I'd like a good romantic vn

Jazb

Hey guys! 

I'm relatively new to vn since I've only made Katawa Shoujo, Kindred spirit on the roof, Yume Miru Kisuri (That I hated, i'll explain why later) and If my heart had wings (Wich is, for now, my favourite), and some others I've drop that I can't even remember the name - Since yesterday I've been looking for a good vn, but I barely found anything (Everything that interested me are still untranslated :( ), I'm at the moment downloading Noble Works since it seems decent and meets a bit of my taste, but I'm sure there's something better that suits what I like more, that's why I decided to come to you for help since you guys have a way deeper knowledge in vn that I have.

I'm pretty sure I'm asking too much, but here's what I'd like to read in a vn:

• A "pure" lovestory, meaning not something like Yume Miru Kusuri where the MC can legit fuck the 3 girls before chosing their route, and having litterally no romantic interest towards them for a long time. 
  • Something with a atleast a bit of choices, I heavily dislike kinetics novels 
  • Something with atleast a bit of sexual content, but still in a pure way (just not rapes and other things that doesn't suits my romantic thirst, doesn't have to be only missionary and vanilla sex) 
  • Interesting characters: if possible, not the generics personnality (But I don't really mind, just a plus :D ). Preference for shy/antisocial/etc girl 
  • "Nice" and "realistic" artwork: I kinda dislike vn with girls with big eyes and big forehead or something like that, if possible something close to If my Heart had Wings or Ao no Kanata no Four Rythm

Well, I guess that's "all", I don't really know since after re-reading my tastes I'm telling myself that I'm definitely asking for too much :/ 

Anyway, thx for reading and I'm looking for your recommandations! 

EDIT: After reading some of already existent thread on this forum, Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate seems like something you often recommend, do you think it meets my expectations ? 

EDIT2: Yeah I'm definetly trying out Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, but It doens't mean that I dont need your recommandations anymore :P 

Edited by Jazb

KoiChoco is not unforgettable, but it should fit your taste. Same goes for Kira Kira (you might not like the art style though). Grisaia no Kajitsu might work (girls with strange personalities).

Hoshizora no Memoria is my favorite romantic, lighthearted visuale novel, there's I think a fan patch available, and it's undergoing officiale translation too

Hoshimemo and, if you tolerate oldies, Shuffle! is pretty good (minus the translation which is trash), it has less sex scenes and some interesting, though not stellar, routes. Also the protag is above par and he's not as shameless as to screw the girls before the routes (a trait that's unique for YMK and its lot. They tried to pack a lot of H in a medium-length novel there).

Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai - it is not a strong romance based(more comedy and friendship), but it has all what you want, and can give you a lot of Interesting characters, with pure relationship like you want.

Canvas 2 (Rare teacher Protagonist) and Da Capo(But art style...) series also not bad, at least some routes are very good.

Thanks for your answers! I'm gonna reply to each suggestions to give you more hints about what I like

Katahane > Seems good, I'm gonna try it out 

Clannad > I know a lot of people considers it as a classic, many suggested it to me, but I really hate the artstyle, I know I can't get into the story because of that :/ 

Hatsukoi 1/1 > That definetly seems like the kind of thing I like, thx a lot I'm gonna do it once I'm done with  Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

Forget me not > Erhm... According to vndb It's a yaoi sooooo....

Kira kira > Artstyle is not what I really like, but It's not like Clannad so I'll check it out, seems pretty decent 

Grisaia no Kajitsu > ahhhh I totally forgot about that one, one more to clean asap

Hoshizora no Memoria > I've downloaded it but only played for like 30m, I thought it was really cringy. But since you are two to suggest it I'll force myself to go a bit deeper to see if It's just at the beginning 

Shuffle! > Hmmm I usually don't like when It's mixed with elves/gods/etc, but It seems good so I'll try it out, just not as a priority 

Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai > Same goes for Hoshizora no Memoria, the cringe in that one was really really strong compared to Hoshizora, I don't think I'll force myself 

Canvas 2 > Plot doesn't particularly inspire me, plus It kinda seems like It has lolicon content, not really the kind of things I have in mind when I think about romance :D 

Da Capo > Yeah artsyle seems kinda weird, I'll probably try it out once I'm done with everything 

Kanon > Artstyle is definetly too much 

I realize I migh be asking for too much when it comes to vn lmao 

Anyway thanks a lot for your suggestions! As for now, I'm gonna finish Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate asap to directly start Hatsukoi 1/1, really seems like the thing I want to have in vn

2 hours ago, Jazb said:

Clannad > I know a lot of people considers it as a classic, many suggested it to me, but I really hate the artstyle, I know I can't get into the story because of that :/ 

Same reason here, lame design

But i guarantee you, Da Capo II and III will not disappoint you, you get used to the artstyle during gameplay and will enjoy a lot!

I will rec a VN with good design, good plot, choices, characters and really good love and drama with ANY of the routes, my favourite VN by far (don't judge me)

BEHOLD!  ~~~~~~    https://vndb.org/v6710   ~~~~~~

2 hours ago, Jazb said:

Thanks for your answers! I'm gonna reply to each suggestions to give you more hints about what I like

Katahane > Seems good, I'm gonna try it out 

Hatsukoi 1/1 > That definetly seems like the kind of thing I like, thx a lot I'm gonna do it once I'm done with  Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

Forget me not > Erhm... According to vndb It's a yaoi sooooo....

Kira kira > Artstyle is not what I really like, but It's not like Clannad so I'll check it out, seems pretty decent 

Grisaia no Kajitsu > ahhhh I totally forgot about that one, one more to clean asap

Hoshizora no Memoria > I've downloaded it but only played for like 30m, I thought it was really cringy. But since you are two to suggest it I'll force myself to go a bit deeper to see if It's just at the beginning 

Shuffle! > Hmmm I usually don't like when It's mixed with elves/gods/etc, but It seems good so I'll try it out, just not as a priority 

Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai > Same goes for Hoshizora no Memoria, the cringe in that one was really really strong compared to Hoshizora, I don't think I'll force myself 

Canvas 2 > Plot doesn't particularly inspire me, plus It kinda seems like It has lolicon content, not really the kind of things I have in mind when I think about romance :D 

Da Capo > Yeah artsyle seems kinda weird, I'll probably try it out once I'm done with everything 

Kanon > Artstyle is definetly too much 

I realize I migh be asking for too much when it comes to vn lmao 

Anyway thanks a lot for your suggestions! As for now, I'm gonna finish Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate asap to directly start Hatsukoi 1/1, really seems like the thing I want to have in vn

Forget me not is actually a shounen ai since there's no sex content (yaoi just apply when there's sex content , also the yaoi tag is at 1.0 so there's there's probably just mention about sex or somethfin, but I understand that's up to you and your standards :o) , other recommendation is Dra†KoI but there's a lot of Hscenes (even though is not a Nukige.)

Edited by Guest

52 minutes ago, SenpaiFingers said:

Same reason here, lame design

But i guarantee you, Da Capo II and III will not disappoint you, you get used to the artstyle during gameplay and will enjoy a lot!

I will rec a VN with good design, good plot, choices, characters and really good love and drama with ANY of the routes, my favourite VN by far (don't judge me)

BEHOLD!  ~~~~~~    https://vndb.org/v6710   ~~~~~~

I've seen Princess Evangile on vndb but the eyes seemed too big for me (I like it when people are "realist"), but I'll trust your favourite, I'll try it 

thx :D

53 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Forget me not is actually a shounen ai since there's no sex content (yaoi just apply when there's sex content , also the yaoi tag is at 1.0 so there's there's probably just mention about sex or somethfin, but I understand that's up to you and your standards :o) , other recommendation is Dra†KoI but there's a lot of Hscenes (even though is not a Nukige.)

Draktkoi seems to have a meagre plot, is that good ?

11 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

I knew that you already decided what you want to play here, but let me give some more recommendations here. As for the recommendations, I would recommend both of Da Capo 3 and Yoake here although I don't know though if the art would be good for you. Hope those'll be help.

Please feel free to suggest as many vn as you may think of! Since Da capo has been suggested twice or three times I'll try it

Yoaeke also seems interesting, I'll check it out 

Man since yesterday I have so many things to try out! Thx a lot for all of your suggestions, I was afraid you might tell me fuck off since I have such a big expectations in vn with so little experience but you're all cool, thx again 

2 hours ago, Jazb said:

I've seen Princess Evangile on vndb but the eyes seemed too big for me (I like it when people are "realist"), but I'll trust your favourite, I'll try it 

thx :D

Draktkoi seems to have a meagre plot, is that good ?

Please feel free to suggest as many vn as you may think of! Since Da capo has been suggested twice or three times I'll try it

Yoaeke also seems interesting, I'll check it out 

Man since yesterday I have so many things to try out! Thx a lot for all of your suggestions, I was afraid you might tell me fuck off since I have such a big expectations in vn with so little experience but you're all cool, thx again 

I never completely finished Draktkoi so I can't really tell, but their may or may not have cute character development moments. Other romantic oriented visual novels Sokubaku★Yandere Idol (Starstruck Love) but aware that it's a otome game and there are also the infamous Yandere Bad Ends so be careful if you are going to read that, Hakuisei Aijou Izonshou (Nurse Love Addiction) seems to be a cute shoujo-ai (with some yuri scenes) about nurses, Brass Restoration is a freeware one that happens at a high school setting, Kana ~imouto~ seems to be enjoyable but be aware that it's a Incest story, so be open minded if you're gonna read.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Shoshin said:

My tastes are the same as yours, so it's weird that we're not well catered for by VNs.

Anyway, Kana Imouto is the one without a shadow of a doubt. It's one of the most beautiful stories ever told

:o)

Ah, I also forgot to recommend Crescendo it happens in the same world as Kana Imouto.

Yeah, Crescendo is also good. Characters are your standard archetypes but the writing gives them more depth than is usual. The art is really nice and some of the sex scenes are very erotic.

As a downside, since the story takes place over 5 days, there isn't much time for events to develop, but within that restriction they're well told stories and you bond with the characters quickly.

Regarding Kana Imouto, play the version with the original art. The game is unvoiced and a lot of the dialogue between the characters doesn't read well, and also some of the drama can be forced, but in spite of this it is still one of the best VNs ever because the relationships in it are believable and complex and because the story is so affecting. It's a real healer of a game, a real positive thing in the world, and it's no accident that it inspired a devoted fanbase.

You might also like (or love) The House of Fata Morgana. I thought some of it was brilliant but some was a slog and the central storytelling device made a lot of it unavoidably predictable and repetitive.

1 hour ago, Shoshin said:

Yeah, Crescendo is also good. Characters are your standard archetypes but the writing gives them more depth than is usual. The art is really nice and some of the sex scenes are very erotic.

As a downside, since the story takes place over 5 days, there isn't much time for events to develop, but within that restriction they're well told stories and you bond with the characters quickly.

Regarding Kana Imouto, play the version with the original art. The game is unvoiced and a lot of the dialogue between the characters doesn't read well, and also some of the drama can be forced, but in spite of this it is still one of the best VNs ever because the relationships in it are believable and complex and because the story is so affecting. It's a real healer of a game, a real positive thing in the world, and it's no accident that it inspired a devoted fanbase.

You might also like (or love) The House of Fata Morgana. I thought some of it was brilliant but some was a slog and the central storytelling device made a lot of it unavoidably predictable and repetitive.

Thanks!

Fata Morgana and Kana\Crescendo were on my radar for a while, I just need to finish Sweet Pool (The english patch is very glitch sadly, which makes me have to marathon a entire route.), Kana was actually the visual novel that made me lose my Incest prejudice xD

Also Fata Morgana have incredible art and it also seems very good.