Konichichi~!

LemiusK

Bought a bunch of visual novel-ish titles recently, so I thought I would look up a visual novel-ish forum to join and discuss the heck out of them, and here I am. :meguface:

The games I bought:
- Zero Escape: The Nonary Games (trilogy bundle, with voice acting!)
- Steins;Gate (Finally! This is the choice of the Steins;Gate... El psy kongroo)
- Corpse Party on 3DS (sucks that its sequels haven't been adapted for the PC or 3DS yet)

And that's it, for now. :mellow: I guess this is the part of the introduction thread where I add a little related backstory about me...

I've been playing reading visual novels on and off for half a decade. Because of their length, I've never really had a lot of time devoted to their completion, but I have succeeded a couple of times in the past, namely Key titles like Clannad and Little Busters. I prefer visual novels over kinetic novels as they have choices and thus felt more "interactive", but I've tried my hands on Higurashi and Umineko, and found their well-written stories satisfying enough to sit through entire walls of text without interacting with anything (haven't completed either titles, however).

Aside from visual novels, I enjoy watching anime, watching movies, and play the occasional non-VN video games every now and then. I also like chicken, but it's easy to like chicken. :sachi:

2 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

Hello and welcome to Fuw0, S;G is pretty damn good and you should try S;G 0 if you haven't. 

Truth be told, I've only seen the anime once, and it wasn't even one of my favorites. :P After finding out that the game had multiple endings, however, I was intrigued by it and decided to buy it.

Just now, LemiusK said:

Truth be told, I've only seen the anime once, and it wasn't even one of my favorites. :P After finding out that the game had multiple endings, however, I was intrigued by it and decided to buy it.

More often than not Visual novel adaptations get butchered in anime, if you're able to I'll always recommend you to read the vn instead of watching the anime first. Then you can watch it if you're still curious though if you want to get a bit more of the characters or whatever.

15 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

More often than not Visual novel adaptations get butchered in anime, if you're able to I'll always recommend you to read the vn instead of watching the anime first. Then you can watch it if you're still curious though if you want to get a bit more of the characters or whatever.

lol Too late for that. But seeing that it was a long time ago that I had watch the anime, I guess it wouldn't affect my judgement playing the VN.

That aside, I definitely agree that the Corpse Party anime got butchered up pretty badly. From what I could remember of the S;G anime, at least that had some decent writing and a coherent pacing. I also preferred the anime OP as opposed to the VN one, as much as I love "Skyclad Observer". I feel that Skyclad Observer worked much better in the anime when it was inserted near the end of the series as opposed to as an opening. It was much more epic that way.

Just now, LemiusK said:

lol Too late for that. But seeing that it was a long time ago that I had watch the anime, I guess it wouldn't affect my judgement playing the VN.

That aside, I definitely agree that the Corpse Party anime got butchered up pretty badly. From what I could remember of the S;G anime, at least that had some decent writing and a coherent pacing. I also preferred the anime OP as opposed to the VN one, as much as I love "Skyclad Observer". I feel that Skyclad Observer worked much better in the anime when it was inserted near the end of the series as opposed to as an opening. It was much more epic that way.

It happens with most cases that the anime ends up being inferior to the visual novel counterpart.

Just now, DarkZedge said:

It happens with most cases that the anime ends up being inferior to the visual novel counterpart.

Often, yes, but not always. I do know certain titles that are either better or equivalent to the quality, especially Key VNs. For one reason or another, most of the older Key titles had been decent adaptations, specifically Clannad and the Kanon remake. Not so much Little Busters, but that's for another day.

Just now, LemiusK said:

Often, yes, but not always. I do know certain titles that are either better or equivalent to the quality, especially Key VNs. For one reason or another, most of the older Key titles had been decent adaptations, specifically Clannad and the Kanon remake. Not so much Little Busters, but that's for another day.

I can't stand Clannad, Kanon, Air and to a lesser extent little busters either their anime or visual novel counterpart but it's because of a personal preference when it comes to art styles, it creeps me out :sacchan:

Just now, DarkZedge said:

I can't stand Clannad, Kanon, Air and to a lesser extent little busters either their anime or visual novel counterpart but it's because of a personal preference when it comes to art styles, it creeps me out :sacchan:

Yeah, I know that it has its critics, but I'm one of those who like this kind of sappy stuff. After Story still got me crying from time to time. :wafuu:

Welcome to Fuwanovel, and I also like chicken by the way (If it's fried though). Chicken aside, if you like some sappy VN maybe HatsuKoi would be good, and so does both of Princess Evangile and Koichoco. Also if you want more sci-fi VN, then both of Root Double and I/O would be good (Ever17 as well). Hope you enjoy yourself here.

Edited by littleshogun

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

Welcome to Fuwanovel, and I also like chicken by the way (If it's fried though). Chicken aside, if you like some sappy VN maybe HatsuKoi would be good, and so does both of Princess Evangile and Koichoco. Also if you want more sci-fi VN, then both of Root Double and I/O would be good (Ever17 as well). Hope you enjoy yourself here.

Woo, most of these have "Lots of Choices" as tags; me like lots of choices in VNs. :P I'll check them out in the future. Right now, I've got one too many VNs on my hands to juggle with. haha

Sci-Fi VNs are nice, but I actually like my stories my grounded and modernized (perhaps with a mix of sci-fi elements thrown in), like Fate/Stay Night and YMK. I've tried my hands on Ever17, but I had a hard time liking it, or staying engaged with its characters.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome!