VNR is back online!

Damn, had to make a new account...lost the old one, anyway

This new VNR work weirdly, more so that hook...A lot of poeple seem to have this problem.

Here is the weird thing about VNR not hooking the text properly, i tried different game and each time the game wizard recognised a game the hook could not find any text. But then i tried a game wich the Wizard did NOT recognise so i had to find the text manually, it worked.

THe game in question is MGQ Paradox, the wizard can find where the text are and you just have to choose wivh one to hook, can't understand why the translation is worse than Chiitrans Lite when they both use Google.....whatever, Chiitrans don't work anymore anyway.

So it work ! Only for game the wizard could not find on the web.

On game the wizard "recognise" like here: 

gAH4I8c.png

I don't know if "Null" is a good news tho'....Does that mean the wizard hook NOTHING ( "Null" ) but that's counted as ok ?

As you would have understood, after that VNR don't hook the text, being it at Japanese CP932 ( never seen a game with a text here...), UTF-16 nor UTF -8....

As someone mentioned it could be the last W10 update, but then again, MGQ paradox work fine. So the hook CAN work.

54 minutes ago, Samishii00 said:

Damn, had to make a new account...lost the old one, anyway

This new VNR work weirdly, more so that hook...A lot of poeple seem to have this problem.

Here is the weird thing about VNR not hooking the text properly, i tried different game and each time the game wizard recognised a game the hook could not find any text. But then i tried a game wich the Wizard did NOT recognise so i had to find the text manually, it worked.

THe game in question is MGQ Paradox, the wizard can find where the text are and you just have to choose wivh one to hook, can't understand why the translation is worse than Chiitrans Lite when they both use Google.....whatever, Chiitrans don't work anymore anyway.

So it work ! Only for game the wizard could not find on the web.

On game the wizard "recognise" like here: 

gAH4I8c.png

I don't know if "Null" is a good news tho'....Does that mean the wizard hook NOTHING ( "Null" ) but that's counted as ok ?

As you would have understood, after that VNR don't hook the text, being it at Japanese CP932 ( never seen a game with a text here...), UTF-16 nor UTF -8....

As someone mentioned it could be the last W10 update, but then again, MGQ paradox work fine. So the hook CAN work.

Is this the reason why the subtitles didn't show/update on text box? (Which is also mostly the text box is disappearing in mine)

Btw, my game is Koi Kakeru Shinai Kanojo

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 2:08 PM, xeratzy said:

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but when I start Visual Novel Reader, it auto detects my nvidia geforce overlay as a running game, is it possible to remove auto adding games to the spring board?

Having this problem as well is there a way to disable auto game detection?

I'm having issues with VTR and Windows 10 compatibly settings. If I set the game to a functional setting VTR can't find the text, but if it's a wrong setting VTR can. The game still runs at the wrong setting, so it's not too bat. But it would be nice to not have a ton of question marks everywhere. I tried messing with ITH, but it fails to attach itself to anything.

11 hours ago, Pr0ject_0verflow said:

I'm having issues with VTR and Windows 10 compatibly settings. If I set the game to a functional setting VTR can't find the text, but if it's a wrong setting VTR can. The game still runs at the wrong setting, so it's not too bat. But it would be nice to not have a ton of question marks everywhere. I tried messing with ITH, but it fails to attach itself to anything.

There's no such thing as "wrong setting". Each game requires a different setting, just because a setting worked for a game it doesn't mean it'll work on another. You'll have to configure each new game you hook. Or are you talking about windows settings? What even is a "wrong windows setting"??????????

The question marks are probably a problem with the text thread, choose UTF16 then pick the right box with the right japanese text.

6 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

There's no such thing as "wrong setting". Each game requires a different setting, just because a setting worked for a game it doesn't mean it'll work on another. You'll have to configure each new game you hook. Or are you talking about windows settings? What even is a "wrong windows setting"??????????

The question marks are probably a problem with the text thread, choose UTF16 then pick the right box with the right japanese text.

Wrong setting=compatibility setting where game runs but menu text is garbled. Figured out what the problem was though. VNR wasn't launching the game thru applocale, works fine now.

Can someone help me? I've downloaded it extracted it but all I get is this

zMnXr.png

I just want to finish a game I started a while back but VNR just doesn't want anything with me, I tried updating and looking up stuff online but it gave me absolutely no information as to how to fix this. If anyone can help with this I'd appreciate it.

Hi everyone i got a problem with the VNR i dont know if there is that the program its not compatible with the RPG MV games or is and older version 

but says not supported please update VNR but i think i got the lastest and update by root folder doesnt work or by spring board update dictionary and i tried every single UTF setting also i dont know the Hook Code either

YqTJLVk.png

Edited by rideryou2

• 3 weeks later...

I am still getting the issue where every time i close VNR and restart my dictionary not saved.

Start VNR dict has 132073 entries
Update dict get ~ 144752 entries

Restart or quit and reopen VNR
Shared dict has 132073 entries

on windows 7 using guest account.

I have an export of both my OLD VNR dict circa may 2017
and the new one, there also seems to be no easy way to import the old one other than remaking every entry line by line.

Edited by novadyne

Hello! I would appreciate it if you could help me with my problem. I'm trying to register on the website and I always get a "registration successful you can log in now" but I can't seem to log in. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind I solved it. To anybody else facing this problem, choose anything from the dropdown list. CHOOSE ANYTHING ASIDE FROM THE FIRST OPTION.

Edited by Xykros

• 4 weeks later...

I am very new to this, and for the past few days i have been trying to make this work. I have followed every instruction i could find on the internet and still can't make it work. The problem i am having is that vnr.exe won't open. I double click on it, it loads for half a second and nothing happens. I disabled my anti-virus, tried to run it as admin, tried to open it through task manager, even tried running it in windows safe mode, i also vent through all folders and files. Can someone please give me some advice on how to make it work? I have found this from 2015 and the guy seems to have had a similar problem: https://github.com/rayNymous/annot-player/issues/33

I also tried it on another pc and it works fine.

Edited by LichLord22
New information

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys - new user here!
Sorry for barging in. 
I've started just today to use VNR so I'm kind of a noob but.. I believe I followed the instructions that were already given but my problem still persists..

My text appears twice - the japanese text - and so it's translated twice, making it kinda terrible to read.
I'm not sure what else to try to fix this.. I've already clicked the "eliminate" repetition thing in the Text setting menu..
 See: picture here.
I've read without VNR so far on my own, I'm able to understand quite a bit, but it's so slow to read like this.. it takes forever, so if I could make this work it would be great..
Anyone knows what else I can try?

cheers! (btw the game is PersonA - Operaza no Kaijin, dunno if it makes a difference or not. I don't have other games at the moment).

<3

• 2 weeks later...

tried making a new account to the website because i lost my old accounts password, anyways no matter what i sign up or how i do it, the website says "no such user in database" even though it legit just said that i could log in, am i doing something wrong or what?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have encountered problem in translating the game "Koi x Shin Ai Kanojo". (I am using Win10 and not sure if updates fuck VNR up or not)

When I have proceeded to the game scene, there isn't the black box displaying texts. 

I have tried many solutions stated in Internet like restarting VNR many times, editing "Preference" in Spring Board and "Language Preference" in game, but neither of them work.

Would anybody can help?

Most likely not. Since the original people who worked on it disappeared, it hasn't been the same, or as good as it was then. (this also pretty much killed me reading any new releases that have come out since then)

It's a real shame too, I liked how the VNR worked all in one without the pain in the ass details needed that some other translation devices needed. y'know, because I'm lazy and just want an all-in-one.

• 2 weeks later...

A real shame, I spoke Spanish and used VNR to translate novels directly from Japanese or English into Spanish.
But since the original developer no longer gave signs of life, the only thing that has come so far is for the project to sink like titanic.
It remains to learn either English or wait for a miracle for someone else to make new software or to maintain VNR.

I wonder why I always have to fall back onto the sakuradite version. Just why is all that the new version can offer is an online db yet that version is more prone to freezing after closing a game and slowing down (now even crashing)? Heck, RPG Maker (VA Ace) games are a nightmare with this since too much text just likes to result in some Visual Studio "pop-up" which one can luckily move (unless two consecutive appear), crashing VNR if one closes the error and crashing the RPG Maker game upon re-hooking unless it was closed before. Funnily enough Slay the Spire (certainly not a Visual Novel but a rogue-lite deck builder) is also detected, well, kinda since the message about failing to hook will flood the right screen.

Honestly I am by the by curious why I can no more play RPG Maker Games (all but MV) in full-screen since the subtitles will flicker extremely (to the point of being unreadable), I did not have that before...

I really love VNR for being so user-friendly and still use it so I hope that some programmer can take up the task to separate the gold from the dung i.e polishing VNR somehow. I'd gladly take a "lite" version which disregards all online functionality except for the machine translation (and database for hookcodes) as well as other features that have nothing to to with subtitles (and the ability to move, zoom and do whatever with them, except reading aloud maybe... to put it simple, I just want features gone that result in those messes, possibly adding one where cache is cleaned).

Funnily enough, since some much time already I found a Plugin which enables VNR to work with RPG Maker MV games but since some time the newer Wolf RPG Maker games do not work anymore (giving one only a little bit of text, farewell acerola after Claire)

On 7/7/2018 at 1:03 PM, SakuraKoi said:

I really love VNR for being so user-friendly and still use it so I hope that some programmer can take up the task to separate the gold from the dung i.e polishing VNR somehow. I'd gladly take a "lite" version which disregards all online functionality except for the machine translation (and database for hookcodes) as well as other features that have nothing to to with subtitles (and the ability to move, zoom and do whatever with them, except reading aloud maybe... to put it simple, I just want features gone that result in those messes, possibly adding one where cache is cleaned).

You mean ITHVNR?

Could somebody help me out? I'm new to using VNR and while I can get the machine translation to work, I don't know how to access the community subtitles. Clicking the "Update Subtitles" on the menu screen gives me a "No subtitles found" notification. The "Update Danmaku" seems to work, though I'm not sure what that actually does. Again, I'm new at this, so step by step instructions would be appreciated.

I already made an account on AniClan and have the latest version of VNR by the way.

2 hours ago, Hiashi said:

Could somebody help me out? I'm new to using VNR and while I can get the machine translation to work, I don't know how to access the community subtitles. Clicking the "Update Subtitles" on the menu screen gives me a "No subtitles found" notification. The "Update Danmaku" seems to work, though I'm not sure what that actually does. Again, I'm new at this, so step by step instructions would be appreciated.

You actually did it right, just need to click the Update Subtitles. It should have worked, so maybe the problem is outside of your control: VNR first server is down and it'll probably remain that way. And that's why someone made this second server. Problem is, for the subs to appear in the second server, people that have downloaded them from the first server beforehand had to upload them. If no one did that for the game you're trying to play, you're out of luck, as the subs are forever lost in the first server.

What game are you trying to play? I have some VNR subtitle files in my PC, not that much though.

The Update Danmaku only works for translation notes, I think.

16 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

What game are you trying to play? I have some VNR subtitle files in my PC, not that much though.

I was going for Hoshimemo Eternal Heart. An acquaintance of mine mentioned that it had a decent community sub so I thought I'd give it a try since I'm tired of waiting for SP to get their act together.

If there're any subs for other untranslated works by [Favorite] or [Pulltop], that would also be nice.