Phantom Ban Detective Agency VN *Kickstarter and Demo Launch

Obentomori

vsjBy.png

A paranormal mystery visual novel by Obento Mori

Twitter | Tumblr

-

"My name is Riley, and I used to be just your typical high school student. Demons, ghosts, monsters... until recently, they were just fictional concepts. 

That is, until I met someone who changed my life. They showed me that the occult was very real... and, what's more, very dangerous. It was a fateful encounter that would end up changing my future, and that of everyone around me. 

But, first, we should start at the beginning. One Spring day, I agreed to meet my friend at swimming practice. That was the day I discovered who, and what, I really was..."

Plot

Phantom Ban Detective Agency centers around Riley and Dameon; two high school detectives that fight strange beings known as Phantoms. Phantoms are summoned unconsciously by people known as Espers through their strong inner desires, and emotional trauma. These phantoms act to fulfill these desires and wreak havoc on their victim’s minds. Together they fight to protect their school and solve a strange mystery involving a forgotten friend. 

Characters

vsjxi.png

vsjxQ.png

vsjy8.png

Character design, Sprites, CGs, Project lead: Sky
Programmer, Project lead: Arti
Writer:SundownKid
Backgrounds: Xand
Music: Alec Shea

Demo Link! You can finally give the demo a try by click this link under "features"~

Why we posted

Hello and welcome to our first full length visual novel project! 

We are Obento Mori a small team working towards creating quality content and creating a community around our works. We hope that by sharing our progress with game dev communities we will receive support, feedback and advice on how we can proceed.

We are currently in the process of developing a demo (for Phantom Ban Detective Agency) in preparation for kickstarter. Half our team is working on as a commission. In order for us to create a full length version of this game to the maximum of our vision we will require support in all forms. 

If there is anything you guys can offer please don't hesitate to share with us. We are aiming to update our status on these websites: Twitter | Tumblr
Facebook coming soon~

Our current questions:

What do you guys think?
Advice for how we can improve?
Best/prefered social media?
How can we get more people to see this project?
What are things we can do to generate more interest for our project?

Thank you so much for stopping by!

The Team

Edited by Obentomori

6 hours ago, Obentomori said:

Our current questions:

What do you guys think?

First, my congratulations for the project, it seems very consistent and beautiful, the plot seems very interesting and good to explore!

I would love to help kickstarter, but I'm already collaborating with so many games that my budget is on the limit :badnicoman:  But without doubt I will help with the divulgation and I will help with feedback by answering your questions.

What do you guys think?
R: 
Very promising, particularly for me, I find very interesting paranormal and occult literature/plots

R: 
In the kickstarter page says "romance with a variety of characters", I would like to take a look at the other characters, I think it is imperative to know all the possible romantic routes before downloading, At least for me, so it's very important to create a page in VNDB where you can put all the main and secondary characters and say a little about each one. 

R: 
Facebook/Reddit

R
: VNDB Page will be mandatory if you want to reach a large part of our community

R: 
This will vary greatly as each person will have their own interests when looking for a VN, so i'll say mine: H-scenes, voiced characters, multiple endings, variety of choices.

Good luck with Phantom Ban! looks really great and well-made, i hope i have helped

4 hours ago, SenpaiFingers said:

First, my congratulations for the project, it seems very consistent and beautiful, the plot seems very interesting and good to explore!

I would love to help kickstarter, but I'm already collaborating with so many games that my budget is on the limit :badnicoman:  But without doubt I will help with the divulgation and I will help with feedback by answering your questions.

What do you guys think?
R: 
Very promising, particularly for me, I find very interesting paranormal and occult literature/plots

R: 
In the kickstarter page says "romance with a variety of characters", I would like to take a look at the other characters, I think it is imperative to know all the possible romantic routes before downloading, At least for me, so it's very important to create a page in VNDB where you can put all the main and secondary characters and say a little about each one. 

R: 
Facebook/Reddit

R
: VNDB Page will be mandatory if you want to reach a large part of our community

R: 
This will vary greatly as each person will have their own interests when looking for a VN, so i'll say mine: H-scenes, voiced characters, multiple endings, variety of choices.

Good luck with Phantom Ban! looks really great and well-made, i hope i have helped

Thank you so much for your kind and helpful response! I can understand the tight budget part ~ there seem to be more and more great games/games with great potential lately! Even this feedback helps a lot though so we appreciate that a lot <3
I agree on the knowing what all characters there are to romance before playing a game, I suppose it's partially due to not knowing what our final budget will be that we've only got a few listed currently sadly, but we will try and better show available options in the future!
I was looking all over VNDB the other day and never thought to make our own page, or that we even could~ I will give that a shot when possible! Thank you for the idea, hopefully it will help!
I believe we're on board with creating H-games in the future if all goes well with this one, as well as voiced characters possible even for PhantomBan if our goals are reached!
Thank you once again for your thoughtful reply ~ it means a lot!

The part of the story where

Allie turned into being terrified of swimming was a bit too sudden and felt a bit forced. You might want to add a few more lines or scenes(to empahsise on it) so the transition is more seamless. 

The demo was a bit underwhelming for me: it was too easy to tell the "M" was going to be involved 'cos all the focus was on it instead of on other people. 

Personally, I'd prefer that you set far lower and less ambitious targets. Less is more, in terms of word count.

Or if not, break the game into 2 parts. That way you can use the experience gained from the 1st part to improve the 2nd part. 

In terms of visuals and audio, pretty cool. 

40 minutes ago, roastedmushroom said:

The part of the story where

Hide contents

Allie turned into being terrified of swimming was a bit too sudden and felt a bit forced. You might want to add a few more lines or scenes(to empahsise on it) so the transition is more seamless. 

The demo was a bit underwhelming for me: it was too easy to tell the "M" was going to be involved 'cos all the focus was on it instead of on other people. 

Personally, I'd prefer that you set far lower and less ambitious targets. Less is more, in terms of word count.

Or if not, break the game into 2 parts. That way you can use the experience gained from the 1st part to improve the 2nd part. 

In terms of visuals and audio, pretty cool. 

Thank you for your feedback! It will be very helpful for future demos and hopefully the end result provided we get there! We plan on fleshing out the story a lot more if our goal is met so it's good to know scenes like this should be something to work more on!
I am a bit confused though, by "M" what do you refer to? Sorry for not understanding right away ;;
I believe the word count targets currently set are there to develop future relation/story paths but perhaps it can be worked on with fewer after all~ 

On 6/10/2017 at 0:18 AM, Obentomori said:

Thank you for your feedback! It will be very helpful for future demos and hopefully the end result provided we get there! We plan on fleshing out the story a lot more if our goal is met so it's good to know scenes like this should be something to work more on!
I am a bit confused though, by "M" what do you refer to? Sorry for not understanding right away ;;
I believe the word count targets currently set are there to develop future relation/story paths but perhaps it can be worked on with fewer after all~ 

M = mascot

Good to know you're taking in the feedback. Do make sure not to redo things too often though. What really matters is reaching the end point. ;) 

Best of luck!