What antivirus software do you prefer to use?

Dreamysyu

3 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

What exactly do you mean by that? I'm pretty sure my computer's not infected with anything at all.

Well, thing is, you have no way of telling if that's true, and the record tells us that in fact it most likely is not.

As wary as you may be, there is certain malware that is simply unavoidable. Fortunately, we are not its target. 

Let's see, for the sake of an example, do you remember all the fuss Stuxnet made in 2012? That is deemed to be the greatest known endeavor to date in malware development, exploiting up to 4 zero-day vulnerabilities. FYI a zero-day vulnerability is an exploit the software company itself is not even aware of yet. They're obviously really difficult to find, and ludicrously expensive to buy, yet Stuxnet made use of 4. 

Well, when shit like that comes to light you realize that in all likelihood every system in the world is infected in one way or another. Even intelligence agencies put malware into commercial software. Ask Snowden about all that.

1 hour ago, Thyndd said:

Let's see, for the sake of an example, do you remember all the fuss Stuxnet made in 2012? That is deemed to be the greatest known endeavor to date in malware development, exploiting up to 4 zero-day vulnerabilities. FYI a zero-day vulnerability is an exploit the software company itself is not even aware of yet. They're obviously really difficult to find, and ludicrously expensive to buy, yet Stuxnet made use of 4. 

Yeah, but zero-day attacks have decreased significantly even in the last few years, and careful measures to protect your PC can still help to avoid infection. And even if one comes up, I'm pretty sure Malwarebytes wouldn't have any problems picking it shortly after its release.

1 hour ago, Thyndd said:

Well, when shit like that comes to light you realize that in all likelihood every system in the world is infected in one way or another. Even intelligence agencies put malware into commercial software. Ask Snowden about all that.

I do agree with your point here though. Up until now, I had thought the NSA was only targeting smart phones, but I see now Windows PCs are also within their scope. And yeah, nothing you can really do about that except hope the government comes through for you and starts establishing proper limitations on surveillance (which may or may not be happening after the Shadow Brokers incident).

Edited by Kenshin_sama

I use Windows Defender and complement it with Malwarebytes. If things do go to hell beyond what those two can defend me from, I'll consider it karmatic justice for visiting some really shady locations.

I don't really care about much more than my computer being able to run and my files being safe from getting deleted at random. Though I do appreciate speed. Privacy be damned. There's too many people out there for me to be in any way notable, and even if I my privacy is being "violated", I've got little to hide.

43 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

even if I my privacy is being "violated", I've got little to hide.

You don't value your ownership of yourself? :(

43 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

There's too many people out there for me to be in any way notable

You matter a lot more than you think you do. When it comes to personal information, even children are fair game (I'm not joking).

Edited by Kenshin_sama

Malwarebytes, usually, and McAfee (but I don't know if that even counts because I don't delete it only because I can't be bothered to).

AdwCleaner for times I really fuck up.

Haven't encountered anything these cannot solve, not yet at least

The greatest antivirus is still common sense.

That said, I don't really value my personal information as well, either. Too many people out there, and I still fucked up with regards to that years ago so now it doesn't matter if I'm conscious of it or not, my privacy is practically gone.

14 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Antivirus is not enough! you need protegent, world's only antivirus with data recovery software.
Think beyond antivirus, think protegent!

This one seems like a legit commercial's line! lol

I personally use Windows Defender, maybe because it is easy to use, it gives me monthly report (never read it), tho.

As for viruses? no prob......Actually, I don't pay any attentions to this (don't realize = no viruses) :wahaha:

5 hours ago, Adhen said:

This one seems like a legit commercial's line! lol

Lol.

8 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

The greatest antivirus is still common sense.

But wouldn't common sense dictate you get an antivirus? :michiru:

I feel I should try putting out some comparisons for you guys to reference.
Avira is free, has a perfect score in every field, and is not at all a hassle to switch to.
Defender could have better protection, and is terrible about detecting legitimate software as malware.
McAfee is also lagging behind in protection, though it doesn't seem to have anything else wrong with it as far as the testing goes.
You can look here for tests on any other Win10 AV I haven't mentioned yet (there's a section at the top for Windows 7/8).

Edited by Kenshin_sama

32 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I feel I should try putting out some comparisons for you guys to reference.

Avira is free, has a perfect score in every field, and is not at all a hassle to switch to.
Defender could have better protection, and is terrible about detecting legitimate software as malware.
McAfee is also lagging behind in protection, though it doesn't seem to have anything else wrong with it as far as the testing goes.
You can look here for tests on any other Win10 AV I haven't mentioned yet (there's a section at the top for Windows 7/8).

360 Total Security actually compiles Avira and Bitdefender apart of their own AV engine - in full-protection mode it should be pretty much as effective as it is possible, especially with free software.

It's Chinese and some people suggest it spies on its users, but I don't think that's really the case. :P

Also people, Windows Defender really sucks at detecting malware, don't rely on it. :s

21 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

360 Total Security actually compiles Avira and Bitdefender apart of their own AV engine - in full-protection mode it should be pretty much as effective as it is possible, especially with free software.

Eh, idk, it doesn't seem promising.

Even though the program carries their engines, it doesn't seem to operate as efficiently as Avira or Bitdefender. https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422024,00.asp

37 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Eh, idk, it doesn't seem promising.

Even though the program carries their engines, it doesn't seem to operate as efficiently as Avira or Bitdefender. https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422024,00.asp

It's definitely slower/more demanding, as it has a lot of utilities, but the AV test didn't really specify what settings it used. On standard mode it would definitely be inferior, as it uses solely Qihoo's own AV engine. In maximum security mode it shouldn't really lag behind, but needs a strong PC if you're worried about it affecting performance. Also in my case it replaced Glary Utilities as a registry/disk cleaning tool, so it saved me from using additional software. ;)

(This reminded me I should clean my computer before it starts suffocating with dust... That can kill a PC better than any malware :p). 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

7 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

It's definitely slower/more demanding, as it has a lot of utilities, but the AV test didn't really specify what settings it used. On standard mode it would definitely be inferior, as it uses solely Qihoo's own AV engine. In maximum security mode it shouldn't really lag behind, but needs a strong PC if you're worried about it affecting performance. Also in my case it replaced Glary Utilities as a registry/disk cleaning tool. ;)

Um, is this what you were talking about?

"My company contact advised that switching the protection mode from Balanced to Security would make it scan any time a file is saved. However, even after I did so, copying the samples to a new folder didn't get any reaction from the antivirus. I had to proceed by launching every single sample and noting the results."

12 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

(This reminded me I should clean my computer before it starts suffocating with dust... That can kill a PC better than any malware :p). 

Eh, CCleaner does the job well enough, imo. If I was using the AV I would consider it, but I have no real reason to switch. You have to be very careful when it comes to registry cleaners too since their risk-benefit factor kinda tilts more toward risk.

1 hour ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Um, is this what you were talking about?

"My company contact advised that switching the protection mode from Balanced to Security would make it scan any time a file is saved. However, even after I did so, copying the samples to a new folder didn't get any reaction from the antivirus. I had to proceed by launching every single sample and noting the results."

Well, I guess it's not perfect still, but I like it... :D

1 hour ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Eh, CCleaner does the job well enough, imo. If I was using the AV I would consider it, but I have no real reason to switch. You have to be very careful when it comes to registry cleaners too since their risk-benefit factor kinda tilts more toward risk.

Well, I never really had problems with more popular tools, even with regular use things such as Glary and the said 360TS's registry cleaner doesn't seem to go rampage.

Although I also though of literal dust, which I never remember to clean off regularly enough. ;)

22 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

You don't value your ownership of yourself? :(

You matter a lot more than you think you do. When it comes to personal information, even children are fair game (I'm not joking).

I value my ownership over my things. Mostly my material things. I'd need you to better define what the hell "ownership of yourself" means before I could answer that particular question.

What I can do is elaborate on my views on privacy.
The only reasons I would want to keep my privacy are

• because I don't want to get arrested because of the more or less not entirely completely legal depending on how you're looking at it activities I may or may not engage in online;
  • because I don't want someone to come to my home and rob me or kill me;
  • depending on how you interpret 'privacy', it'd be nice if people couldn't enter my accounts and usurp my identity or empty my bank accounts, thanks.

However, I find these to be too statistically improbable to even care. I'm more likely to get run over by a car on the street. And by then I don't really care about my privacy.
Even if I were being surveilled, the ones with the means to do so are not petty criminals who'd wander in through the door and kill me.
For these reasons, whatever on my privacy or whatever.

Incidentally, have you ever played Don't take it personally, babe, it's just not your story?

6 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

9  false detections out of 1 235 229 samples. "terrible"

Well, I really don't know much about antiviruses, so I can't comment more than how exaggerated the claims seem to the layman.