Fuwa VN Reading Club: Summer 2017 (Chrono Clock)

kyrt

Chrono Clock Poll 2: Expectations vs Reality  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which route was your favorite?

• Misaki
    • D.D.
    • Makoto
    • Michiru
    • Cro
    • Miu

This poll is closed to new votes

The Summer months are now here and the theme for June/July will be Summer. The poll will be open through the evening of May 28th 2017 (MST), at which time the selection for June will be declared and we'll all start reading. 

As usual, please only vote if you intend to read along with the club. Now without further delay here are your nominees! (Chrono Clock and Everlasting Summer tied with 9 votes each)

Chrono Clock Discussion will be here. (For this first poll I'm well aware certain characters can't be read initially it's what do you want to read first)

Everlasting Summer will be in this thread.

Feel free to read one or both of the visual novels just keep discussion about each in their respective threads.

Just a reminder put any spoilers in spoiler tags.

Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort

Spoiler

HJySoNl.jpg

Welcome to your part time job at a Southern resort. Full of deep blue skies, clear seas, and vibrant vegetation this might just be where you find some summer love. Surrounded by many girls: energetic imouto-like Sango, affectionate airhead ojousama Riho (not that one), shy and earnest Shiori, or even the strict manager Nagisa you can thank your kouhai Umi for getting you this job. Now admittedly she is the cause of you losing your previous job but hey now you get to have some fun at a summer resort, that is if you can keep your new job. Might be easier said than done as immediately upon arriving at your new job things get complicated and you must now pretend to be Umi's boyfriend or risk being sent back home.

Koirizo is a fairly fanservice-y title which depending on route can also be a pretty relaxing and fun read.  The game is a fairly standard moege that takes place at a beach resort instead of a school with the main character Soutarou running into multiple girls on this resort island each with unique personalities. This is a bright and cheerful visual novel with great visuals and artwork and some quirky characters.

(edited vndb description)

Air 

Spoiler

AirOpeningTitle.jpg

Kunisaki Yukito's deceased mother left him with the doll and her last wish that Yukito look for the "girl in the skies" because it is his destiny to save her. Only half-understanding what his mother meant, Yukito has been traveling across Japan, vainly searching for this myth-like girl his mother told him about. His latest destination is a small, sleepy town where summer has just arrived; and his encounter with a young girl named Misuzu there sets the wheels of destiny turning....

"Just another summer day. A mundane, typical day. Maybe that's all I wanted." -Yukito

Everlasting Summer

Spoiler

Meeting Semyon, the game's main character, you would've never paid attention to him. Just an ordinary young man with thousands, even hundreds of thousands of those like him in every ordinary city. But one day something completely unusual happens to him: he falls asleep in a bus in winter and wakes up... in the middle of a hot summer. In front of him is "Sovyonok" - a pioneer camp, behind him is his former life. To understand what happened to him, Semyon will have to get to know the local inhabitants (and maybe even find love), find his way in the complex labyrinth of human relationships and his own problems and solve the camp's mysteries. And answer the main question - how to come back? Should he come back?

(edited Steam description)

Chrono Clock

Spoiler

chrono-clock.png?w=640

The protagonist of this story, Rei Sawatari inherited a pocket watch with a special ability; 'The power to go back in time five minutes.’. It's a power that he can use as many times as he wants, but it's somewhat difficult to make use of. 
If he uses it well, then there's no telling what he could accomplish. Our protagonist is just a happy-go-lucky boy who became a time traveler in order to have fun adventures every day. At first, he sets off to simply make his life more fun, like the romantic comedy of his dreams, but that changes when he witnesses a girl fall to her death.

Don't expect a narrative-driven experience but do expect a rather well done harem rom/com.

Ever 17

Spoiler

Image result for ever 17 wallpaper

Ever 17 is the tale of those who come to be trapped 153 feet within the underwater marine theme park, LeMU. During an apparently normal May day at the park, a massive accident happens, placing almost half of the facility underwater. The path to the surface and the communication lines are cut off. In addition, LeMU is under constant assault by severe water pressure, limiting time to find a means of escape to 119 hours. What follows is a story full of mystery, twists, interesting characters, and a fantastic story. Ever 17 was my introduction to the visual novel medium and even to this day is something I can't help but hold in high regard.

(vndb edited description)

Well, I did already play two of Chrono Clock route (DD's and Misaki's) and right now I'm in the beginning of Makoto's route once again. I'll do my commentary on Makoto's route here later.

In regard of the poll, it's actually impossible to had Cro's route as the first route and pretty much everyone else were forced to play Miu's arc first. So naturally if you ask what's route you did want to play first, the choice should be DD, Makoto, Misaki, and Michiru only. By the way, DD was the first route that I finished and I was planned to play DD first since I get Chrono Clock here.

3 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

In regard of the poll, it's actually impossible to had Cro's route as the first route and pretty much everyone else were forced to play Miu's arc first. So naturally if you ask what's route you did want to play first, the choice should be DD, Makoto, Misaki, and Michiru only. By the way, DD was the first route that I finished and I was planned to play DD first since I get Chrono Clock here.

If you read the first post you will see that I'm aware that you can't play certain routes right away. The poll is to see what people want to read the most after initially starting the game and meeting the potential characters. 

11 minutes ago, kyrt said:

If you read the first post you will see that I'm aware that you can't play certain routes right away. The poll is to see what people want to read the most after initially starting the game and meeting the potential characters. 

I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding here, and have fun in regard of Chrono Clock.

Just now, littleshogun said:

I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding here, and have fun in regard of Chrono Clock.

No worries I probably should have mentioned it in the poll itself.

That said after getting a little past the prologue I found myself the most interested in the character potential for Makoto. Bit of a more unique take on that character type. This is one of the odd instances where I don't initially dislike any of the characters. The cast seems like they'll be good fun.

26 minutes ago, kyrt said:

That said after getting a little past the prologue I found myself the most interested in the character potential for Makoto. Bit of a more unique take on that character type. This is one of the odd instances where I don't initially dislike any of the characters. The cast seems like they'll be good fun.

The Chrono Clock cast is the big draw of the game; they're stellar. Even DD grew on me eventually. And, yes, Makoto is awesome in a lot of ways.

Once thing I really like about the game is how it's structured so that it keeps exposing you to different sides of the heroines, even outside of their individual routes.

I voted for Makoto since she seems like an interesting character from what I've seen from trailers and such. All of the characters seem to be very likeable except possibly Michiru since she seems super obsessed with her brother. I find the whole thing really strange and it's a bit of a turn-off of her character for me. I don't have the game yet though, so maybe that opinion will change once I actually start playing! I'm hoping to get it and start playing as soon as I can, but that all depends on how fast I can find a cheap Windows laptop that I can play VNs on; the tablet I was using barely made it through the end of Deardrops, so I don't think it will be able to handle Chrono Clock well. :( 

2 hours ago, wyldstrykr said:

isnt chronoclock is still one quality check?

Nah, it's fine. I think they're planning to do one more patch with some touch-up, but it's in pretty good shape already. I just finished it and can confidently say it has fewer typos and whatnot than the last club selection, Deardrops.

Edit:

8 hours ago, Adorabear said:

I voted for Makoto since she seems like an interesting character from what I've seen from trailers and such. All of the characters seem to be very likeable except possibly Michiru since she seems super obsessed with her brother. I find the whole thing really strange and it's a bit of a turn-off of her character for me. I don't have the game yet though, so maybe that opinion will change once I actually start playing! I'm hoping to get it and start playing as soon as I can, but that all depends on how fast I can find a cheap Windows laptop that I can play VNs on; the tablet I was using barely made it through the end of Deardrops, so I don't think it will be able to handle Chrono Clock well. :( 

Can confirm, Chrono Clock is actually pretty rough on my tablet: it runs okay, but the fan starts going full blast after a few minutes of playing, and it drains the battery pretty fast. I've had a few games the tablet has handled worse (Tenkiame really chugged on it...), but not many.

Edited by Fred the Barber
avoiding double post

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

Can confirm, Chrono Clock is actually pretty rough on my tablet: it runs okay, but the fan starts going full blast after a few minutes of playing, and it drains the battery pretty fast. I've had a few games the tablet has handled worse (Tenkiame really chugged on it...), but not many.

Thanks for the info! Mine will probably act much worse then. :( I have been thinking of getting a new device for VNs for a bit since mine has shit memory and battery life (I got it from the in-laws..turns out there is only 7 GB of memory to play with, so I can have only 1-2 VNs on the machine at a time, and the battery doesn't even last an hour without being plugged in D: ). The whole thing with Deardrops didn't help either; it worked fine at first, but when I was near the end of the game, the tablet just kept having fits and doing strange stuff like constantly minimizing the game, giving me grey screens, and appearing to freeze once or twice. I really want something that just has more memory and a disc drive so I can play more VNs that are only on Windows, but not sure how much that is going to cost me. :/

20 hours ago, Adorabear said:

Thanks for the info! Mine will probably act much worse then. :( I have been thinking of getting a new device for VNs for a bit since mine has shit memory and battery life (I got it from the in-laws..turns out there is only 7 GB of memory to play with, so I can have only 1-2 VNs on the machine at a time, and the battery doesn't even last an hour without being plugged in D: ). The whole thing with Deardrops didn't help either; it worked fine at first, but when I was near the end of the game, the tablet just kept having fits and doing strange stuff like constantly minimizing the game, giving me grey screens, and appearing to freeze once or twice. I really want something that just has more memory and a disc drive so I can play more VNs that are only on Windows, but not sure how much that is going to cost me. :/

If by disc drive you mean a DVD drive, just get an external USB one; what's what I use for installing VNs to my tablet. Cost me $20 and works like a champ. The memory and whatnot, well... that's where stuff gets expensive, on these smaller devices, so yeah, probably no helping that.

Got to playing Chrono Clock and just finished the prologue.

Indeed the high point of the game seems to be the characters, of which all of them are likable and none feel shallow. Though Misaki felt a bit cliche, I barely started reading so my opinion may change but currently this tsundere ojou-sama is the least interesting heroine.

I ended up liking Michiru the most which at first seemed odd to me as I'm not into siscon. Also she really seems a lot similar to Miyako, especially when she comes to wake the protag up, I just can't help but remember Miyako. 

The most interesting and unique character though is definitely Makoto, I just have no clue as to how she'll react to things or how her romance will proceed which is pretty rare nowadays with most of the characters falling into some kind of archetype with a general reaction and flow being predictable. 

And I have to say the most ingenious way Rei used the Clock is 

Spoiler

Just after the prologue ends, when he smashes the clock to get those precious five minutes of extra sleep time. I'd soooo do that every single morning.

For now best grills:

Michiru > Makoto > Cro > Miu > Misaki

On May 30, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Fred the Barber said:

If by disc drive you mean a DVD drive, just get an external USB one; what's what I use for installing VNs to my tablet. Cost me $20 and works like a champ. The memory and whatnot, well... that's where stuff gets expensive, on these smaller devices, so yeah, probably no helping that.

Thanks! I didn't even know I could do that or that they were that cheap. :o I expect the memory might make things a bit expensive; I'm sure I can find anything better than the tablet that has only 7 GB without any difficulty, although I don't know how much would be the best amount for me yet yet. 

I did not mind the Makoto route (wish they would have done a bit more mind). Part of me is happy they did not go with the usual typical cliche and yet another part of me is sad we couldn't get more time with these particular characters. It's not been a full week yet so I'll hold off on doing that tempting spoiler box until later. I will probably read D.D.s route next.