Dies irae OUT NOW for everyone!

Decay

27 minutes ago, fun2novel said:

Do you have the entire game with all the routes downloaded or just the common route?

The whole thing. Not really an issue - more just curiosity. As I understand it, there are sopposed to be a ton of CGs, and given the length it's rumored to be, all those voiced lines should both in theory beef up the size by a healthy margin.

oh well, guess I'll find out in august :sachi: (what can I say? I need anime bewbz to go with a great story :makina: )

3 hours ago, Tweek91330 said:

Could someone tell me if the tl's translation quality is good ?

I don't know if i should read the game in english now or in japanese (since i will have to check jparser a lot for this game ˆˆ)

For the most part, the English translation is quite good, though it's not perfect of course. There are occasional typos and grammatical issues, but the bigger deal is what I perceive as occasional tonal inconsistencies. It's not really anything that will prevent the you from enjoying the game.

Edited by Decay

1 hour ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

The whole thing. Not really an issue - more just curiosity. As I understand it, there are sopposed to be a ton of CGs, and given the length it's rumored to be, all those voiced lines should both in theory beef up the size by a healthy margin.

oh well, guess I'll find out in august :sachi: (what can I say? I need anime bewbz to go with a great story :makina: )

That's very interesting. I thought it will be bigger too.

Now that us, non-japanese readers, filthy pesants can read Dies Irae no one can stop me from shitposting about it, kek

Seriously tho. I have been waiting for a long time to be able to read it since my friend always talked about it and I don't have the brains to learn japanese :P

I will play/read it as soon as I can. Couldn't be more hyped!

15 hours ago, Decay said:

For the most part, the English translation is quite good, though it's not perfect of course. There are occasional typos and grammatical issues, but the bigger deal is what I perceive as occasional tonal inconsistencies. It's not really anything that will prevent the you from enjoying the game.

Is the TL ultimately a disappointment?

Got it. Strong opening of Dies Irae.

Spoiler

"Waging war is no sin, losing a war is". This speaks to me on a lot of different levels. And the victor belittling the loser and blaming them. Strong words and I love it. Really strong opening here. I love this. With the music it is great. 

Edited by SilverLi

I'm basically at the end of the common route (apparently it branches early in Chapter 7), and I've enjoyed the VN so far. It's not mind-blowingly good but I still dig it, and besides, it's just the common route. There's a LOT going on with it. Like, so much. So many characters with differing motivations, so much jargon, so many bizarre magical concepts to have to understand and all the rules attached to them, etc. There probably hasn't been an English-translated VN with so much complexity in its world building since Fate. 

I realized I hadn't read the "Other Stories" I unlocked so I started the first one, only to get bored to tears and quit halfway through. I hope reading them isn't important because I kind of don't feel like doing so.

Edited by Decay

33 minutes ago, Decay said:

I realized I hadn't read the "Other Stories" I unlocked so I started the first one, only to get bored to tears and quit halfway through. I hope reading them isn't important because I kind of don't feel like doing so.

Gare covered the importance of some of them in the walkthrough on his blog:

Note 1: The Other Stories can be accessed from the main menu, under (you guessed it) Other Story. One thing to note is that “Omnia vincit Amor” is essentially a Marie route epilogue, while “Nihil difficile amanti”, in a similar fashion, provides an epilogue for Rea’s route. As such, I would recommend reading those two extra stories immediately after finishing their respective routes. As for the other three side stories, I’d recommend reading “Wehrwolf” after finishing Kasumi’s route, then “Die Morgendämmerung” and “Verfaulender segen” after completing Kei’s route.

Honestly, I only found out about this VN a few days ago when somebody mentioned it somewhere, so I don't think the hype would affect me much.

I have read some of it (until about chapter 4). For now I don't think I'm extremely into it, but it's still very interesting. The art looks fine. The music isn't really to my taste, but I don't think it's bad by any means.

So far I'm enjoying the experience, and I'll see if buying the DLCs are worth it after finishing the common route. It feels a bit like Fate, and considering I'm a big fan of Fate, I'm guessing I'll get hooked on this one soon enough.

As for my experience, so far the story was once again it's cliche to be blunt (I'm still at the beginning of Chapter 3 by the way). But aside from the story, the narration was overwhelming indeed just as expected. Let's see what Dies Irae will offer later, considering that I didn't met with all of the heroines yet.

By the way, I'd found it interesting that all of the villain got their zodiac and the major arcana so I would like to think that Masada was take some reference from Persona 2 and 3 here, although he might be picked it up from somewhere else though. I'll write more about that if my playthrough was entering Chapter 7. By the way I'm going with Kasumi's route from 'New Game', although you could just pick 'Kasumi Route' at the New Game though if you didn't want to bother with choice.

Edited by littleshogun

19 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

As for my experience, so far the story was once again it's cliche to be blunt (I'm still at the beginning of Chapter 3 by the way). But aside from the story, the narration was overwhelming indeed just as expected. Let's see what Dies Irae will offer later, considering that I didn't met with all of the heroines yet.

To be honest, the writing is a little bit rough from a purely grammatical standpoint. Improper word use is the biggest offender, but you also occasionally spot sloppy punctuation. For the most part, natively English readers shouldn't have much difficulty with inferring what's happening despite the occasional roughness, but non-native readers may find it quite a bit more difficult thanks to that.

To tell the truth, I didn't pay attention to the wording (Punctuation and grammar) very much here. What I meant by overwhelming is that Dies Irae was quite wordy here, and it mean that sometimes I need to think it. Other than that, didn't had problem with understanding it so far even though I wasn't native English reader here (Then again, maybe there'll be some understanding problem if one person was reading Dies Irae as his first English VN though).

Edited by littleshogun

On 02/06/2017 at 8:33 PM, Decay said:

Thanks, i started the game in english ˆˆ.

So far, it's pretty good, i notices some tonal inconsistencies as you said, but nothing too bothersome. It will avoid me playing this one raw (i think i would have gone crazy and stall the game eventually, like i did with muramasa in the middle of the first route...).

9 hours ago, Decay said:

I'm basically at the end of the common route (apparently it branches early in Chapter 7)

I think I'm at the end of chapter 2, wow the common route ends at 7! yay, looks like i'll be reading this for awhile :sachi:.

How many chapters are there btw? for the 4 routes.

15 minutes ago, DharmaFreedom said:

I think I'm at the end of chapter 2, wow the common route ends at 7! yay, looks like i'll be reading this for awhile :sachi:.

How many chapters are there btw? for the 4 routes.

There'll be 6 chapter for each of heroines route so for one route it'll be 13 chapters, although if you ask for the grand total it'll be at 31 chapters. That's all for my answer.

Edited by littleshogun