Level headed/ non-standard MC

mavsynchroid

To start off, I know requests like this aren't exactly rare, but you never know what new VNs pop up between the last time something like this was requested and now, so I thought i'd give it a shot.

I really love level/cool headed MCs. The Grisaia series are a perfect example. Sharin no kuni is another example, as is... eh.. I forget the japanese name... The Devil on G-string in English though. They're not the boring MC's who get flustered by a girl flirting with them, nor are they incredibly stupid and need everything explained to them like they're idiots. Most of the time that's done for the player's sake, I know, but it just wears me down after a while. Things you instantly pick up as the player the MC doesn't realize until it's spelled out for him on almost a childish level. I'm not a fan of perverted MC's either. Sharin no Kuni had me worried at first, but he turned out to have much more substance than that.

Anywho, as always, thank for any and all recommendations!

Oh and before I forget..... ENGLISH ONLY PLEASE

The Majikoi series, the MC is a strategist and even fends off an obsessive girl. Saya no Uta, while his situation isn't normal he accepts certain stuff easily, though that goes more into the insane category. Coμ I think, but I played it a while ago so he might not be as level headed as I think

12 hours ago, bronx819 said:

The Majikoi series, the MC is a strategist and even fends off an obsessive girl. Saya no Uta, while his situation isn't normal he accepts certain stuff easily, though that goes more into the insane category. Coμ I think, but I played it a while ago so he might not be as level headed as I think

In the Majikoi series, is the MC a bad ass too? I ask because I just started it, but I'm kind of worried he seems a little plain. Maybe it's because I just went through the Grisaia VNs, so I currently have a low tolerance for wimpy/passive MCs. You said he fends off an obsessive girl. I'm pretty sure I know who that is based off playing for a bit, but by fending her off, do you mean how he just continues to reject her? I guess I'm pretty much asking how part of the story goes, but I don't want to bother playing if it only amounts to something like that.

19 hours ago, mavsynchroid said:

in the Majikoi series, is the MC a bad ass too?

He's more like an "anti-badass", imo. He does some cool stuff, but most of the time it's just him doing the prep work and letting others be the cool guys/girls.

Steins;Gate's Hououin Kyouma. A game with your regular dose of memes that's more than that. Lovable cast of characters and the baddest ass of badasses as MC. Also available in anime format because it's wildly popular.

Edited by Okarin

• 2 weeks later...
On Fri May 19 2017 at 2:17 PM, Okarin said:

Steins;Gate's Hououin Kyouma. A game with your regular dose of memes that's more than that. Lovable cast of characters and the baddest ass of badasses as MC. Also available in anime format because it's wildly popular.

Loved it. Not so much the second game,  to be honest. 

17 hours ago, Okarin said:

Yeah, Zero has a severe lack of Kyouma. Though, it's interesting in its own way -except the endings, that are generally a bit weak.

Felt the same way. Surprisingly wanted more "Christina" as well.  The chemistry between the two were great. Really hope there's a third that takes place after. 

On 5/19/2017 at 7:24 PM, Prinny said:

He's more like an "anti-badass", imo. He does some cool stuff, but most of the time it's just him doing the prep work and letting others be the cool guys/girls.

Imho that's one of the things it makes him badass, he knows when to quit and let others continue, but despite his lack of power he also wont hesitate to put his life on the line for his friends/loved ones. While not quite a badass in the classic way, he does also seem worthy of the title.