Higurashi Console Arcs (Tokihogushi arc released)

DoctorDiablo

Project Introduction

This project aims to take all 10 arcs exclusively found on the PS2/DS/PS3 releases of Higurashi When They Cry and port them to PC with full English translation.  It will include the script, graphics, and audio assets from the PS3 version of Higurashi for maximum quality.  This will be done as a mod for Mangagamer's Steam re-release of Higurashi, which makes use of the tech in MG's new Higurashi engine to simplify the porting process, and also directly supports the official release.  

Mangagamer is officially releasing English translations of all of the arcs from the various PC releases of Higurashi on Steam.  However, a company called Alchemist made the PS2, DS, and PS3 versions of Higurashi and they added a number of new arcs to the game with each release.  There are 10 new arcs in total, a mix of side stories, what-if scenarios, adaptations of manga arcs, arcs that develop characters that didn't get enough screentime, and an alternate ending for the entire series.  None of those have ever received an official English release, and likely never will because Alchemist went bankrupt in 2016.  So this project will hopefully give Higurashi fans an opportunity to finally read these arcs in English, some of which date back as early as 2007.

Here is the Project Website on GitHub for the Higurashi Console Arcs project.

Right now I'm the primary person contributing to the project, but I'm currently recruiting anyone willing to help.

Progress

• Someutsushi arc - 100% complete
  • Kageboushi arc - 100% complete
  • Tsukiotoshi arc - 100% complete
  • Taraimawashi arc - 100% complete
  • Yoigoshi arc - 100% complete
  • Tokihogushi - 100% complete
  • Miotsukushi Omote - starting now

Tokihogushi has been released, bringing the total to 6/10 translated.  The next arc will be Miotsukushi Omote.

Recruitment

I'm looking for a translator, a translation checker, and an editor or two to help out with the remaining arcs.  The project will get done significantly faster, and with better quality if I have some other people helping me out.  Let me know if you're interested in contributing!

Edited by DoctorDiablo

Awesome, I'd be glad to have both of you.  If either of you are willing to read through the one arc that's currently released and try to fix any issues you can find, I'll put together another release that includes your fixes.  Otherwise, I'll ping you when the next arc is far enough along to use your help.

Since the patch is out, it's probably a bit too late to edit?  Most of the people who wanted to read this have probably already done so. Unless you feel like it really needs a look-over, I think it'd make more sense to just start with the next one.

Edited by Vokoca

Since he did everything himself for the first arc, I find it pretty reasonable to ask someone to look it over. It's not easy to TLC and edit your own work in your native language, let alone translation and any mistakes he'll want covered before the final patch anyway. Then again this is just an observers opinion as I am not the one donating my time for it.

Kageboushi is 100% translated.  Editing has just begun.  In addition to the editing, we're working on integrating all the recent improvements from the main Higurashi PS3 patches into the console arcs release, including ADV move (the PS3 arcs were designed to be played in ADV, after all).

Tsukiotoshi is now 100% translated and has just entered editing.  Hoping to have a release by the end of April.

I'm planning to add a couple of new features alongside the Tsukiotoshi release, including lip-sync support, 1080p sprites (right now they're 720p), and the option to play using MangaGamer sprites.

Congratulation for the release of the patches in the past, and thanks for that. Also it's okay if you take your time on Miotsukushi there, seeing that it's considered as the second finale for Higurashi and therefore it's normal if that arc is very long. Good luck to work on that.