Visual Novels on a tablet

Arashi.Hatsu

This may sound repetitive, but how do visual novels perform on a tablet, more specifically the Windows tablets? I have an IPad and an IPhone, but the AppStore is lacking in anything other than otome. I've bought everything there was to buy, like If My Heart Had Wings (all routes), and Fragment's Note and stuff. So I went over to check out Windows and it seems like it's just like a Windows PC, besides the downgrade in ram, processing speed and such. Can you help me out, maybe even suggest a tablet or two? Thank you for your time.

anything high end with amoled display, like the galaxy tab s. Avoid high res ips displays since they perform very badly on low res. I have a surface pro 4 and it can run everything w/o problems, games in low res are full of artefacts, though.

Edited by WinterfuryZX

I used to play VNs on a Surface Pro 2. Now I play them on a Surface Pro 4. Not cheap, I know, so presumably not what you're looking for, but as one of probably a small number of people mostly playing VNs on a tablet, I figured I should at least respond. Rarely, the tablet has some minor issues with games which aren't very well-optimized, especially more recent games. The following all come to mind as games that have made it run pretty hot: Nekopara, Chrono Clock, Corona Blossom. The fan starts running pretty quickly on all of those and the battery drains in a couple of hours (which is still not bad, really; I kept playing all of them on the tablet and didn't really mind much). That said, one E-mote game, Tenkiame, pushed the processor so hard that it kind of chugged when it ran (the animated motions were suuuuuuper slow), to the point that I eventually gave up playing it on the tablet and switched to a desktop.

So, it's not a perfect experience, but on the good side, I've played dozens of VNs on one or the other of those tablets without any problems at all. It "just works" most of the time: no heat, no fan, no battery life issues, and all the convenience of a tablet.

5 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I used to play VNs on a Surface Pro 2. Now I play them on a Surface Pro 4. Not cheap, I know, so presumably not what you're looking for, but as one of probably a small number of people mostly playing VNs on a tablet, I figured I should at least respond. Rarely, the tablet has some minor issues with games which aren't very well-optimized, especially more recent games. The following all come to mind as games that have made it run pretty hot: Nekopara, Chrono Clock, Corona Blossom. The fan starts running pretty quickly on all of those and the battery drains in a couple of hours (which is still not bad, really; I kept playing all of them on the tablet and didn't really mind much). That said, one E-mote game, Tenkiame, pushed the processor so hard that it kind of chugged when it ran (the animated motions were suuuuuuper slow), to the point that I eventually gave up playing it on the tablet and switched to a desktop.

So, it's not a perfect experience, but on the good side, I've played dozens of VNs on one or the other of those tablets without any problems at all. It "just works" most of the time: no heat, no fan, no battery life issues, and all the convenience of a tablet.

I have the one with m3 processor and never had ovverheating problems with VNs. Sora no kiseki the 3rd at max res was another story, though. 

10 minutes ago, Arashi.Hatsu said:

There's no problem with ram, storage, anything like that?

EDIT: That was a redundant question, there will always be some problem. But the surface pro, does it come in different sizes, like 10 inch, 15 inch, and so on?

The surface (not pro) is smaller, but the last of them was the surface 3, the 4th only exist in its "pro" version.

About the storage, it is sufficient as long as you don't use the device to storage large ammount of data (downloads etc.) the ssd remains quite efficiant even with less than 30% free space.

I played all of F/SN and Hollow Ataraxia on a cheap $100 Windows 8 tablet. Navigating to the exe was kind of a pain since the buttons were so small, but once in game everything was pretty great. The games certainly weren't meant for touch screens but they seemed to work just fine. I would much rather tap on a screen than wear out a mouse by clicking a few thousand times to read a VN.

That thing also had pitiful specs and it was still able to run StarCraft II on super low settings. Pretty impressive really.

A windows tablet should works pretty well, with somes exeptions as long as you take some good hardware (as said in a previous post, a surface pro should do well). For example, you might have a hard time running tokyo necro 3D rendering, being more GPU intensive than other vns.

Oh and forget about remote desktop, it was not made for such uses, even if you had sound, it wouldn't sync well with the display... Even the anydesk app that claim to be the best quality remote desktop doesn't work all that well with vns.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Acer Iconia tab W500 that is completely awful at everything except visual novels. I keep it around just for that. I can leave the locale on Japanese (for some fan translations) and the touch screen is perfect for this type of game. The specs are abysmal but I've only had some trouble in one or two games, neither of which was unplayable (glider scenes in If My Heart Had Wings were laggy and full of artifacts). A lot of English releases are actuallyquite old so they run fine. The biggest issue i have run into was with Hoshizora no Memoria, it only recognized touch input if I moved my finger between press amd release,  making it quite hard to touch small menu buttons. My only disclaimer is that i dont exactly keep up with new releases, so maybe some very modern stuff wouldn't work. 

Tl;dr even the worst tablets are pretty good for VNs.