, let's see what I could think here. As for recommendation, I think if you favor the story then you might chose Eien no Aselia (War story with some gameplay), Symphonic Rain if you're in mood of lighter VN, and maybe Sakura no Mori if you in mood for some horror. And I think you should just drop HatsuKoi if you dislike slice of life, Yoake because most of those were slice of life even though there's supposed to had some story, and Koiken Otome because it's just some moege ie slice of life with a bit of chuuni. Hope my answer could help, and just ask me if I didn't clear there.

How difficult is gaming part of Aselia? I am terrible at that.

23 hours ago, Tweek91330 said:

From what you listed :

Games to play :

Baldr sky dive 1 & 2 (great game really)

The third akagoei (unfinished feel after the read, but good nonetheless)

Shinigami no Testament (3eyes, i love their games, it's kinda a "light chuunige")

Sakura no uta (well, scaji)

Evolimit (best game from propeller imo)

Sorcery jokers (3rd eyes again)

As for the rest, there are some good games, for example, silverio vendetta dans kami no ue no mahoutsukai (i didn't play both, but they are supposed to be good ˆˆ).

Just drop comyu though, i hate this game with passion (while curiously love others games by the same writer). You can drop dracu-riot too, story wise it's nothing stellar, yoake too. Having played amatsutsumi, i could say that you can drop mirai nostalgia too (same company, but i haven't played it, so i don't really know).

Still, this list have very few bad games, so... backlog i guess ? :ren:

Personally I have heard a lot of bad about 3rd eyes games. My friend more or less spoiled me the ending of Testament. So far it looked like not bad chuuni with a terrible ending.

21 hours ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

Given your dislike for slice of life, you can take these off your list:

1. Chrono Clock
  2. Dracu-Riot!
  3. Hatsukoi 1/1
  4. Ikinari Anata ni Koishiteiru
  5. Katawa Shoujo
  6. Koiken Otome
  7. Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort
  8. Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
  9. Mirai Nostalgia
  10. Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President.
  11. Shuffle!
  12. Suzukaze no Melt -Where Wishes are Drawn to Each Other-
  13. Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na

It is not that I hate SoL, but rather I hate pure SoL because it usually turns out to be just badly written rom/com. So far from what I have read I only liked anime/light novel Oregairu because it was that well written and had interesting characters, not typical trashy ones. Most stories are ether dumb mc + moe or hot heroine or boring shoujo anime level nonsense.

20 hours ago, Zantax said:

It seems opinions vary a lot :P But since you are just looking for opinions anyway here is mine.

Air - not bad, but definitely the weakest of Key VNs, so if you dont have to read them all skip this one.
Katawa Shoujo - unlees you have fetish for disabled girls you can skip this one. Or you could just finish Rin route and skip the rest.
Coμ - Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku - I didn't finished it (yet) but I'm stuck at >true< route which supposed to be the best, and I have zero motivation to continue reading. Medicore story about bunch of kids that get some kind of superpower and no one have any good idea (including scenario writer) what to do with it.
Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President - one of the worst VNs I read (or at least tryied). Some people like absurd setting and stupid dialogues however, so depending on your preferences you could read it anyway (or at least try).
Symphonic Rain - if you want rhytm game just play OSU, if you want good story go anywhere else.

Haven't read Katawa Shoujo so I need to ask. Are you talking about mentally disable heroines (like completely dumb etc.) or one of those Japanese fetishes for girls without limbs?

How good is Kara no Shoujo franchise? Especially if you are spoiled about the ending of 2nd VN? I have heard that it was pretty good mystery VN, but if ending is what I heard (basically bad end for true route) is that mystery still worth reading?

3 minutes ago, Sparteh said:

It is not that I hate SoL, but rather I hate pure SoL because it usually turns out to be just badly written rom/com. So far from what I have read I only liked anime/light novel Oregairu because it was that well written and had interesting characters, not typical trashy ones. Most stories are ether dumb mc + moe or hot heroine or boring shoujo anime level nonsense.

The titles I recommended taking off the list are the average rom-com ones. I left the good stuff in.

30 minutes ago, Sparteh said:

Haven't read Katawa Shoujo so I need to ask. Are you talking about mentally disable heroines (like completely dumb etc.) or one of those Japanese fetishes for girls without limbs?

Whut? There are people that dont know what kind of VN Katawa Shoujo is? Suddenly I feel old :(

Girls are physically disabled and I said fetish as a joke - its not anything weird. It's quite normal romance charage, just every heroine have some kind of disability. Why it is (was?) so popular... there are probably other people who could explain that better than me.

1 hour ago, Sparteh said:

When you talk about Myth being confusing, in which way you mean it? Confusing in terms of complexity like lets say Ever 17/Umineko or confusing in terms that it is nonsense?

I don't think it's necessarily nonsense. I'm sorry if my explanation is a bit unclear (as it's been months since I read it), but basically, things happen, and the explanations about why they're happening isn't necessarily given, so you have to think about it to understand fully. Furthermore, I remember feeling like there was a lot going on and you had to keep track of all of it.

Well, perhaps it's better if you just drop that if you terrible at the gameplay. Actually the gameplay was easy if you didn't care for perfect score, but it could be challanging later though. And instead of Aselia (Just drop it along with Baldr Sky if you're terrible at gameplay) I'll change my recommendation to I/O and Evolimit. Both of those were sci-fi, and quite interesting at that. Just play it even if you already knew about spoiler.

As for Katawa Shoujo it's just VN with physically disabled girl (Blind, deaf, lost legs, lost hands, and burned face) as the heroines. However what makes it interesting is that it was developed by 4ch with some trouble in production iirc, and yet it managed to had story almost as good as any standard charage (Keep in mind that there's also the year of the production was at 2009, which back then didn't had any particular OELVN iirc).

Edited by littleshogun

18 hours ago, Sparteh said:

Was Amatsumi that good then? Never read it, but the last time I heard such comparison it ended up story about tentacle rape... Not fan of those...

Honestly, I haven't finished it myself(about 50% through it, put it on hold since I felt in the mood for something light hearted), I just hear a lot of good about it, I do get the vibe that the ending isn't gonna be rainbows and sunshine.  Would be very surprised if tentacle rape popped up in it though.....

4 hours ago, AKB4ty7 said:

Honestly, I haven't finished it myself(about 50% through it, put it on hold since I felt in the mood for something light hearted), I just hear a lot of good about it, I do get the vibe that the ending isn't gonna be rainbows and sunshine.  Would be very surprised if tentacle rape popped up in it though.....

Lol, nah no tentacles rape in this game. Maybe he meant the fact that there are h-scenes thoughouht all the game even if not in the heroine said route.

As for my opinion on this one, i have mixed feelings...

While the true path was really good, i was half bored during the rest of the game. The game have nice graphics and nice heroines, but story arcs weren't all that interresting before hotaru's one.

I won't comment on the end, i'll just say it was nice.

If you are already at 50%, you could as well finish it ˆˆ.

Edited by Tweek91330

22 hours ago, Zantax said:

Why it is (was?) so popular... there are probably other people who could explain that better than me.

'Cos it's GOOD. You don't have to prioritize it but you have to read it.

Kara no Shoujo's end is as sh*tty as Guilty Crown's but the story is good , even though it's kinda difficult without the walkthrough.

If you skip Clannad skip Tomoyo After, too. 

And seriously, dump that Ikikoi in the gabage can. That sh*t gave me cancer.

1 hour ago, MarcoCorvus21 said:

'Cos it's GOOD. You don't have to prioritize it but you have to read it.

Kara no Shoujo's end is as sh*tty as Guilty Crown's but the story is good , even though it's kinda difficult without the walkthrough.

If you skip Clannad skip Tomoyo After, too. 

And seriously, dump that Ikikoi in the gabage can. That sh*t gave me cancer.

Dumped Ikkikoi already.

I wonder which Guilty Crown you are talking about. VN was quite good and its ending I think very fitting for prequel as for anime one... if you go with theories about symbolic ending then it was not bad as well.