Trying to make VNR functional again

Some of you already noticed, but VNR server is down so you can't download subtitles other users uploaded nor upload your own. Messing around with VNR files, I found the file of the shared dictionary on the following path: Visual Novel Reader\Caches\Sync. I have this file containing subtitles uploaded up to november/2016. Putting it on that folder, you'll not need to connect to the server to access it. (I read the VNR license and it says it's okay to redistribute its files):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5bop10t7y0cg22s/gamedic.xml

The second problem is that lots of people can't seem to add new terms to this file. But since it's a XML file, I think you can edit it with Visual Studio. I didn't test it yet, since I have limited knowledge of programming, but I'm planning to try it next week or so. But if someone more experienced want to help me, I'll be glad!

And lastly, user Lefterstein and I discovered where the user subtitles (not only terms) are located and they seem to work exactly like the terms file. If one person have the full subtitle file for a game (they are separated by game), then another person download it and put it in this folder Visual Novel Reader\Caches\Subtitles\xml, it will work perfectly, not needing to download it off the server. They seem a lot harder to edit than the terms file, but I'm not experienced enough to judge. Unfortunately, this still don't resolve the problem to create new subtitles from scratch, for a game that have none.

But this seems a good alternative to retrieve fan translations that aren't patched directly in the game, like Cage-Open- (https://vndb.org/v10694) or Sakuya (https://vndb.org/v13035). It's so sad that some of them are lost because of the servers. So guys, check the aforementioned folder and look which subtitles you have. Maybe we could share with other users these files so everyone can play these games without using machine translations.

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by MaggieROBOT

1 hour ago, mitchhamilton said:

i just use ithvnr. :rimu: or chitrans.

Problem is, none of those let you add your own subtitles. I'm trying to help people that want to translate the games without making patches and such (that are a pain for some engines). We have those options for just machine translation, sure, but none of those have this feature.

Waiting for MangaGamer or JAST to translate stuff is not exactly the best option...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, amaiannie said:

My VNR doesn't even find any text in any game, is it the same with you? I don't mind not having translated subtitles, but I really want to be able to hook text from emulated games :( Is it often that the servers are down for this long?

Oh, this is kinda easy to fix (if this is what I think it is)! If it is a normal PC game, then select UTF-16 in the text encoding option (in the menu in the left side of the novel, click menu then text settings). All the novels that I played with VNR until now were encoded in UTF-16, but VNR back in the working days select it automatically. Now you have to select it yourself. If UTF-16 doesn't work, try UTF-8.

And if this is a emulated PSP or PS2 game, check if the game is compatible with VNR. And if the emulator is compatible. I noticed that the newer versions of PPSSPP (for PSP), I think anything after 1.1.0, doesn't work properly with VNR, so you can try a different version. Then select UTF-16 like I said before.

And some notes, I'm reeeeeeeealy busy in rl lately, so I didn't start with the files yet... I'm planning to giving it a go this weekend.

38 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Oh, this is kinda easy to fix (if this is what I think it is)! If it is a normal PC game, then select UTF-16 in the text encoding option (in the menu in the left side of the novel, click menu then text settings). All the novels that I played with VNR until now were encoded in UTF-16, but VNR back in the working days select it automatically. Now you have to select it yourself. If UTF-16 doesn't work, try UTF-8.

And if this is a emulated PSP or PS2 game, check if the game is compatible with VNR. And if the emulator is compatible. I noticed that the newer versions of PPSSPP (for PSP), I think anything after 1.1.0, doesn't work properly with VNR, so you can try a different version. Then select UTF-16 like I said before.

And some notes, I'm reeeeeeeealy busy in rl lately, so I didn't start with the files yet... I'm planning to giving it a go this weekend.

Thank you, I'll definitely try what you suggested regarding the PSP games (which are compatible yes!)! I'll edit this afterwards and let you know!:D

I am now the happiest person alive :wafuu:

I haven't actually tested if VNReader will accept new entries yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't.  You can easily open and edit the xml with this free software http://www.firstobject.com/dn_editor.htm After opening the file you will want to click 'Tools' then 'Indent' to make it more readable. Otherwise it's just an unreadable cluster of text.

Below is a random entry I copied from the gamedic.xml file.

<term id="152974" type="output">
<gameId>33067</gameId>
<userId>4</userId>
<userHash>1982435318</userHash>
<sourceLanguage>ja</sourceLanguage>
<language>ko</language>
<timestamp>1446214815</timestamp>
<updateTimestamp>1446307178</updateTimestamp>
<updateUserId>3422</updateUserId>
<hentai>true</hentai>
<special>true</special>
<pattern>해신</pattern>
<text>카이신</text>
<comment>name</comment>
</term>

I'm no expert programmer so most of what I'm gonna say is just guess work from me.  For each new entry you want to add you'll essentially need to make a modified version of one of these.

term id -  you will want a number that isn't being used by another entry. The highest number entry in my xml file is 214368 so I will be using numbers higher than this one. Just scroll to the last entry to see what the highest id is in your xml file.

type - if you go to create a new shared dictionary term in VNReader you will see all the different types you can use for type. trans for translation.  For the rest just type in the actual word for the type you want.

gameId - this is where I've run into some issues. You can't make the entry work on a specific game only as the gameId is on the now dead vnreader servers. I believe if you just remove this line of code it will apply the translation to all games.

userId - I believe you can just leave this entry alone. From what I've seen all terms have this entry so I don't know if there will be issues if you remove this line of code. It just represents the user that originally submitted the entry to the shared dictionary.

userHash - This line of code is unnecessary so you can just remove it.

sourceLanguage - The language the VN you are reading is. Don't write the full language name. If you go to text settings in VNReader for the VN you are reading and click down on the 'Game language' option you will see the shortened text you use for each of the languages.

language - Same as above except the language you are translating to instead Read above entry for language entries.

timestamp - From what I can tell all entries have this line of code so just leave it at whatever it is. I don't know if removing this line of code will cause issues.

updateTimestamp - This line of code is unnecessary so you can just remove it.

updateUserId - This line of code is also unnecessary so you can just remove it.

hentai - I have no idea how this line affects anything. It isn't a required line of code so you can remove it. I believe it somehow relates to the 'Enable hentai translation rules for H-scene' in the shared dictionary preferences.

special - I'm not sure what this is for. There are other entries without this line of code so you should be fine removing it.

pattern - This is the actual text you are looking to translate. So whatever word/name/etc you are looking to translate put here.

text - This is what your pattern will be translated to. So put your translation here.

comment - This just adds a comment in the shared dictionary. This line of code is unnecessary so you can just remove it.

host - Not shown in the above code, but this is used if you want only a specific machine translator to be affected by your added translation entry. Such as using <host>google</host> would cause the translation to only affect the google translator for VNReader.

context - Not a required line of code and will default to all if you don't use the code. It can otherwise be set to dialog, name, window, or other. It causes the translation to occur only under certain contexts. As to how VNReader goes about this I have no idea.

private - Not a required line of code but it can be made true by putting <private>true</private>. I'm not sure if this has any use with VNReader being in its current state, but I figured I would mention that it is a possible line of code that may be useful for some reason or another.

Make sure all new entries you add have the </term> at the end of them otherwise issues will occur. If anyone else can figure out anything else it would be much appreciated.

VNR is back online guys, more about it here: https://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/17714-vnr-is-back-online/

Buuut it's always nice to have a backup plan. Who knows when it will go offline again. So, I looked at this gamedict.xml (Thank you @Codesterz for the tips!) and I figured out more stuff!

6 hours ago, Codesterz said:

gameId - this is where I've run into some issues. You can't make the entry work on a specific game only as the gameId is on the now dead vnreader servers. I believe if you just remove this line of code it will apply the translation to all games.

userId - I believe you can just leave this entry alone. From what I've seen all terms have this entry so I don't know if there will be issues if you remove this line of code. It just represents the user that originally submitted the entry to the shared dictionary.

special - I'm not sure what this is for. There are other entries without this line of code so you should be fine removing it.

For userId, you can use the number "4". I think that is the Id for guest, so you will not put it under another person's ID.

special is marked as true when the term is a "series specific" term.

And for gameId, you can check it in the VNR dict. Even if it's not working/connected, the unsaved entry will be there, along with your gameId. Just copy it and put in the code!

But seriously, I hope we don't need to do this anymore! XD

Edited by MaggieROBOT

It's finally up again!!! 

Aghh my VNR doesn't recognize the emulated visual novel as a game, but only as "PPSSPPWindows.exe", does anyone know how to fix this?  I can't synchronize any game settings :( 

I've been trying to play Uta no Prince-sama Repeat for ages but it still doesn't hook any text (only the names, repeated infinitely), and it supposedly works with VNR too! :vinty:

20 hours ago, amaiannie said:

It's finally up again!!! 

Aghh my VNR doesn't recognize the emulated visual novel as a game, but only as "PPSSPPWindows.exe", does anyone know how to fix this?  I can't synchronize any game settings :( 

I've been trying to play Uta no Prince-sama Repeat for ages but it still doesn't hook any text (only the names, repeated infinitely), and it supposedly works with VNR too! :vinty:

Actually, VNR never recognize emulated visual novels as games, only as "emulator.exe". So, nothing we can do to change that.

And about the text, play the game until you reach some dialogue, then in the menu in the left side of the novel, click menu then text settings and check what box is marked as "dialog". If it is one that only contain character names, mark the one with the right text with "dialog" and the rest as "ignore".

Also, check the second option in the top of this window "Eliminate infinite repetition..." or the third option "Ignore infinite cyclic repetition", and then save the changes in the blue "SAVE" button in the top left to erase those repetitions.

37 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Actually, VNR never recognize emulated visual novels as games, only as "emulator.exe". So, nothing we can do to change that.

And about the text, play the game until you reach some dialogue, then in the menu in the left side of the novel, click menu then text settings and check what box is marked as "dialog". If it is one that only contain character names, mark the one with the right text with "dialog" and the rest as "ignore".

Also, check the second option in the top of this window "Eliminate infinite repetition..." or the third option "Ignore infinite cyclic repetition", and then save the changes in the blue "SAVE" button in the top left to erase those repetitions.

Ohhh so that's why! Sorry!

And yes I've been doing just that but to no avail... maybe it's not compatible anymore, it only seems to hook with Cheat Engine and I can't get HAT to work so it's pretty  troublesome! Thank you for replying!:D

Hello. I'm the creator of a new server and the current developer VNR. And I'm sad to see that you have an outdated version of the VNR. This is new: https://yadi.sk/d/cF7m_e_l3JbfUD

1) VNR now remembers window pos for separate words translation in translation window. The one that shows up when you hover your mouse over any single word in original Japanese string output (if you have original text extraction turned on at all, that is). You can now drag-n-drop it anywhere you want, and it'll stay there. Just turn off auto-hide for convenience's sake.

2) Added search field for the word translation window from #1. To keep dictionary windows jiggling at minimum.

3) Target translation language for machine translators can now be set separately from user subtitles language. Can be done from "Account" option in Preferences, requiers VNR restart.

4) Fixed broken since time immemorial languages turning on/off feature in i18n. Languages now can be turned back on without manual tampering with your registry.

Once you have downloaded the new version, you are obliged to pray to the goddesses Yami and Kuroneko XD

The latest versions appear in our chat: https://discordapp.com/channels/265464443800911872/265481357214351360
P.S. Sorry for my English :D

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kiabee21 said:

Quick question but i dont know thats wrong but , VNR doesnt copy game text now from the game MAJIKOI , it used to work but it doesnt anymore.

Did you look at the text threads option? Choose "UTF-16" instead of "Japanese-whatever-it-is". Or the other way around, if "UTF-16" is already selected.

On 6/24/2017 at 9:41 PM, MaggieROBOT said:

Did you look at the text threads option? Choose "UTF-16" instead of "Japanese-whatever-it-is". Or the other way around, if "UTF-16" is already selected.

I did that and it doesnt work , the text box is not showing , and i tried using it on Majikoi A4 and it works with text box and everything , A5 its not working.

15 hours ago, kiabee21 said:

I did that and it doesnt work , the text box is not showing , and i tried using it on Majikoi A4 and it works with text box and everything , A5 its not working.

Well, I'll put the solution I found when this happened to me before, but keep in mind that it was with a completely different game, so it's not guaranteed that will work with Majikoi.

In the text preferences screen, see those boxes with japanese characters? Advance the text in the game until you find one with exactly the same text as the game. Mark that box as "dialog" and then select the first choice at the top of this window "Keep all text threads...". VNR will give you a warning, but you're free to ignore. Save your changes and leave this window. Advance the text or reload your save file and VNR (hopefully) will display your subs.

5 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Well, I'll put the solution I found when this happened to me before, but keep in mind that it was with a completely different game, so it's not guaranteed that will work with Majikoi.

In the text preferences screen, see those boxes with japanese characters? Advance the text in the game until you find one with exactly the same text as the game. Mark that box as "dialog" and then select the first choice at the top of this window "Keep all text threads...". VNR will give you a warning, but you're free to ignore. Save your changes and leave this window. Advance the text or reload your save file and VNR (hopefully) will display your subs.

I got it working thanks thou , i just had to choose  which text threads i should use.

Edited by kiabee21

• 7 months later...

I don't know if this discussion is still open, but I'm having issues getting the subtitle box to even show up playing Black Wolves Saga.  I can get subtitles to show up on another game, but not this one.  The dialog boxes in the text preferences menu is empty, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.