I'm hoping there are VNs like this, with memory transfers from routes

So I'm in the middle of playing Rewrite, but I thought I'd ask so I could line up another VN for after.

I really liked the zero escape series. The thing I loved most was that things you did in other routes, the MC actually rememebered them. Are there any other VNs like that out there? Where the memories of what happened in one route transfers over to the next route, letting you either progress or get a better ending?

It's just always felt weird that when you have to sometimes play through one route to unlock another route, new options appear in the second route that weren't there until you beat the first route. However in "reality", your MC didn't do anything different, nor did he remember anything from the other routes. Somehow that new choice is simply there without any explanation as to why.

Sooo anyway... Are there any good VNs out there with memories that can be transferred from route to route?

I don't want to say more to avoid spoilers (not sure if you've read it or not), but I'm also not really aware of other VNs with this kind of plot point which is a real shame. It's such an interesting idea, and it helps give a sense of weight to routes I otherwise wouldn't care about in the slightest.

Technically, in Rewrite he doesn't remember them, but ok. If you're interested on yaoi/bara, No, Thank You!!! has a very cool system: once you finish a route and replay the game, more information is added to the common route to go deeper into the story.

Also, in Clannad all routes are connected since they open the True Ending when all of them are over. The Infinity Series also have something like that, maybe, but I think the one you should really go into is Steins;Gate, as the whole plot involves the MC going through some time/space travel in order to reach its goal, and he really lives/remembers everything that happens during them.

1 hour ago, Silvz said:

Technically, in Rewrite he doesn't remember them, but ok. If you're interested on yaoi/bara, No, Thank You!!! has a very cool system: once you finish a route and replay the game, more information is added to the common route to go deeper into the story.

Also, in Clannad all routes are connected since they open the True Ending when all of them are over. The Infinity Series also have something like that, maybe, but I think the one you should really go into is Steins;Gate, as the whole plot involves the MC going through some time/space travel in order to reach its goal, and he really lives/remembers everything that happens during them.

Huh?.... But I never said anything about him remembering anything in Rewrite. I just said I'm in the middle of playing it.

Anywho, yeah Steins;Gate was one of the first VNs I played. Unfortunately, while he definitely goes through time loops and what not, none of what happens in other routes actually transfers over.

As for Clannad, it's one of my favorite anime. Unfortunately that means I've watched it a ton of times, so I don't think it'd be very interesting to play through the VN. I was considering playing the prequel or the Tomoya(o?) After one, but with no Nagisa, there's no life.  Also, while playing through all the other routes does in fact unlock the true route, that doesn't mean he remembers the other routes, right? To be honest I'm not sure myself, as in the anime he kind of does..? maybe? at the end? I'm not sure. But either way I think it'd be hard to enjoy the VN completely if I've already watched the anime over and over.

Lastly the Infinity series, I finished Never 7 and I stopped in the middle of Ever 17 because another VN caught my interest. I'll definitely get back into it though. Unfortunately Never 7 didn't have what I'm talking about. By that I mean the whole remembering other routes. Maybe the other two do though (ever 17 and Remember..11 i think?)

Floral Flowlove, in the true path.

Hapymaher (in the Alice path)

Dekinai Watashi ga Kurikaesu

Tiny Dungeon series (in the fourth game, the protagonist remembers all the events of the previous three games)

Tsuisou no Augment (protagonist continually commits suicide in order to turn back time to bring about a happy ending)

Houkago no Futekikakusha (not really memories... a notebook)

1 hour ago, Clephas said:

Tiny Dungeon series (in the fourth game, the protagonist remembers all the events of the previous three games)

Tsuisou no Augment (protagonist continually commits suicide in order to turn back time to bring about a happy ending)

awesome thank you! Could you by chance give me a link to the tiny dungeon series? The fact that there are four games sounds promising, as long as they're good. Not to be a begging chooser, but I kind of wish you didn't explain the gist of each one of those.. Ungrateful I know..

EDIT: Oh also, are all these games in english? Does that include all four games in the tiny dungeon series? Still trying to figure out where I get visual novels, as they kind of seem to be scattered on the net.

Edited by mavsynchroid

5 minutes ago, mavsynchroid said:

awesome thank you! Could you by chance give me a link to the tiny dungeon series? The fact that there are four games sounds promising, as long as they're good. Not to be a begging chooser, but I kind of wish you didn't explain the gist of each one of those.. Ungrateful I know..

EDIT: Oh also, are all these games in english? Does that include all four games in the tiny dungeon series? Still trying to figure out where I get visual novels, as they kind of seem to be scattered on the net.

It is a given that almost none of the recommendations I make will be translated.  Also, asking for links to game downloads here is against the forum rules.

Just now, Clephas said:

It is a given that almost none of the recommendations I make will be translated.  Also, asking for links to game downloads here is against the forum rules.

Hrmmmmm don't recall asking for any links. As for the recommendations... are most people here able to read Japanese?

There's a easier choice actually, and quite popular at that. It was When They Cry series, which consist of two VNs (Higurashi and Umineko) and each VNs consist of 8 chapters. There's also Little Busters at the true route (Refrain), although the character who remember wasn't MC though. By the way, those VNs were translated.

PS - I think the term that you interested here would be Time Loop when MC always remember some events from the another timeline.

PPS - I think some user here could read Japan to some extend.

Edited by littleshogun

Muv luv alternative could fit too.

As for japaneese readers, there are some around here but it's not the majority.

When baldr sky dive 1/2 release in english, be sure to play it, it's awesome and kinda fit your request to an extent in the true route.

Edited by Tweek91330

12 hours ago, Clephas said:

I'll go ahead and link the "Time Loop" VNDB tag.

I'll also recommend the top title on that list:   3days ~満ちてゆく刻の彼方で~

You can also try Anonono. ~Kimi to Sugoshita Ano Hi Ano Toki Ano Mirai~ for a slightly different variety of time loop game...