J-List and their poor handling of VN products

Thatcomicguy

Anyone have trouble from J-list when you've bought VN's from them?

I've bought a few from them but my copies of Shiny Days, My Girlfriend is President and it's fandisk don't even work. I spent days going around in circles with their customer service about the faulty products but they where no help, in the end I eventually managed to get My Girlfriend and it's fandisk to work *without any help from them* and had to download the fan translated version of Shiny Days just to play that. 

Moral of the story avoid J-List when it comes to their digital VN's and only get disk copies off them at least they can't screw up the files in them. 

Edited by Thatcomicguy

I bought a copy of Shuffle from them, and it wasn't detected in my disc drive.  Tried troubleshooting with MangaGamer, and then contacted JList support and asked for a replacement.  They promptly sent one, and that one worked like it was supposed to.  Don't have any complaints, but I've only interacted with them once.

6 hours ago, Thatcomicguy said:

I've bought a few from them but my copies of Shiny Days, My Girlfriend is President and it's fandisk don't even work. I spent days going around in circles with their customer service about the faulty products but they where no help, in the end I eventually managed to get My Girlfriend and it's fandisk to work *without any help from them* and had to download the fan translated version of Shiny Days just to play that. 

Moral of the story avoid J-List when it comes to their digital VN's and only get disk copies off them at least they can't screw up the files in them. 

There is no fan translated version of Shiny Days. What exactly did you download? The scene restoration patch?

Never heard of any widespread problems with those titles except for the MGITP fandisc, which was a total mess on every level and reportedly required Japanese locale to work correctly. Therefore I'd hazard a guess that you're doing something wrong, but JAST support may be to blame as well, since it's their job to make sure you get to run the VNs properly.

Unless you wish to discuss your problems with them in more detail, my answer is: No, I've never had issues with digital releases from JAST/J-List, I managed to run and read everything I bought from them with no issues whatsoever. The only time I had to contact support (to restore my account after a couple of years of inactivity), they got back to me quickly and transferred all purchases to my new account without any problems.

10 hours ago, Thatcomicguy said:

JAST's technical support is more or less their forums.  They're too understaffed to individually troubleshoot problems over private channels.  They've even let major issues slide like taking the official Shiny Days bugfix patch down and expecting users (i.e., ME) to host it somewhere else.  Contacting J-List is useless because they're just distributors; at best they'll forward your mail to JAST.

Edited by sanahtlig

4 hours ago, Decay said:

There is no fan translated version of Shiny Days. What exactly did you download? The scene restoration patch?

Not sure the exact website name off hand I found it listed on the same site you download the translated Majikoi series from and that works fine.

2 hours ago, Ariurotl said:

Unless you wish to discuss your problems with them in more detail,

I bought the digital copy as shipping and border costs would of knocked the overall price from £40 to around £90, I got catch there when I bought the disks for Shuffle. With the link J-list sends you to Jast to download, there were 17 files to download and a data checker to see if everything was downloaded and installed okay. Before I downloaded them I had already turned off my anti-virus and firewall as we all know sometimes they get in the way and switched my system to Japanese Locale. 16 of the 17 installed fine but the very first one kept registering as bad in the data checker and caused the install to think it was install the game from disk, thus making it ask for the second disk to be installed. I deleted and reinstalled it from another computer to see if it was something causing it on my hardware but still the same. I got in touch with J-list and they sent my to Jast themselves and told my to turn off the anti-virus, firewall, have Japanese system locale and if all fails try all steps on another computer. Each step they sent was a separate e-mail so after telling them everytime that I had already done those they simply never got back in touch with me. 

That was the 14th of February, I bought on the 31st of January. I've sent six emails from the 14th till now and haven't heard anything from them and that included checking the junk folder often to see if it was sent there.

6 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

Did you install the latest patches for Osadai or were the discs broken.

It was a digital download for all so they where there for Osadai, the problem with that was when installing both the main game and the fandisk kept installing in the same place despite my directions for them to be in different folders but once I got them into different folders manually they both worked fine.

Never had problem with it in the first place, because I'd never buy from them in the first place. As for Shiny Days, I think it's just the VN itself that had the problem (0verflow VN was quite infamous from being buggy, Makoto and his father infamy aside). So yeah, while I'd never buy any from J-List I think it's depend on the VNs itselfs. That's all that I could say here.

2 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Never had problem with it in the first place, because I'd never buy from them in the first place. As for Shiny Days, I think it's just the VN itself that had the problem (0verflow VN was quite infamous from being buggy, Makoto and his father infamy aside). So yeah, while I'd never buy any from J-List I think it's depend on the VNs itselfs. That's all that I could say here.

If one of the files wasn't the right size then this isn't Overflow's fault.  Also, JAST is the one that created that bizarre 17-part installer.

I do remember having trouble with OsaDai, but I think the solution to the trouble I had was pretty clearly described on the place I bought it. Don't recall any issues with the OsaDai fandisc, and I don't recall issues with anything else I've ever gotten from JAST USA (which I inevitably buy digitally, and which includes at least Steins;Gate and Demonbane playing through completely with no problems), but then again, I never played Shuffle (and don't particularly want to), nor did I play any of the * Days games.

29 minutes ago, Akimoto Masato said:

I buy disk copies from them if possible, but now a days you can literally fuck anything up that has files on, but hey, I'm not complaining all my disks came good and I am semi satisfied not all the way now because of this shit show they put up

I do that when I can from them but shipping various and border costs sometimes make that not worth it when it totals in around double what the product is being sold for.

1 minute ago, Thatcomicguy said:

I do that when I can from them but shipping various and border costs sometimes make that not worth it when it totals in around double what the product is being sold for.

Yea it's not, although money isn't the thing I'm thinking about when I see something I want lol