Hoshimemo Kickstarter Announced- AA and 18+ versions as well as Eternal Heart Stretch Goal

The problem with moege is that they're pretty similar to one another. So if you've played a handful of them, the next will be less interesting. It depends heavily on the theme though (who wants to read about a bunch of ojou-samas and their antics? Well if that's your thing, you're in for a treat).

4 minutes ago, Okarin said:

Don't get me wrong, I've dropped games, and I have games stalled, like Noble Works (I played Koichoco instead, and it was okay, Noble Works is just pretty insipid for me).

If you don't like or enjoy the majority of the routes, either the game is bad or it isn't your thing. There are games like Period, with  whopping 8 routes, that have filler routes, sadly. I consider this a mistake. Filler routes shouldn't exist.

Eh? Isn't that kinda contrary to your stance on collecting them all?? :P

Well not that we aren't all contrary at times when it comes to tastes. Personally it sometimes just comes down to timing. Like I can't read slice of life heavy stories/games one after another. I will literally want to gouge out my eyes. Gotta mix it up.

5 minutes ago, EdwardWongHPTIV said:

But unlike pokemon sometimes the grinding is the reward itself?

*drumroll*

Well... there are some really boring routes out there. >.<

The consolation is that you probably play them to unlock better ones. It's not my style to leave routes unplayed, but some deserve it. What usually happens is that when I'm into a route, I just figure "the heck, let's do it quickly and cleanly and never be bothered again with this [route]".

Edited by Okarin

But it's strange. You don't go into a route expecting that it's terrible -unless you really hated that character in the common route. So, most often you play it expecting it gets good at any moment, and then BAM! it's over. Most routes however, tend to manage a minimum of interest but that doesn't mean they're memorable either. Most problems are at the ending, there are some jarring endings.

I suppose there's that. Hindsight being 20/20. The expectation - "Surely it's not that bad and there'll be a twist?" Though it's honestly rare for a story to catch me off guard so expecting it to is wishful thinking. Oh well, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I guess in a way I should be glad for characters I absolutely hate. At least then I have a definite reason to not stick with the route.

The selling point of moeges (<--plural) is they are meant to be cute, slow and focus more on charming the reader than telling a story. Don't go searching for a seat edging, cliffhanging, tearjearking plot on one of them.

@edit
But hey, they are nice if you just want to sit back and have a good laugh after a hard day of work~ :wafuu:

Edited by Night

I've sometimes wondered how easy it is to be a comedian in Japan. If slice of life Japanese fiction is any indication you could keep doing the same material... mostly. Seriously though the situational humor seems to be rehashed quite a bit. Thankfully it's not always the case. Though I admit I've been known to forgive this when I like the characters.

53 minutes ago, EdwardWongHPTIV said:

I've sometimes wondered how easy it is to be a comedian in Japan. If slice of life Japanese fiction is any indication you could keep doing the same material... mostly. Seriously though the situational humor seems to be rehashed quite a bit. Thankfully it's not always the case. Though I admit I've been known to forgive this when I like the characters.

They're cliches. I don't know about the general Japanese humour, but slice of life in animu, manga and VN honours an age-old tradition, and it's rehashed a lot. Like the mandatory beach episode etc. It has been done for decades, and it stays because otaku (I guess) don't mind. I suppose.

P.S. Hoshimemo should be better known by its drama. It's classified as a nakige, right? And every route has drama, good or bad. It's not even a flip-flop work, switching between drama and laughs like, say, Angel Beats. Once drama begins, it stays until it's resolved.

Edited by Okarin

This certainly is a good way to get into FAVORITE's catalogue, and I'd assume that the afterwork would be quite a step-up from Insem's, though I already played the game myself ages ago, so I'm certainly not interested in backing it, but as a quite sworn FAVORITE fan, I'll definitely be following it progressing.

I also have to agree with Clephas with it being a rather good story-focused nakige, though those are rather subjective, in the first place.

As an ending note, if you have the chance to, get the soundtrack of the game, it's quite up there as far as VN soundtracks go.

Indeed, the OST of this game has one of the creepiest sheet music I have ever heared back then (at least, 2years ago)

Then I remember I don't have the OST of this game yet and because of that I'll pledge...
...is what I want to do but $45 is just too much for me so I guess I'll be satisfied with this youtube version

1 hour ago, Night said:

creepiest

You think that's creepy? I suppose it could seem that way if taken out of context, but when it played in the game, it gave me a more of a vibe of melancholic nostalgia.

Anyway, it's nice to see my favorite VN to date get localized. Maybe I should re-read Eternal Heart if the goal is reached, as some of the action scenes and shrine maiden talk was rather confusing.

The reputation is that the fan translation was inaccurate..... Anyone who read the original can confirm with an example? I saw quite a few odd sentences but nothing severe but then again my Jap is very basic

7 hours ago, iamnoob said:

The reputation is that the fan translation was inaccurate..... Anyone who read the original can confirm with an example? I saw quite a few odd sentences but nothing severe but then again my Jap is very basic

Plenty of mistranslations littered throughout it. Just a few examples

• If you ignore girls in puberty you're going down the wrong path (not you, but they (the girl) will go down the wrong path)
  • I waited for the moment Chinami would come down with glue all over her uniform (the MC's uniform not hers, and "glue" really just means starch on the uniform)

Or if you want more here's a list one of the editors that got kicked off made while going through it https://pastebin.com/riMwPRnB

5 hours ago, Chuee said:
  • If you ignore girls in puberty you're going down the wrong path (not you, but they (the girl) will go down the wrong path)

Ugh, that's a pretty heavy mistake there. It shifts the responsibility for "going down the wrong path" from the girl to the boy. More in line with Western trend, I guess :illya: