Ever 17

pulinpa

I just completed my first ever visual novel. 

To be fair, it was recommended to me about six years ago and yes, it's taken me this long to finally read it. I had the game and played through about 3/4 of Tsugumi's route before I switched to a written LP (complete with music links of course) due to a couple of different reasons, but I found it to be an amazing experience!

I played 999, VLR and I am working on ZTD. This genre is something I eat right up. I'm going to play Remember 11 next, and maybe Never 7 one day. 

Honestly, the first two routes (Sora & Tsugumi) while they had their bright points, the slice of life aspect of things completely bored me. And I'm one who loves Slice of Life usually! It was just so badly written, imo, and cringeworthy. I'm sorry, but I hated the 'kick the can' scenes, after reading it once I largely just skimmed it. I was considering stopping it, because I read rave reviews online but it was just so ...dry. God, am I glad I continued. Once I got to You's route, it totally picked up. From that point onward, I could not stop reading!

I love twists, learning about Jungian psychology and philosophical dilemmas in the way that Uchikoshi always includes these little tidbits in his games. 

I would just HIGHLY recommend this game to anyone who liked the Zero Escape series. Get through the first two Takeshi routes and do everything else as the Kid and it will be supremely enjoyable.

Now I'm here because when I googled Ever 17 discourse, it took me to this forum most of the time. Since I am planning on reading a lot more VNs, I figure it'd be a good idea to join up! 

Because this topic hasn't really accomplished anything, I'll ask this: Who is your favorite Ever 17 character and why? 

When I first started, it was Tsugumi. Then it quickly jumped to Sora, (I have a soft spot for AIs) but really, I think the most interesting character was You. They are definitely my top three! I love tsunderes and mysterious characters, so Tsugumi was a shoe-in right away. Sora is just so cute, and I absolutely love AI characters so much and I think their supposed "inability" to experience love is so tragic. But You (starting with her route) just engaged me so much, and I learned to really love her. Also I loved all that third-eye stuff. I love occult discourse. :D

Don't be misled. I also was an eager fan of Uchikoshi (Ever 17's director)... before ZTD. What I wanted to make clear is that there aren't that many VNs like these out there. There are, but they are in the minority.

Maybe you'll like Steins;Gate or Danganronpa in the future.

Welcome! Glad to see someone else find this place thanks to Uchikoshi's works, haha. I came here when I was looking for Ever17 content, myself!

I loved Sora's route above everything else in Ever17 somehow though, lol.

Also, yeah, temper expectations for ZTD. It's gutter trash.

I agree with my friends here about ZTD, but I truly believe you should play it by yourself before taking any opinions on it. Since you are going into it, don't create a lot of expectations, but also it is not ~that bad.

Since it is not a recommendation thread, I will refrain on doing that, but since you liked Ever 17, you must read Never7 and Remember11! And Danganronpa, which is almost (forcing a lot here) 999's lost sister.

I don't understand the hate for ZTD. It has everything good about Uchikoshi and the Zero Escape series; bantering characters, fast-paced storytelling and several mind game scenarios.
I mean, it's not like the game doesn't have flaws... like ridiculous lolscience and a convoluted solution ... but that is also what you can expect of Uchikoshi, so I don't know why you are so offended when he simply does his shtick the third time.

I highly enjoyed ZTD for what it is. I especially like the non-moe characters and their relationships and the human drama Uchikoshi likes to include in his stories (and sadly, you don't find these in normal Japanese visual novel anymore).
ZTD was full of it, so it was an epic win for me, lol.

On the other hand, I don't understand the love for Danganronpa either, especially if you like Zero Escape and the Infinity series. Regardless what you think of lolscience and convoluted storylines, at least those games are smart and don't talk down to the reader.
Danganronpa however is not smart. The murder cases are all painfully obvious and there is no twist you can't anticipate from a mile away. The games are so pretentiously conceited that they take hours to explain these obvious things to the player, apparently expecting the reader to be dimwit who can't make the simplest deductions by himself, but can't even follow that up with some meaningful conclusions. I have never seen a story revolving around an abstract concept (in this case hope and despair) being so shallow and superficial. Danganronpa is pretentiousness in perfection.

I've tried my hands on Ever17; didn't like it for its length and overall dullness. Just started 999, and from what I've read about its "mind games" or whatever, I expect I won't like it much either.

That being said... I do agree on Danganronpa's superficiality. Never have I seen a storyline as cartoonish and cliched as this, except maybe Guardians of the Galaxy, a movie which I didn't enjoy either due to the characters' equally cliched archetypes, but that's another topic for another thread. The whole motivation of "bring despair to the whole world" sounds so stupid too. After the first game's disappointing ending, I never got to finish Danganronpa 2 after around Chapter 3 or so, half-expecting it to get better. I can see why people like these characters, but it's just not to my taste. I found them incredibly uninteresting.

About ZTD, it's my opinion only (but it has been echoed by some people here, too). I expected something as good as VLR and Uchi quite didn't deliver it. The game is not truly bad, it's just weak as a Zero Escape entry (don't get me started on those lazy puzzles), and in the end, it just let me down hardly. I wanna try Root Double for a "change of pace" (heh).

Oh, and here I'm expecting 12 Riven finally makes it to these shores.

Edited by Okarin

ZTD has problems:

1) I feel like it failed to really sell the personality of one of the returning characters compared to how this character was in previous games;

2) It has a few eyerolling plot twists in it

3) Virtue's Last Reward had an awesome

stinger, which really set things up for an awesome third game.  ZTD basically ignores this entirely, to the point that

the stinger isn't even canon anymore

I suspect what happened here is budgetary problems (ZTD had a considerable amount of trouble even getting greenlit) meant that the game had to be changed from what was originally planned.  But this still sucks.