What antivirus software do you prefer to use?

Dreamysyu

Avast antivirus, windows firewall. Good protection, but it's a bit bloated. Doesn't matter so much when you have an excess of RAM, but if I were RAM deprived and using Windows 10 I'd probably just stick with Windows Defender/Windows essential security.

Malwarebytes is good to have as an offline scan also. It complements your antivirus software.

1 hour ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Malwarebytes is good to have as an offline scan also. It complements your antivirus software.

Agree with this.

I use Vipre on one laptop that all I do is watch shows on as it's hooked up by HDMI Cable, does a good enough job. On this one I use bitdefender as I got some sort of virus using Webroot. Eset and Kaspersky are good too, I used to have them back when keycodes were found like ants (and blocked just as fast)
My BitDefender is good for the next 3 or so years, so I'm sticking with that.

I don't, I live on the edge. Whenever my laptop has noticeable lag or just plain doesn't work, I find about five of the most sketchiest and obscure free antivirus software and run all of them. Usually, makes my laptop work like new again..... just sometimes I end up missing some extra folders.  

4 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Avast antivirus, windows firewall. Good protection, but it's a bit bloated. Doesn't matter so much when you have an excess of RAM, but if I were RAM deprived and using Windows 10 I'd probably just stick with Windows Defender/Windows essential security.

Didju go through that one funtime earlier around Feb where Avast was detecting thousands of false positive VBS: Malware Gens

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

Didju go through that one funtime earlier around Feb where Avast was detecting thousands of false positive VBS: Malware Gens

Nup. It seems like it was caused by a new version of the program (I think,) and while my virus definitions are up to date (kinda ... generally up to date anyway) I have an older version of the program. Mainly because on occasion updates have a habit of breaking things and so I let other people be the guinea pigs and I'll just stick with what works :P 

That and I rarely do full scans with Avast. I surfed for years on XP with zero antivirus protection and without a problem, so I don't feel the need to keep on top of my scans. I mainly use Avast for real time protection and every once in a great while I'll run some scans xD

• 1 month later...

I have BitDefender now, and while it's damn good, it WILL BLOCK any non-english file. Which means if I try to install and run a VN I just got, BD will say it's "ransomware" or "a potential generic virus" and block it. Worst part is, when you go into the dash to undo what it did, the file is crap/not restored properly, so I'm screwed. Haven't played anything in a while because this keeps happening and I'm just tired of having to deal with it. Even when I go to allow the folder/program, it'll still block and delete it whenever the laptop is restarted.

Posting this here today because I've spent the whole goddamn day trying to overwrite it, even doing what BD's support says to do, but nothing. So I give up and need to vent.

8 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

What about disabling it during download/install?

that's fine, but like I said, once it gets turned back on, even if you whitelist/allow the file & folder, for some reason mine has still gone and automatically deleted it. With the reason that it's some random, generic trojan file... I ended up just giving up on installing any of the VN's I wanted to play.

I dont use any (i am just cautios with what i download and what i install),  from time to time scan my pc with 

On 12.06.2017 at 1:50 PM, Okarin said:

Malwarebytes

The best antimalware soft i'v seen for 7 years of my work, so if in the end i start using one it will be Malwarbytes anti-malware.

• 3 months later...

I am personally of the opinion that as long as you know what you are doing and have some knowledge on how malware works, you should be able to avoid the vast majority of it. For those that there is no way to avoid, your typical AV won't be able to detect it either. 

So, I don't use any AV, and of course I know my devices are infected, like everyone's, and it's not like an AV would do anything for me anyway. 

You see, this must be the only conspiranoic theory that is actually true. Yes, you have malware. Yes, every great corporation has malware and even governmental informatic systems have malware. There is no such thing as privacy and safety in current times. 

4 hours ago, Thyndd said:

I am personally of the opinion that as long as you know what you are doing and have some knowledge on how malware works, you should be able to avoid the vast majority of it. For those that there is no way to avoid, your typical AV won't be able to detect it either. 

So, I don't use any AV, and of course I know my devices are infected, like everyone's, and it's not like an AV would do anything for me anyway. 

You see, this must be the only conspiranoic theory that is actually true. Yes, you have malware. Yes, every great corporation has malware and even governmental informatic systems have malware. There is no such thing as privacy and safety in current times. 

As much as I believe you're right I don't think I'm brave enough to do without any AV software. It would freak me out with all the stuff I do on my PC. :P

I actually quite like my 360 Total Security, it has a few cool utilities outside of being a straight-up anti-virus. Might affect performance on weaker set-ups, but I'm now benefiting from a monster rig my brother have left behind when moving out, so CPU power is never an issue. :3

BTW, the said gamer's monster rig would most likely cry every night if it was sentient, being used primarily for writing in Word and displaying 2D anime ladies. :D

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

I personally use Avira + BGPKiller for a free, reliable antivirus. It's highly rated on AV-Test, and it runs seamlessly in the background with BGPKiller (which is very lightweight) blocking any and all popups.

5 hours ago, Thyndd said:

What exactly do you mean by that? I'm pretty sure my computer's not infected with anything at all.