Rei Ayanami

Vorathiel

You know her, best girl in anime ever.
rei-ayanami-also-know-as-the-best-girl-i

Just look at her. Typical cold, dsitant, silent character right? Well... yes and no.

I read quite a few vns now (translated only) and I must say...that I probably never met a character similiar to Rei.
What I mean by that:
- Silent
- Distant
- Cold
- Uninterested
- Replaying with short asnwers
- Not engaging in any social activities
etc.

Seems quite easy to find a girl like that in vns, right?
No.
The problem is, that when a character have traits as listed above, she is usually also:
- With a resting bitchface
- Angered
- Hidden tsundere
- Yearning for some fun
- Telling people to 'die', when they approach her
etc. Examples of this:

Momono Shiori, from 11eyes
3202.jpg

Sannomiya Louise Yui, from Root Double
18304.jpg

Komachi Tsugumi, from Ever 17
64.jpg

or even Toudou Makoto, from Hanahira
12531.jpg

I'm looking for more cold, more distant and more taciturn characters. Closest to what I want are Kiryiu Moeka from Steins;Gate, but she don't have her route and I just don't like her, and Byakuya Rinne from euphoria, but those who read it (I highly recommend!) knows what kind of mindfuckery her route is.
Anybody have any ideas? This should be a route having heroine, not some minor character.

EDIT:
How could I forget about m yfavourite heroine from Muv-Luv Extra, Ayamine Kei? She's almost perfect in the ReiAyanamism.

Edited by Vorathiel

Mmm... the problem is that heroines that seem taciturn on first glance in VNs are almost always hidden deredere heroines... heroines that remain distant and taciturn are pretty much unknown.

I've come across heroines that are emotionless but appear to be emotional on the surface, but that isn't what you want...

Suzu from Kono Sekai no Mukou de seems to be that type, but she changes radically on her own path...

The point is, you can't really have "emotioneless heroines", because such beings simply don't exist. In real life, certain character traits are typically either masked by or reinforced by different factors - typically personalities people are born with and life experience. People who are silent and taciturn are generally introverted loners, who aren't negatively affected by lack of constant contact with other humans; they live in their own worlds and rarely care for others more than required... unless it's someone they really do care about much. Likewise, it does not necesarilly mean they avoid human contact; most often, they're just indifferent and don't require it as much as extroverts, who basically depend on others.

You propably won't find a heroine like that, because most writers create heroines, who simply hide their emotions out of various reasons. A person you described simply wouldn't be human and that's propably the closest hint you can get.

I've essentially given up on trying to find a heroine like that, and settled for ones such as you listed. They aren't as good, but I can still greatly enjoy interacting with them nonetheless.

4 hours ago, Clephas said:

Mmm... the problem is that heroines that seem taciturn on first glance in VNs are almost always hidden deredere heroines... heroines that remain distant and taciturn are pretty much unknown.

I've come across heroines that are emotionless but appear to be emotional on the surface, but that isn't what you want...

Suzu from Kono Sekai no Mukou de seems to be that type, but she changes radically on her own path...

It's frightening to think that even someone with this many completed VNs under their belt isn't acquainted with such a heroine. Then again, from what I could gather out of reading that one post you made in a thread regarding memorable characters, you don't especially like this kind of archetype, do you?

About Suzu, do you mean that she starts out emotional but as you get to know her closer, you realize she doesn't experience any such thing? Or does her actual personality change in her route?

1 hour ago, Narcosis said:

The point is, you can't really have "emotioneless heroines", because such beings simply don't exist.

Maybe you're right, but neither do catgirls, shinigami or androids exist in the real world, yet there are characters exhibiting these traits present in VNs. Fiction is great because you don't have to be confined by realism. I can easily see a girl being an android used as an excuse to make her emotionless, and truly so—not just someone who suppresses or disregards their emotions. I'm not sure, then, why writers don't create characters like this more.

I suppose it could be because it's hard to make a story, especially a romantic one, interesting with such a character. If they don't show any interest towards the protagonist, don't grow (i.e. garner interest towards or fall in love with the MC) as the route progresses, I'm not sure what there is to narrate about. It could probably work well for some other types of stories, but nonetheless remain hard to include a route for this kind of character.

ayamine kei is probably based on her (speaking about personality), in fact even the names are similar lol

https://vndb.org/c123

ayase is like that

https://vndb.org/c4658

setsumi from narcissu kinda fits too

akane from one (sadly this vn is almost unreadable thanks to the awful main character)  

https://vndb.org/c4765 

Edited by Deep Blue

6 hours ago, Barktooth said:

Maybe you're right, but neither do catgirls, shinigami or androids exist in the real world, yet there are characters exhibiting these traits present in VNs. Fiction is great because you don't have to be confined by realism. I can easily see a girl being an android used as an excuse to make her emotionless, and truly so—not just someone who suppresses or disregards their emotions. I'm not sure, then, why writers don't create characters like this more.

Yes, but stories are made by human beings, and they make the characters out of things they know. Of course we could have androids without a flinch of emotion in them but... would that really be enjoyable ? Would you, personally, fall in love with a woman that can't express any feeling ? I can understand the attraction of a introvert woman who doesn't really express her emotions, but I think (maybe I'm wrong) that a lot of you wouldn't actually like it if there were more characters like that in VNs. Maybe you'd find the idea appealing the first few times, maybe you'd like the characters depicted in the first few hours... but I think at some point you would want them to have feelings, to express them, you would be irritated about their nonchalant act in EVERY circumstance. Because the very reason this kind of character is so liked in VNs or animes is actually because they express feeling at some point, and their introvert nature makes it only more enjoyable when they admit they're actually soft or kind inside.

But maybe that's just my own preferences I'm talking about in this post. I just see this kind of character a way to climax them into lots of feelings, or at least some feelings that would be more important than the explosion of feelings you see with other characters, exactly because these ones didn't show any before. A character not having feelings or not showing them at all until the very end would feel like a masturbation without any climax for me. Fun all along, okay, but mostly frustrating and irritating at the end, making the whole thing seem pointless and annoying.

6 hours ago, Barktooth said:

I've essentially given up on trying to find a heroine like that, and settled for ones such as you listed. They aren't as good, but I can still greatly enjoy interacting with them nonetheless.

It's frightening to think that even someone with this many completed VNs under their belt isn't acquainted with such a heroine. Then again, from what I could gather out of reading that one post you made in a thread regarding memorable characters, you don't especially like this kind of archetype, do you?

About Suzu, do you mean that she starts out emotional but as you get to know her closer, you realize she doesn't experience any such thing? Or does her actual personality change in her route?

I suppose it could be because it's hard to make a story, especially a romantic one, interesting with such a character. If they don't show any interest towards the protagonist, don't grow (i.e. garner interest towards or fall in love with the MC) as the route progresses, I'm not sure what there is to narrate about. It could probably work well for some other types of stories, but nonetheless remain hard to include a route for this kind of character.

Her manner is similar to Ayanami's.  She only speaks when she wants something and basically almost never shows her emotions.

Also... Ruri and Ruka from Akeiro Kaikitan don't show their emotions on their faces, except at the last of the VN.

Eru from Hello, Lady has only weak emotions and everything she shows on the surface (save for her otakuism) is emulated from those around her and constructed into a false persona she presents to most people around her.

Mei, the true heroine of Devils Devel Concept is emotionless on the surface and her rational self is completely detached from her emotional self except near the end of her path.

Kaede from Akagoei 3 only displays emotion toward those few people she considers precious to herself, and the rest of the time, she splits everyone into 'person to be killed' and 'person not be be killed, yet'. 

Donoko from Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no only shows personality and emotion to those she trusts, the rest of the time living with an unfocused, emotionless expression on her face, essentially ignoring the rest of humanity.

Not a heroine, but Serika, the protagonist of the Ikusa Megami series, has almost no emotions much of the time due to the pressure of being a human soul inhabiting the body of a goddess.  His occasional emotional moments tend to come from the rare instances where he forms a strong attachment to someone.

Kokonoe Hatae is an extremely self-controlled girl who only begins to experience emotion after encountering the protagonist of Konata yori Kanata made

Ein from Phantom (the Nitroplus VN) has had her emotions mostly destroyed by the extensive brainwashing the good doctor put her through.  She almost never displays emotions and kills without hesitation.

Yatabe Miu from Para-sol at least partially fulfills your conditions, though she, like many such heroines, is merely concealing her emotions.

Vivi Alhazerd from Shinigami no Testament has little in the way of emotions due to centuries of living as a near-immortal.

That's about it... and understand that none of these heroines fulfill your request outright.

I tempted to recommend you some anime that had Rei's seiyuu (Hayashibara Megumi). But obviously you weren't search for the anime in the first place here of course, so let me try some recommendation here. As for the character in question, according to TV Trope there's Kyouko Kirigiri from Danganronpa (Which you already played), Vanilla H from Galaxy Angel trilogy, Kishimoto Ayase from Chaos Head (Didn't had the route unfortunately), and Primula from Shuffle. I knew that those characters couldn't fulfill your request enough, but I think you could try to tolerate some unacceptable traits from them. In the end, it's up to you to play those or no.

PS - Actually I could recommend Rewrite here. But knowing you I'm sure that you'll probably thrown too many things at your PC or laptop (Either that or you head-desk too much and you'll suffer some concussion) after seeing Lucia's antic more than necessary (She's violent tsundere by the way, just for the warning). By the way, Kagari didn't appear until very late in Rewrite.

Edited by littleshogun

Well, Rei has a unique background (spoiler alert).

Morishita from Koichoco is a full-throttle kuudere, and while suffering some bad training, she isn't quite the same case as Rei.

Edited by Okarin

6 hours ago, Molipa said:

Yes, but stories are made by human beings, and they make the characters out of things they know. Of course we could have androids without a flinch of emotion in them but... would that really be enjoyable ? Would you, personally, fall in love with a woman that can't express any feeling ? I can understand the attraction of a introvert woman who doesn't really express her emotions, but I think (maybe I'm wrong) that a lot of you wouldn't actually like it if there were more characters like that in VNs. Maybe you'd find the idea appealing the first few times, maybe you'd like the characters depicted in the first few hours... but I think at some point you would want them to have feelings, to express them, you would be irritated about their nonchalant act in EVERY circumstance. Because the very reason this kind of character is so liked in VNs or animes is actually because they express feeling at some point, and their introvert nature makes it only more enjoyable when they admit they're actually soft or kind inside.

You have a good point. I'm not entirely sure whether I would really enjoy such a character or not, although it seems probable to me. I just noticed that I detest it every time an indifferent character mellows out and grows a soft spot for the main character in a VN.

It would probably be irritating if they didn't mirror the MC's feelings at all, but they wouldn't necessarily have to be completely neutral towards him either. For example, an android could like the MC because he is useful for her mission of studying humans, or something to that tune.

7 hours ago, Clephas said:

(Long post)

Thanks for those suggestions. They aren't perfect but a few have really interested me, like Shinigami no Testament.