Do you listen to VN's Background Music or Mute it?

I've never completely turned off the bgm of a vn, I do in some cases as other have said turn it down a notch because it tends to be set to make you go deaf by default for some reason. :meguface:

In my opinion music is quite an important part and in some cases the best one, it more often than not helps with immersion and the overall experience.

Edited by DarkZedge

So, there actually is a person like that? Can't say I'm surprised.

Anyway, I always leave music on. Well, I think I would turn it off if it irritated me too much, but to this point I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do it even once. Actually, for me music is one of the best ways to set the mood for a scene, and, I believe, VNs are the only form of written media that actually do it. I guess, in the end the fact that they do that is one of the reasons I even read VNs in the first place.

Also, music is the only reason while I'm hyped for Hapymaher, even though the art makes it seem like another moe crap.

Edited by Dreamysyu

On 5/3/2017 at 10:31 AM, Darklord Rooke said:

I often play VNs without the sound.

now I understand why you have wrong opinions about Fata Morgana

Jokes aside, yeah, I'd NEVER do this. In fact, the presence of music is one of the reasons I find VNs (and games!) more enjoyable and approachable than actual novels nowadays.

On 02/05/2017 at 8:50 PM, Akimoto Masato said:

I'm shooting the person who does this

Shit.

To be honest, I don't do this much. I used to do it in the early days

Spoiler

There's nothing like jamming this while banging Emi in Katawa Shoujo

But most of the time nowadays I do listen to the music. I doubt my appreciation of the Amane route in Grisaia would have been the same without it.

2 minutes ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

Shit.

Hide contents

But most of the time nowadays I do listen to the music. I doubt my appreciation of the Amane route in Grisaia would have been the same without it.

Lovely 

3 minutes ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

Shit.

Reveal hidden contents

That's probably why I hated her route. I should say the route itself is solid but her re-telling of the accident drags on at a snails pace which makes it no matter how interesting it might be, just painful to drag yourself through.

44 minutes ago, Thatcomicguy said:

That's probably why I hated her route. I should say the route itself is solid but her re-telling of the accident drags on at a snails pace which makes it no matter how interesting it might be, just painful to drag yourself through.

That was what made it so interesting for me, to be honest. I think if you could get through it in 15 minutes it wouldn't have had nearly the same crushing effect of time on me, and the repeated music actually added to it.

Nearly any other scenario wouldn't have worked like that, however.

6 minutes ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

That was what made it so interesting for me, to be honest. I think if you could get through it in 15 minutes it wouldn't have had nearly the same crushing effect of time on me, and the repeated music actually added to it.

Nearly any other scenario wouldn't have worked like that, however.

As  we where learning this the same way Yuuji was by reading her diary for me it came across as unnatural how she remember all of even the smallest details and some things she wasn't even there to know,  kinda took you out of it. Say if they shorten each day's events and still told the whole two weeks or trimming the fat so to speak like skipping a day that wasn't really necessary. Would of made the pacing flow a lot more naturally.

• 3 weeks later...

Always read with sound. Especially for VNs with amazing osts like Tsukihime. Though I think muting voices might be my preference. I think the worst soundtrack I've ever run into in a VN was Dra+Koi (which is a fantastic short VN btw), but even then I just turned it way low so it was more background and less music, haha. Reading in silence isn't good, and I don't trust anyone but the game-maker to pick music with quality enough timing and fit for the story. Like, I can't imagine listening to some random bgm that I like even though it doesn't match up... That's very weird to me.

Edited by arakura