Looking for something similar to Akatsuki no Yona (Spoilers inside)

Spoiler

In the form of story telling, also really love what they do with Soo-Won, he's a bad guy but he's not a bad, bad guy. If that makes any sense, I really liked what they did with him. Characters like him would be great. 

Also the flashbacks when they were children never felt out of place or rushed, which was nice.

Doesn't need to be set in a medieval world or anything, can be set anywhere..

Don't like Harems, ecchi is okay, but only if it's a little bit. Other then that no ecchi. 

Thanks

Edited by Book Lover

My suggestion would be Saiunkoku Monogatari.  It is a series with two thirty-nine episode seasons based in a world that resembles old China, in social and governmental structure.  The protagonist is a girl from a poor noble family who gets taken into the Imperial harem as the Emperor's consort and ends up with the job of getting him out of his funk (a job with few benefits and a lot of trouble... though she is the only member of the harem).  The way she goes from what is essentially a self-educated, down-to-earth girl used to living poor to ever greater and more interesting things is fun to watch.  It is one of those hidden gems from a decade ago, lol.

Maria the Virgin Witch. I know, I know. The title is actually the worst thing about the show. Just trust me on this one.

Also, +1 for Moribito, and I've heard very similar things to what Clephas said about Story of Saiunkoku before and have been meaning to watch it. It's unfortunately hard to get a hold of these days, since the last license holder went out of business quite some time back...

That said, I don't think either Moribito or Maria is at the level of Yona, because frankly practically nothing is, and certainly nothing in its vein that I've ever watched.

Edited by Fred the Barber