My journey into console FPS (seeking advice)

InvertMouse

N7B03NNl.jpg

Doom 1 is my all time favorite game, and Quake, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem 3D etc mean a lot to my childhood. The name InvertMouse hints at how much FPS mean to me.

But recently, I have been burned by bad port after bad port (not FPS but in general). Mafia 3 in particular stung, because I had looked forward to that so much. This is why I picked up a PS4. As time becomes more precious, I want to be able to hit a button and know it will run.

But man, I suck ass at FPS on consoles!

I love the new Doom, to a point where I bought it again on console as a training tool. Last night, I gave it a shot, and my performance was almost worthy of tears. Played on the lowest difficulty and nearly ran out of ammo, not to mention almost died. I have beaten Doom, Quake etc on nightmare with ease on PC, so this hurt.

The tips I have gathered so far:

1) Line your crosshair with strafing for that final bit of precision aim. I do this on PC as well but it looks like I need it even more on consoles.

2) Actually look at what is inside that crosshair. On PC, I can flick the mouse and know where it will land, but on console, not so.

Anyone else been through the same journey and has tips to share? Even if you have never been a PC gamer, but you are just really good at console FPS, I could use some help. Is it possible to become as good as a keyboard and mouse user? Even if I can get close, I will be happy. I am no pro-gamer, just need to be good enough to kick ass in campaigns.

Secretly, I hope to be able to beat Doom on Ultra Nightmare (1 life only) someday. On PC it is already nuts. Console, I wonder if it is physically possible. Since I do not own a powerful PC, Doom loads much faster on the PS4, so I do enjoy that part of the experience.

Thank you!

Many console fps still have precision aim problem. I remember when I played Black on ps2, great game but it wasn't accurate like pc fps games. In many older console fps games the best thing to do is just wave your weapon around your target and keep the fire button held down. Eventually you will get a kill. But this was really frustrating to me because I wanted to be more accurate than I that, I wanted the feel of a mouse aiming controls.

Once auto aim came into fruition things got easier and more fun. You didn't have to be precise, the game would help you target your enemy and I think that was a good idea.

The new Doom does an excellent job with accuracy aiming. I don't know how they did it but it feel really good. It's not as good as keyboard and mouse but it comes damn close to it.

6 minutes ago, fun2novel said:

Many console fps still have precision aim problem. I remember when I played Black on ps2, great game but it wasn't accurate like pc fps games. In many older console fps games the best thing to do is just wave your weapon around your target and keep the fire button held down. Eventually you will get a kill. But this was really frustrating to me because I wanted to be more accurate than I that, I wanted the feel of a mouse aiming controls.

Once auto aim came into fruition things got easier and more fun. You didn't have to be precise, the game would help you target your enemy and I think that was a good idea.

The new Doom does an excellent job with accuracy aiming. I don't know how they did it but it feel really good. It's not as good as keyboard and mouse but it comes damn close to it.

Thanks for the response ^_^? I have auto aim turned off at the moment because I am a PC elitist :P. Is it possible to play well without it? Well, I guess it is, but this is all in comparison to keyboard and mouse for me.

2 hours ago, InvertMouse said:

In many older console fps games the best thing to do is just wave your weapon around your target and keep the fire button held down.

That's not entire accurate. What gamers usually do is rely more on straifing to hit the target rather than actually looking at it. So you usually look in the general direction of the target and strife left of right for accuracy.