Outstanding background illustrations and/or animations (with Last Birdling post)

InvertMouse

Hi everyone :vinty:. Thank you again for giving me permission to share my blog posts here (after our discussion about my struggles with Unhack 2). I recently posted an article about my background development process in The Last Birdling:

npNRbDql.jpg

G7ea2j6l.png

I hate promos, so I would like to make this thread about visual novels in general. These days, in professional works, beautiful background art is more or less assumed. That said, are there any VNs with backdrops that stand out to you? As mentioned in the post, I found the city nightscape in the Starcraft VN to be particularly memorable. I am always on the search for inspiration, so happy to hear about any games you have played that come to mind.

Thank you 8)!

Voko is going to have my head for this, but I still stand by my stance that Umineko's original backgrounds are wonderful.

of-course-not.jpg

umineko_pc.png

I can't find clean background images (they're always with sprites) but I love, love, love, love this abstract style. Too bad it's 4:3.

The House In Fata Morgana is similar, and also gorgeous:

maid.jpg

20160803000820_1.jpg

I just love this style (of heavily editing photos to the point they evoke more than they show)

I can never forget the backgrounds in Symphonic Rain. I think that VN had some of my absolute favorite backgrounds:

Symponic%20Rain%20old%20town%202.png

Also, I know that I can't stop obsessing over this VN. But the sky is always done so beautifully in Suba Hibi:

Subarashiki%20hibi%20pic%206.png

Also, I have to say. Although a tad bit amateurish, I really do like the backgrounds in the first VN I ever read, Memo. Doomfest is just such a talented artist:

Memo%20cg%20by%20Doomfest_1.png

Memo%20neighborhood.png

I'm going against your purpose here, but I have to comment your BGs specifically :P and by yours, I mean the teams'.

I love how the ones you posted have at the same time a professional and an amateurish flavors to them. I mean, I can see that this is not from a huge company with lots of money to spare, but at the same time I can see the quality I'd expect from them, you know?

There seems to have a lot of details, but, and here's my first complaint, the pictures with sprites show blurry backgrounds. Is this on purpose? Why not show all their potention during the reading? Also, still on that, I usually dislike when games zoom in their BGs and make them all stretchy just for who knows why? I'd rather see a static BG during action scenes than a low quality moving one.

A question: why do the sprites differ so much from the characters on CGs? Personally, I prefer them like in the latter, but still loved both. The question is really about the subtle change.

4 hours ago, Silvz said:

I'm going against your purpose here, but I have to comment your BGs specifically :P and by yours, I mean the teams'.

I love how the ones you posted have at the same time a professional and an amateurish flavors to them. I mean, I can see that this is not from a huge company with lots of money to spare, but at the same time I can see the quality I'd expect from them, you know?

There seems to have a lot of details, but, and here's my first complaint, the pictures with sprites show blurry backgrounds. Is this on purpose? Why not show all their potention during the reading? Also, still on that, I usually dislike when games zoom in their BGs and make them all stretchy just for who knows why? I'd rather see a static BG during action scenes than a low quality moving one.

A question: why do the sprites differ so much from the characters on CGs? Personally, I prefer them like in the latter, but still loved both. The question is really about the subtle change.

Hey Silvz! Long time no talk 😎. The blur is up to personal preference and is on purpose. Players will get to see each background on its own during the game, of course. The characters and CGs are done by the same artist.

Innocent Grey has amazing background art in their titles, especially in the Kara no Shojo series.

Spoiler

47654.jpg

92504.jpg

92505.jpg

I hate cheaply blurred photographs as backgrounds with a passion, so I consider background art of the likes of Umineko (PS2 art is great though), Higurashi or Fata Morgana pretty much as the biggest crap the business has to offer.

Edited by ChaosRaven

1 hour ago, Palas said:

Everlasting Summer (now on reading club!) has the most impressive BGs I've ever seen. It's not even funny. I mean, look at this net.

Reveal hidden contents

tyKY_gNsUBg.jpg

19712ed43bf605d765637402ec47789b.jpg

preview_13179_1450112735_474c6269373690b

thumb-1920-694589.jpg

Wow, just seeing that makes me want to play Everlasting Summer. Also, your point about Liminal spaces was very interesting. In fact, that's one more aspect that makes VNs such an immersive medium.