Any VN recommendations that will run on my specs

Yui Gahama

Can anyone recommend me some Visual Novels that will run on my PC properly and not like a powerpoint presentation in a high resolution preset.
Specs:

Intel Core i5-2310 2.9ghz - 3.2ghz boost
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1gb DDR2
4GB Dual Channel RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks in Advance for those who will reply:D:D:D

1 hour ago, Yui Gahama said:

Can anyone recommend me some Visual Novels that will run on my PC properly and not like a powerpoint presentation in a high resolution preset.
Specs:

4GB Dual Channel RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Well, I think most older VNs (released before 2010, I guess) shouldn't have problems running on these specs, most of them aren't really very needy. Though I wouldn't recommend anything animation-heavy.

You know, you can always try to find a demo for whatever vn you are interested in and see how it works.

16 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well, I think most older VNs (released before 2010, I guess) shouldn't have problems running on these specs, most of them aren't really very needy. Though I wouldn't recommend anything animation-heavy.

You know, you can always try to find a demo for whatever vn you are interested in and see how it works.

Well I guess I really need an upgrade then.

Arigatou na Senpai:mare:

3 minutes ago, Yui Gahama said:

Well I guess I really need an upgrade then.

I don't think so. Like I've said earlier, most VNs aren't really that needy. The oldest laptop I've ever played a VN on was just slightly better than that, and I don't remember having any problems. Actually, I don't really think that even the newer vns would have problems with that, maybe, lagging a bit, so you should try running them and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I don't think so. Like I've said earlier, most VNs aren't really that needy. The oldest laptop I've ever played a VN on was just slightly better than that, and I don't remember having any problems. Actually, I don't really think that even the newer vns would have problems with that, maybe, lagging a bit, so you should try running them and see what happens.

Okay senpai, I'll give 'em a try.
Im just kinda worried about my gpu having to run anything without crashing.

You don't really need anything more than a dual core CPU (aside from intel Atom CPU's, they're weak), 2GB's of RAM and any decent mid-grade/budget gaming GPU, no matter how old and you can run any vn with ease, e-mote/live2d included. Even the new vn's running e-mote should be running smoothly, as long as you're using a modern operating system and your gpu drivers are up to date. W7 gives a significant performance boost over older systems thanks to it's updated driver database and better hardware management.

I think the oldest PC I tried running Tenkiame on had an old Pentium D processor and some mid-grade radeon GPU back from it's period and even though it took considerably longer to load, it ran the game smoothly, even though transitions between scenes had a slight delay, due to longer memory loading times.

E-mote is actually very lightweight and will run without issues on newest and older integrated GPU's, unless you're trying to force improve visual quality through driver settings. Obviously, you have to remember about one thing - as much as it's possible to run 1080p with W7 on older specs due to driver updates, older GPU's weren't meant to ever run at these resolutions; trying to run modern games in 1080p on old GPU's will result in considerable performance drops. Besides, most of these vn's are 720p by default, so you're still upscaling their graphics for nothing.

Edited by Narcosis

6 hours ago, Narcosis said:

You don't really need anything more than a dual core CPU (aside from intel Atom CPU's, they're weak), 2GB's of RAM and any decent mid-grade/budget gaming GPU, no matter how old and you can run any vn with ease, e-mote/live2d included. Even the new vn's running e-mote should be running smoothly, as long as you're using a modern operating system and your gpu drivers are up to date. W7 gives a significant performance boost over older systems thanks to it's updated driver database and better hardware management.

I think the oldest PC I tried running Tenkiame on had an old Pentium D processor and some mid-grade radeon GPU back from it's period and even though it took considerably longer to load, it ran the game smoothly, even though transitions between scenes had a slight delay, due to longer memory loading times.

Thanks for the info senpai!:D

6 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

i have an 9 year old rig that hasnt been updated since the day i got it and was able to run nekopara with its animated sprites and cgs just fine after some tinkering so you should be fine.

Wow, so VN's are that light huh?
Thanks for the info senpai:D

Why don't you get a recent VN, say, from 2014 on, and test it? That will give you an idea of the VNs you can run.

Yes, VN are VERY light, you can see requirements on Steam. Lots of them were designed for XP and Vista. Some have received HD upgrades though and have bigger requirements.

6 minutes ago, Okarin said:

Why don't you get a recent VN, say, from 2014 on, and test it? That will give you an idea of the VNs you can run.

Yes, VN are VERY light, you can see requirements on Steam. Lots of them were designed for XP and Vista. Some have received HD upgrades though and have bigger requirements.

Okay Okabe-senpai. I'll try some:D

3 hours ago, Yui Gahama said:

Specs:

4GB Dual Channel RAM
Windows 10 Pro

In my experience, there are relatively few VNs that won't play on the computer described above.  However, there are some companies and engines your computer might have trouble with.

Giga's VNs made after 2012, including Baldr Sky Zero, will probably have trouble on your system, to varying degrees.  If you absolutely HAVE to play them, take down all programs unrelated to the game.  Instead of using a walkthrough from a browser, turn it into a pic file like a bitmap or a jpeg that can be viewed without using editing software.   The big one will be Baldr Sky Zero though... even my gaming desktop that can handle the Skyrim Special Edition at Ultra at 60 fps will sometimes fall apart on that game because of the bugs in its design.  This is a solution for when you start having trouble.

Anything made by Minori.  Minori's games' animation (primarily in more recent games) eats up a lot more RAM and CPU than it should, considering the results.  I'd suggest turning off the animation if you play one of their games and start having trouble.

Anything based on the Kirkiri engine will be playable.  Some gameplay VNs made after 2014 might be chancy. 

VNs don't generally have high-spec requirements.  The only real problem I see with your specs is the CPU... and even that shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't keep a whole bunch of windows and applications open at once.   Internet browsers, torrent clients, the Steam client, etc... you should take all these down if you are having trouble. 

If you still have problems with games that fall well-within your computer's specs, then you should probably think about doing a full format and restore on your computer's hard drive, because you've probably got bloat programs running in the background that you don't know about... not to mention potential malware.  If you are using a store-bought computer that came to you as-is, then it is almost inevitable that the company that put it together will have put proprietary crap that has no practical use for you but eats up resources on your computer.  Windows 10 computers are particularly bad about this, because microsoft includes a lot of absolutely worthless software that you will never, ever use... such as internet explorer and Cortana.  lol

my little brothers laptop which is by far the worst computer i have ever laid my hands on, can run almost all the vn i throw at it, hell it can even run minecraft at 20 fps, idk if thats good but for vn id say pretty much anything that doesn't have like entire cut scenes of animations 

I certainly wouldn't feel bad about your processor:

https://ark.intel.com/products/53445/Intel-Core-i5-2310-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz

Released in 2011, so not new nor old, Sandy Bridge is a good architecture I think. 32 nanometers, it's close to current-gen consoles' processors (which are very outdated, though) and as a curious fact, it's half the size of the Xbox 360's architecture.

You have adequate RAM to run Windows 10 and a decent graphics card I'd say.

You can run safely most VNs but like I said I'd draw the line around 2014. Keep in mind most content in VNs is static and there's little animations and general motion, so they aren't really very demanding.

3 hours ago, Okarin said:

I certainly wouldn't feel bad about your processor:

https://ark.intel.com/products/53445/Intel-Core-i5-2310-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz

Released in 2011, so not new nor old, Sandy Bridge is a good architecture I think. 32 nanometers, it's close to current-gen consoles' processors (which are very outdated, though) and as a curious fact, it's half the size of the Xbox 360's architecture.

You have adequate RAM to run Windows 10 and a decent graphics card I'd say.

You can run safely most VNs but like I said I'd draw the line around 2014. Keep in mind most content in VNs is static and there's little animations and general motion, so they aren't really very demanding.

Yea I even compared my processor to the Pentium G4560, and I wasn't that surprised by the results knowing that the G4560 a dual core processor beat my i5. well since the G4560 has a 14nm architecture and runs at 3.5ghz. the only thing I'm worried about is my GPU which is from 2008 and it has a low texture and pixel filrate.
Are VN's CPU or GPU intensive?

4 hours ago, Akimoto Masato said:

my little brothers laptop which is by far the worst computer i have ever laid my hands on, can run almost all the vn i throw at it, hell it can even run minecraft at 20 fps, idk if thats good but for vn id say pretty much anything that doesn't have like entire cut scenes of animations 

Running Minecraft in 20fps sure hurts though:wahaha:

5 hours ago, Clephas said:

In my experience, there are relatively few VNs that won't play on the computer described above.  However, there are some companies and engines your computer might have trouble with.

Giga's VNs made after 2012, including Baldr Sky Zero, will probably have trouble on your system, to varying degrees.  If you absolutely HAVE to play them, take down all programs unrelated to the game.  Instead of using a walkthrough from a browser, turn it into a pic file like a bitmap or a jpeg that can be viewed without using editing software.   The big one will be Baldr Sky Zero though... even my gaming desktop that can handle the Skyrim Special Edition at Ultra at 60 fps will sometimes fall apart on that game because of the bugs in its design.  This is a solution for when you start having trouble.

Anything made by Minori.  Minori's games' animation (primarily in more recent games) eats up a lot more RAM and CPU than it should, considering the results.  I'd suggest turning off the animation if you play one of their games and start having trouble.

Anything based on the Kirkiri engine will be playable.  Some gameplay VNs made after 2014 might be chancy. 

VNs don't generally have high-spec requirements.  The only real problem I see with your specs is the CPU... and even that shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't keep a whole bunch of windows and applications open at once.   Internet browsers, torrent clients, the Steam client, etc... you should take all these down if you are having trouble. 

If you still have problems with games that fall well-within your computer's specs, then you should probably think about doing a full format and restore on your computer's hard drive, because you've probably got bloat programs running in the background that you don't know about... not to mention potential malware.  If you are using a store-bought computer that came to you as-is, then it is almost inevitable that the company that put it together will have put proprietary crap that has no practical use for you but eats up resources on your computer.  Windows 10 computers are particularly bad about this, because microsoft includes a lot of absolutely worthless software that you will never, ever use... such as internet explorer and Cortana.  lol

Nah, no worries about the background programs. I always disable them before I game. I even disabled Windows Defender and removed Internet Explorer to save RAM then set dwm.exe to normal priority. My only problem is the GPU which has a low texture and pixel filrate, and like you said that there are VN's that are buggy and badly optimized that worries me too cause I don't want reformat and install hundreds of drivers again just because of a memory leak caused by a VN. so yea maybe I'll start trying out the VN's that uses Kirkiri Engine.

Edited by Yui Gahama

To tell the truth, it's quite hard to answer because in regard of VNs my laptop was run almost all of translated VNs well. As for my recommendations, I think 11eyes was using Kirikiri so you might try that first. Also you could try Yoake as well which is quite old VN, and therefore it'll be run safely if you GPU was old (Probably). Hope it'll be help.

Edited by littleshogun

4 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

To tell the truth, it's quite hard to answer because in regard of VNs my laptop was run almost all of translated VNs well. As for my recommendations, I think 11eyes was using Kirikiri so you might try that first. Also you could try Yoake as well which is quite old VN, and therefore it'll be run safely if you GPU was old (Probably). Hope it'll be help.

Thankie for the Recommendations:D

3 hours ago, Narcosis said:

I5 and trouble? You got me :chaika:

Sometimes... there are a few really poorly-designed VNs that, for whatever reason, have spikes where they eat CPU resources to a ridiculous degree.  I was a bit exasperated when I found out my older laptop (which was an I5) couldn't handle them during one of the spikes and froze on me. 

On 10/06/2017 at 1:00 AM, fun2novel said:

The only one that might give you trouble is Tokyo Necro. You can play pretty much everything on your system. Even Baldr Sky Zero, I played it on a much older (over 10 year old) computer and it played fine.

Mostly agreed, i was actually thinking of the same game :ren:

He could have trouble with baldr zero though, most likely the game's fault anyways (i had framerate slowdown on this game, and i have a GTX 1080 / i7 6800K so...).

But as long as there is no heavy 3D rendering, it should run great. Your gpu is still better than intel on board ones.