Hatsukoi 1/1 English Translation Available (Discussion and Poll)

Which is the best heroine  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best heroine

• Fujikawa Runa
    • Makabe Midori
    • Morino Yukino
    • Tokizaki Maya
    • Tsukishima Kyou
  2. 2. Which is the best route

• Makabe Midori
    • Fujikawa Runa
    • Tsukishima Kyou
    • Tokizaki Maya
    • Morino Yukino

This poll is closed to new votes

First of all, congratulations to HatsuKoi complete English patch release to Tsurezure. As for this thread, since there's still no serious discussion in regard of HatsuKoi I decide to made a thread for it (It's been a while since I made one for moege).

Most of the reviews that I'd found said that MC was gotten worse at both of Runa's route and Yukino's route, so I think that should be enough heads up if you want to play HatsuKoi fully. For the reviews there's one from Aedes and there's another review from the translator himself. By the way, his (The translator) score doesn't mean that he wasn't enjoy translating HatsuKoi, in fact he said that he enjoyong translating it. As for the reviews, beware that all of them were contained spoiler to some degree. 

As for my opinion, while I'd see many negative in regard of HatsuKoi MC (Yuma) was quite dense (So much that tone work need to post apology video in regard of that) and it's reception was not as good as tone work later works (Hoshiori and Gin'iro Haruka), I think this was most likely because of the pressure in regard of 20th year anniversary VN for Visual Art. Another reason I said that was in regard of tone work, which at that time was still new and yet they were handed the big responsibility for that, especially when faced with the big expectations from all of the consumer who wants good VN for the anniversary edition (Besides, I think even Key which is one of the biggest brand for Visual Arts would face similar problem). It's just quite hard to write about, so I'll just leave it and say that tone works was improved in their later works by using HatsuKoi as the basis. Nevertheless, I still happy though that we finally got one of tone work VN translated, albeit a rough one. As for the production value itself, HatsuKoi here were quite interesting one if we looking at the seiyuu for the heroines and the vocal song.

Since this is charage (Or moege) in the first place, of course what we should see here should be the girls instead of the story or action. There's a bit plot though, namely that Yuma trying to form Cafeteria club with him as the chairman. As for the girls, they were quite cute if I may say and once again the girls voice were quite good, also the seiyuu behind girls voice was quite well known. As for the the girls, they were:

1. Makabe Midori

26580.jpg

The student council president from Yuma's school. She was quite famous for being kind and understanding, and her speech was also quite heartwarming. Although in reality she was quite shy and she was said that she never taste of how being an ordinary girl here. Oh, and she came from rich family by the way. Her seiyuu was Isshiki Hikaru (aka Tanaka Ryouko) who voiced Sakaki Yumiko (Another rich girl) from Grisaia franchise, Narukana from Seinarukana, Neon Scalar Smilja from Gahkthun, Kurugaya Yuiko from Little Busters, Hinaori Kagome from Comyu, Kirimiya Mizuki from Yume Miru Kusuri, Hazakura Seiso from Majikoi franchise, and Kawahara Sakuya from I/O.

2. Fujikawa Runa

26582.jpg

One of Yuma childhood friend who was a year behind him. She was study very hard in order to enter Yuma's school and apparently quite energetic one. She was also secretly in love with Yuma (It's given though), and more importantly want to be seen as an adult woman. Momoi Ichigo was the one who provide voice for her, who in turn also voiced Akita Momoko from Aoishiro, Lacrille from Madou Koukaku, and Dorothy Davenport aka DD from Chrono Clock (At least there'll be no Engrish from Runa this time I assure).

3. Tsukishima Kyou

26583.jpg

One of Yuma's new classmate, and quite energetic at that. She is quite athletic as well, because she was participated in girls basketball club in the past and the ace player to boot (She quit from the club though). Nowadays, she was work at her family pizzeria (A restaurant that specialized in pizza). Her goal was to make her pizzeria the best in the world, and therefore she take her job at pizzeria very seriously. The voice for her was Natsuno Koori (aka Taguchi Hiroko) who voiced Suou Amane (Had same background in regard of basketball) from Grisaia franchise, Yarai Miu from Dracu Riot, Masamune Shizuru from Noble Works, Kagami Sumika from Muv Luv franchise, Hinata Natsumi from Sharin no Kuni, Kitsuki Riho from Koi Suru Natsu no Last Resort, and Kasugano Sora from Yosuga no Sora.

4. Tokizaki Maya

26584.jpg

Another Yuma's classmate, and unlike Kyou she was quite opposite (Kuudere). She apparently had bad reputation from skipping class a lot. She was quite famous child actress in the past, and she did quit after her last movie was flop (The reason was because according to in-game review the movie in question was too hard to understand by children). Oh, and she like to tease Yuma quite a lot. Her voice was Sakurai Harumi, who voiced Takamori Haruka at Beat Blade Haruka, Kanemoto Akari at Noble Works, Tokido Saya at Little Busters, Yayoi B. Lutwidge at Hapymaher, Kurokawa Sera at Lovely x Cation, and Lily at Himegari.

5. Morino Yukino

26581.jpg

Another Yuma's childhood friend, and at same age as Yuma. As his childhood friend, she obviously the closest to Yuma at the story beginning and Yuma's mother also quite close with Yukino. She was also quite fast befriended Kyou the moment they were met from the first time. Oh, and she appointed as vice chairman for the cafeteria committee. Her voice was Ogura Yui, who voiced Himiko from Eiyuu Senki, Inaba Yui from Flyable Heart, Yanagise Eika from Ikikoi, Wakatsuki Kagami from Subahibi, Nanase Rio from Imouto Paradise, and Maple from Nekopara.

By the way, each heroines were had image song although only two of the heroines were had their individual ending song though (Runa and Maya).

That's all for the heroines and review in regard of HatsuKoi. You could use this thread as discussion thread by the way. Have fun for discussing HatsuKoi here, and find out whether it's good or not by yourself.

Edited by littleshogun

Wow, the first translated title from Tone Work's. That's quite impressive, I'll certainly give it a try. :Chocola:

1 hour ago, wyldstrykr said:

they translated a vn that has 30-50 hr length in 17 weeks(?) nice!!!!

Really? If so, that would smell a bit fishy to be honest. Either they worked with almost inhuman speed, or they used... other means to get it done so fast.

The translator loves to translate ^^ thats why he said he usually translates 6 hours a day or so :). As far as I can tell the translation quality  really is ok but i'm not a native speaker 🤐

Edited by Tatanka82

Why do people like maya that much?

10 hours ago, littleshogun said:

First of all, congratulations to HatsuKoi complete English patch release to Tsurezure like I stated several times here. As for this thread, seeing that there's still no discussion in regard of heroines and routes, I decided to try make a thread for this VN (It's been a while since I made one for moege).

For the reviews, what I'd found were indeed quite a negative one and most of then said that MC was gotten worse at both of Runa's route and Yukino's route so I think that should be enough heads up if you want to play HatsuKoi. It's up to you though to found out about that. Oh, as for the reviews there's one from Aedes, there's another one from Visual Novel Spam, and finally there's review from the translator himself (By the way, his score doesn't mean that he wasn't enjoy translating HatsuKoi). All of them was contained spoiler to some degree.

As for my opinion, while I'd saw many negative in regard of HatsuKoi like the MC (Yuma) was quite dense (So much that tone work need to post apology video in regard of that) and it's not so good compared to tone work later works (Hoshiori and Gin'iro Haruka), I think this was most likely because of some pressure in regard of 20th year anniversary VN for Visual Art. Another reason I said that was in regard of the company, which to tell the truth was still new at that time and yet they was handed such big responsibility for that, especially when faced with such big expectation from all of the consumer who wants good VN for the anniversary edition (Besides, I think even Key which is one of the biggest brand for Visual Arts would face similar problem). It's just too many interpretation in regard of that, so I'll just leave it and say that tone works was improved in their later works once again by using this as the basis. Nevertheless, I still happy though that we finally got one of tone work translated, albeit a rough one. Oh, and all of my words before aside HatsuKoi here was had quite interesting production value if we looking at the seiyuu for the heroines and the vocal song.

Since this is charage (Or moege) in the first place, of course what we should see here should be the girls instead of the story or action. Although there's a bit plot though, namely that Yuma was trying to form Cafeteria club with him as the chairman. As for the girls, they were quite cute if I may say and once again the girls voice were quite interesting, also the seiyuu behind girls voice was quite well known. As for the the girls, they were:

1. Makabe Midori

26580.jpg

The student council president from where the Yuma's school. She was quite famous for being kind and understanding, and her speech was also quite heartwarming. Although in reality she was quite shy and also she was said that she never taste of how being a normal girl ie ordinary one here. Oh, and she came from rich family by the way. Her seiyuu was Isshiki Hikaru (aka Tanaka Ryouko) who voiced Sakaki Yumiko (Another rich girl) from Grisaia franchise, Narukana from Seinarukana, Neon Schalar Smilja from Gahkthun, Kurugaya Yuiko from Little Busters, Hinaori Kagome from Comyu, and Kawahara Sakuya from I/O.

2. Fujikawa Runa

26582.jpg

One of Yuma childhood friend who was a year behind him. She was study very hard in order to enter Yuma's school and apparently quite energetic one. Oh, and by the way she was secretly love Yuma or something like that (It's given though), and most importantly want to be seen as an adult woman. Momoi Ichigo was the one who provide voice for her, who in turn also voiced Akita Momoko from Aoishiro, Lacrille from Madou Koukaku, and Dorothy Davenport aka DD from Chrono Clock (At least there'll be no Engrish from Runa this time I assure).

3. Tsukishima Kyou

26583.jpg

One of Yuma's new classmate, and quite energetic at that. She was also apparently quite athletic, most likely because she was participated in girls basketball club in the past and the ace player to boot (She was quitted from the club though). Nowadays, she was work at her family pizzeria. Her goal was to make her pizzeria the most successful one, and therefore she take her job at pizzeria very seriously. The voice for here was Natsuno Koori (aka Taguchi Hiroko) who voiced Suou Amane (Had same background in regard of basketball) from Grisaia franchise, Yarai Miu from Dracu Riot, Masamune Shizuru from Noble Works, Kagami Sumika from Muv Luv franchise, Hinata Natsumi from Sharin no Kuni, and Kitsuki Riho from Koi Suru Natsu no Last Resort.

4. Tokizaki Maya

26584.jpg

Another Yuma's classmate, and unlike Kyou she was quite opposite (Kuudere). She was apparently had bad reputation from skipping class a lot. She was quite famous child actress in the past, and she was quit after her last movie was flop because according to in-game review the movie was quite hard to understand by child. Oh, and she was like to tease Yuma quite a lot. Her voice was Sakurai Harumi, who voiced Takamori Haruka at Beat Blade Haruka, Kanemoto Akari at Noble Works, Tokido Saya at Little Busters, Yayoi B. Lutwidge at Hapymaher, and Lily at Himegari.

5. Morino Yukino

26581.jpg

Another Yuma's childhood friend, and at same age as Yuma this time. As his childhood friend, she was obviously the closest to Yuma at the story beginning and Yuma's mother was quite close with Yukino. She was also quite fast befriended Kyou the moment they were met from the first time. Oh, and she was also vice chairman for the cafeteria committee. Her voice was Ogura Yui, who voiced Himiko from Eiyuu Senki, Inaba Yui from Flyable Heart, Yanagise Eika from Ikikoi, Wakatsuki Kagami from Subahibi, Nanase Rio from Imouto Paradise, and Maple from Nekopara.

By the way, each heroines were had image song although only two of the heroines were had their individual ending song though (Runa and Maya).

That's all for the heroines and review in regard of HatsuKoi. You could use this thread as discussion thread by the way. Have fun for discussing HatsuKoi here, and find out whether it's good or not by yourself.

Im sorry to be that guy, but is english your main language?

32 minutes ago, exaccuss said:

Im sorry to be that guy, but is english your main language?

Quite embarassing to answer here to be honest, but my answer here is not. English was not my main language here, so excuse my mistake there (Which is a lot). I'll try to edit it later if you feel bothered by that.

4 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Really? If so, that would smell a bit fishy to be honest. Either they worked with almost inhuman speed, or they used... other means to get it done so fast.

like, slaves?

really the main tler for this title loves to tl, so ive heard. no joke, heard he'll tl for hours and getting numerous lines done in the process. the guys a monster. :marie:

5 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Wow, the first translated title from Tone Work's. That's quite impressive, I'll certainly give it a try. :Chocola:

from what i´ve got from /vn both have pretty much been in the process of non-stop translating (8h+ each day), editing and fighting technical shenanigans for about 17weeks, so yeah, whilst stuff might seem "a little" unorthodox at first glance, in reality it all comes down to the size of ones inner masochist. ̶n̶̶e̶̶u̶̶r̶̶o̶̶c̶̶i̶̶l̶̶ ̶&̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶l̶̶d̶̶o̶̶l̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶e̶̶s̶̶t̶

1 hour ago, mitchhamilton said:

like, slaves?

Like machine translation for example. It wouldn't be the first time.

Though the last thing I heard from another source was that the translator had originally translated the title in VNR over a year (whatever that means), and the 3 - 4 months were just porting the script to an official patch.

No idea what's true though, as long as the translation is fine I don't really care.

Though if he's really that good he might think about knocking on MangaGamer's or Sekai's door. They would surely have use for such a gifted translator.

Edited by ChaosRaven

At least it is not machine translated :), you will notice yourself when you read it. I do believe that triplicate (the translator) is just enjoying his hobby (translating).And yep I also thought they might should try to get in touch with MG ^^.

Edited by Tatanka82

5 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Quite embarassing to answer here to be honest, but my answer here is not. English was not my main language here, so excuse my mistake there (Which is a lot). I'll try to edit it later if you feel bothered by that.

I didnt mean to be rude, i apologize if you read it that way. I will admit grammar mistakes do irritate me quite a bit, but i did get the general gist of what you were trying to summarize. 

5 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Like machine translation for example. It wouldn't be the first time.

Though the last thing I heard from another source was that the translator had originally translated the title in VNR over a year (whatever that means), and the 3 - 4 months were just porting the script to an official patch.

No idea what's true though, as long as the translation is fine I don't really care.

Though if he's really that good he might think about knocking on MangaGamer's or Sekai's door. They would surely have use for such a gifted translator.

That is not what happened. The person who contributed VNR subs is completely different. The patch that was released was done from scratch in 17 weeks.

The translator, Triplicate, is a natural bilingual, being (I believe) a Japanese American. This gives him a solid understanding of both languages and making it so he doesn't have to constantly look up words. He also worked on this patch at 6 - 8 hours a day, a frankly unreasonable amount of time to spend on translation. 

At the end of the day, though, translation speed isn't the best measure of a translator's ability, and understanding a language doesn't mean that you're talented at writing in it. The Hatsukoi 1/1 translation is honestly pretty rough from an English prose standpoint. The language is very stilted and unnatural, and is worse than your average MangaGamer or Sekai Project script if you're comparing him to them. This is something the translator himself admitted on his blog, he says he got better as he worked on the translation, and the later routes are better written than the earlier ones, and he also eventually wants to go back and redo the first few routes he translated. I know that feeling all too well.

Edited by Decay

13 hours ago, exaccuss said:

I didnt mean to be rude, i apologize if you read it that way. I will admit grammar mistakes do irritate me quite a bit, but i did get the general gist of what you were trying to summarize. 

Well, no problem here.

Edited by littleshogun

read the game for 1 hours and i have something in mind:

What to do with the smart phone thingy? you can view photos,take photos, view contact and mail..... Is there a point on using that?

also why the school doesnt have a technician or something?

also its too early for me to vote on the poll yet.

Edited by wyldstrykr

This VN was ok, but a big TL error I see is the use of a non word "inputted". It should be "entered" in most if not all cases. I don't know how the editor did not catch this. I guess that is what happens when you have non native English speakers doing the TL and editing.

Edited by Erogamer

Had a quick look at the script, and "inputted" appears exactly five times throughout the entire VN. You might not like the usage but it's most definitely not wrong.

Also, while it is correct that my native language isn't English, Triplicate's most definitely is. He's Japanese American like Decay said, and has been speaking Japanese and English from a very young age.

Edited by Irru

Has anyone gotten the DMM version of the game to work, either standalone or with a patch? I bought, downloaded, and unzipped it successfully, and I'm running with Japanese system locale for non-Unicode programs, but if I run just the game, it gives me this nastygram, which I'm pretty certain is telling me I should be running the whole OS in Japanese... which I can't imagine all you folks are doing because I've tried it once before and it's annoying:

---------------------------
日本語版Windows判定
This Game is Japan Only

このゲームは日本国内でのみプレイ可能です。

動作させるには 『 日本語版Windows 』 が必要です。

ゲームを終了します。

OK   

Meanwhile, if I try copying over the patch files and running launcher.exe, I get these two delights (and god only knows which version of the CRT it wants...):

Launcher.exe - System Error
The program can't start because MSVCP100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
OK   

Launcher.exe - System Error
The program can't start because MSVCR100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
OK