Where do you meet people online?

arakura

I was just wondering what other communities you guys are a part of. I've recently been thinking more about forums and the flavor of each of the ones I know personally. It really is kind of hard to go looking for a new one to join. A lot of them seem wonky in on way or another. That ends up being endearing sometimes, though. Let me know!

I don't really go anywhere with the intention of meeting people. It just kinda happens. My best online friends I met on ROBLOX's movies/tv/books forum. We've since migrated to our own forum and have been there for three years now. I also met a guy from Macedonia on Osu! and we've been playing together at night a few times a week. He's must better than I am but I'm catching up.

That's about all the online meeting I've done really. In both instances I didn't go out looking for online friends but just kinda found them in the place I happened to be at the time.

Twitter can actually be good for this. Engage official accounts and popular people in your fandoms. I became a prolific Twitter user only after I tried to meet up with other people who loved Zero Escape. Just follow people and you slowly build up a circle over time. It takes a long while though. I'm at like 320 followers after a couple years. But that's fine.

Connect on Twitter with people you know from elsewhere so that you can interact with THEIR circle too. Same goes for other networks.

What really, really, really helps is finding small communities related to your hobbies. Just search the name of an anime, or game, or book, etc. on Facebook and the like- most pieces of media have many little fandom groups attached to them (not just on Facebook- subreddits are one example), and those are usually pretty inclusive so you can find a place for yourself in there. For example\ I joined a fan group for a not very popular young adult novel series seven years ago, and a majority of us really stuck together- we're very tightly knit and I'd count them among my closest of friends= they are actually the only reason I still use Facebook with any regularity.

11 hours ago, Novel21 said:

I'm part of Anime-Sharing^_^it's very good forum to be part of^_^

For downloading eroge right :ren:

OP: What I've noticed in the around 8 years that I have been active on various forums is that forums themselves are a pretty bad place to make friends with people. That is, if you only interact with those people on forums. Forums are a great place to talk about a common hobby, and to get help and trade advice for things related to the hobby. And hell, it can also be a good place to meet some people initially. But ultimately, people on forums who seem to be the closest with each other are people who also interact with each other on Skype, Discord, or some other IRC client. Something that I have never been able to get into myself.

What I like about forums is that they are somewhat formal. The types of conversations that happen on IRC, are honestly pretty dumb and stupid most of the time. Or rather, IRC seems like a waste of time to me since the time spend on that I could be either socially active irl instead, or be doing one of my own hobbies.  

What Funyarinpa says. How to get to a new forum? 1. Choose the theme of the forum. 2. Search for forums matching those criteria.

In my case, I noticed the existence of Fuwa downloading VNs (back when Fuwa carried them), and looking for VN auto-translation.

You can quickly look for forums with a given theme with Tapatalk (on Android).

However the forums' role has been taken over by social networks. Facebook, Google+ and Twitter are good places to meet interesting people and see what they like. In my case, I've not made a lot of friends on FB (since most people are reluctant to add you without knowing you), but with most people I meet IRL, I put them there, just in case.

I primarily use Facebook to keep in touch with releases (VN companies, JRPG companies, localisation companies, music bands, wargames) and news (soccer teams, etc).

Edited by Okarin

I used to be a part of a number of communities... but otaku communities have relatively short lifespans in most cases, and in others (the longer-lived ones) I didn't like the way the adverts set off my virus detector so often.   Fuwa is about the only one I still bother with, though I occasionally still drop in to browse hongfire and anime-sharing. 

5 hours ago, Clephas said:

I used to be a part of a number of communities... but otaku communities have relatively short lifespans in most cases, and in others (the longer-lived ones) I didn't like the way the adverts set off my virus detector so often.   Fuwa is about the only one I still bother with, though I occasionally still drop in to browse hongfire and anime-sharing. 

Anime goes in fad cycles. What was popular in 2007 may not be as popular in 2017. You might be a hardcore otaku, and not like what other people like in the least. Because there are dozens of anime each year.

VNs are more stable, there are still different genres and tastes but the concept of a community for English-speaking fans of VNs is a staying one.

Also, there are fewer VN releases in English each year than there are dubbed/subbed anime, so in a way it's easier to follow.

9 hours ago, Okarin said:

VNs are more stable, there are still different genres and tastes but the concept of a community for English-speaking fans of VNs is a staying one.

Also, there are fewer VN releases in English each year than there are dubbed/subbed anime, so in a way it's easier to follow.

That's why I like the VN community more than the anime one (even though I watch a fair bit of anime). Because anime is so big now, there are so many divides in the community. Whereas with VNs, even with people that have very different tastes from me, we can both at least relate in being fans of this obscure medium.