Root Double is confusing me (Spoilers)

mavsynchroid

I can't stand this way of making decisions...

If I raise the MC's SSS rating during a decision... Is he going to be brave and jump into the fire?... or is he going to be wise and not jump in?...

If someone is disagreeing with the MC but makes a good and rational point, will raising both the MC's and the person who's arguing's bar make the MC accept and admire that decision?.. Will raising only the arguer's bar and dropping the MC's make it so he ignores the arguer and makes a bad choice? Or does it mean he'll back down timidly? Same questions if I raise the MC's bar and drop the arguer's... >_< I'm all for trying something different but this system makes absolutely NO sense, no pun intended.

ANYWAY, now that I've blown off some steam, the real reason why I'm here. I just got the good ending in the "After" story. I haven't even begun the "Before" story because a lot of people told me I should definitely do the "After" story first or I'll be spoiled a lot. The thing I'm confused about though, is that at the end of the "After" story in the good ending, it ends with a big cliff hanger... Doesn't the "Before" story take place BEFORE the "After" story, if that makes sense?

In other words, am I not going to see what happens next in the "After" story"? It might sound silly, but if I get no more information about what happens next in the "After" story, then I really don't want to even bother playing "Before".

Just in case your memory is fuzzy about what happens in the good ending of the "After" story, it ends with the MC and the young man he saved (and most likely shot?) locked inside area N, with the MC's squad mates and the researcher going nuts outside trying to kill him (I'm guessing due to the particles from the machine) and the young man's friend, a girl, slowly bleeding out somewhere  (I've never seen her in the "After" story, though I'm sure she's in the "Before" story)

Anyway, if it's left like that as a cliff hanger even after playing the "Before" story, I don't want to waste my time. Can someone tell me, without spoiling anything, if I DO get to find out what happens next from playing the "Before" story? Or if maybe I somehow missed more content in the "After" story? I can't believe they'd let the story end like that..

11 hours ago, fun2novel said:

Dude, chill out. Just keep playing, the story isn't even over yet.

Calm down buddy. Your comment didn't clear anything up.

5 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

The SSS system is pretty obtuse overall. Raising Watase's meter means that he's really confident in himself and his abilities.

Enjoy the game

Ehhh sometimes. Other times he becomes more practical.

Edited by mavsynchroid

9 hours ago, fun2novel said:

I wasn't clearing anything up. You only finished one route and already complaining about the ending.

Just play the damn game or drop it if you're so concerned about the ending.

I think you're jumping the gun too soon.

In other words it was a meaningless comment? k.

On 4/28/2017 at 2:08 PM, mavsynchroid said:

If I raise the MC's SSS rating during a decision... Is he going to be brave and jump into the fire?... or is he going to be wise and not jump in?...

If someone is disagreeing with the MC but makes a good and rational point, will raising both the MC's and the person who's arguing's bar make the MC accept and admire that decision?.. Will raising only the arguer's bar and dropping the MC's make it so he ignores the arguer and makes a bad choice? Or does it mean he'll back down timidly? Same questions if I raise the MC's bar and drop the arguer's... >_< I'm all for trying something different but this system makes absolutely NO sense, no pun intended.

ANYWAY, now that I've blown off some steam, the real reason why I'm here. I just got the good ending in the "After" story. I haven't even begun the "Before" story because a lot of people told me I should definitely do the "After" story first or I'll be spoiled a lot. The thing I'm confused about though, is that at the end of the "After" story in the good ending, it ends with a big cliff hanger... Doesn't the "Before" story take place BEFORE the "After" story, if that makes sense?

In other words, am I not going to see what happens next in the "After" story"? It might sound silly, but if I get no more information about what happens next in the "After" story, then I really don't want to even bother playing "Before".

Just in case your memory is fuzzy about what happens in the good ending of the "After" story, it ends with the MC and the young man he saved (and most likely shot?) locked inside area N, with the MC's squad mates and the researcher going nuts outside trying to kill him (I'm guessing due to the particles from the machine) and the young man's friend, a girl, slowly bleeding out somewhere  (I've never seen her in the "After" story, though I'm sure she's in the "Before" story)

Anyway, if it's left like that as a cliff hanger even after playing the "Before" story, I don't want to waste my time. Can someone tell me, without spoiling anything, if I DO get to find out what happens next from playing the "Before" story? Or if maybe I somehow missed more content in the "After" story? I can't believe they'd let the story end like that..

Okay, to clarify actually instead of 2 there's 4 route in Root Double. To unlock route C, you need to clear both of Route A and B. As for the answer, it was revealed at route C and D. Oh, and route D was some sort of true route there.

By the way, Before story was indeed take a place before 'After' story (Exactly What It Says on the Tin trope here). But there's a reason that you must play 'Before' story after finishing 'After', namely that it revealed some spoilery thing to 'After' route.

Edited by littleshogun

10 hours ago, fun2novel said:
4 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Okay, to clarify actually instead of 2 there's 4 route in Root Double. To unlock route C, you need to clear both of Route A and B. As for the answer, it was revealed at route C and D. Oh, and route D was some sort of true route there.

By the way, Before story was indeed take a place before after story (Exactly What It Says on the Tin trope here). But there's a reason that you must play before story after finishing 'After', namely that it revealed some spoilery thing to After route.

Ah! Current and Double! C and D! I stumbled across that in a walk through, but it was never explained WHAT it was exactly. Thank you for this explanation. Now I'm all hyped up to get back into it. I didn't want to play the Before route, only to find out it ends pretty much where the After route starts, with no explanation as to what happens after the After route ends.

Jeesh, somehow the quoting system got all screwy.

Edited by mavsynchroid

On 28.04.2017 at 9:08 AM, mavsynchroid said:

SSS is one of the worst system I have ever seen in VNs. You never have ANY idea about what characters are going t odo if you raise their meters, it's coplete bullshit. I recommend playing with walkthrough, but then - you need to alt+tab the game once in every few minutes.

So yeah, RD is a good VN (I think, I only just sterted), but its system is horrible.

The SSS system is indeed awful, it's pretty much pure guesswork. Save and reload until you get the result you actually want, and even then you might screw up because what determines the Route A ending you get is actually really complex.

Anyway, Route B may take place before Route A, but it still sheds some light on the events that transpire within. And then after that, additional routes are unlocked that take place after Route A, so don't worry about that. There's a definite story conclusion to be had in this game.

Can I use this thread very quick? I want to start it but both Root A and Root B are available from the start. From which route should I start? And should I finish all endings of it before going to the other?

ps I did not read the first post to avoid spoilers

Edited by Silvz

18 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Can I use this thread very quick? I want to start it but both Root A and Root B are available from the start. From which route should I start? And should I finish all endings of it before going to the other?

ps I did not read the first post to avoid spoilers

Start from route A, because while route B was take place before route A actually it was full of spoiler (Route B). As for the ending, just go for true ending if I may suggest something (And save before branching in case you want particular ending). Have fun.

I recommend to start with Root A.

As for the endings. If you mean all the BAD ends then no, you can get them if you want to 100% the game but you don't have to. However I do recommend getting the Normal ending but once again you don't have to (or you might get it on your own). But you need to get the Root A true ending (or was it called the Good Ending I don't remember).

But if you want to get the best ending you'll have to complete Root A at least 3 times. Each time you'll need to make the right choices to get a scene with your favorite girl. I recommend that you do that, it's gonna be worth it.

Edited by fun2novel
Changed Root B to A

8 hours ago, fun2novel said:

I recommend to start with Root B.

As for the endings. If you mean all the BAD ends then no, you can get them if you want to 100% the game but you don't have to. However I do recommend getting the Normal ending but once again you don't have to (or you might get it on your own). But you need to get the Root B true ending (or was it called the Good Ending I don't remember).

But if you want to get the best ending you'll have to complete Root B at least 3 times. Each time you'll need to make the right choices to get a scene with your favorite girl. I recommend that you do that, it's gonna be worth it.

Woah woah, why would you recommend starting with route B? The Before route spoils a lot of the After route. Like a huge chunk.

Definitely start with the "After" route. Then play the "Before' route second.

Anyway, I'm back because I've finished both the Before and After route. Now I've unlocked the "Current" route. However I was just curious, does the "Double" route unlock after this? Just want to make sure I didn't somehow miss unlocking the "Double" route, and that I should be playing the "Double" route before the "Current" route. If it unlocks after playing through "Current", then there's no problem of course.

You really should play the routes in order.  What order?  Alphabetical order.  The game enforces some of this; you can't play C without playing A and B, likewise for D requiring C.

I don't know whatever possessed them to give you the choice of playing A or B first.  The story is clearly much better if you play through A completely, then start on route B.  (Never mind that the pacing is off a bit because Before drags for a bit early on.  It's still clearly much better that way.)  Giving a choice just makes the game worse because some people will get a sub-optimal experience.

I personally deeply regret having played route A before B.

Chronologically, route A comes after B and A simply spoils far too much about B. It was one reason I found route B incredibly boring. Route A pretty much spoils the complete ending of route B and you're far more interested to know how A continues instead of getting stuck in an almost endless slice of life festival with barely any relevant new information. However, B did a decent job at introducing the characters and at least for me, that belongs to the beginning and not somewhere in the middle of the VN. If I'd ever read RD again, I would definitely start in chronological order with route B.

I generally agree with most of that, ChaosRaven.  Except that Route B spoils one of the central mysteries of Route A.  Route A is much more effective if that mystery is still mysterious, and I think that Route A is in general the stronger of the two.  Mostly because Route B is very slow compared to route A.  It probably would have been better shortened.  End result, I prefer the reading order that doesn't weaken what I consider the stronger of the two routes.

A hypothetical altered route order, where the introductory parts of route B take place first, then route A (with the remainder of route B mixed in as flashbacks) kicks off, would probably have worked better.  (With some in media res intro to avoid having the beginning drag too much.)  But that's not what we got.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still reading it and got another important question about the game. The WT I'm following presents Double's endings in this order:

√Double: Good Ending Before “Resurrection from Oblivion”

√Double: Good Ending AFTER “Replay from Forgetfulness”

√Double: True Ending “Ideals from Eternity”

√Double: Good Ending BEFORE “Alliance from Compomise”

√Double: Good Ending After “Successor from Regret”

Since my last experience following their order was not a good one (reading A's True ending before Normal), I'd rather ask you people which is the better order to read these endings.

Should I read the "other" endings before the True one, or are they bonus, so I can read them later? And what is the difference between capital and non capital letters in this context?

Are any of the Xtend chapters included in these endings?

Edited by Silvz

The true usually ending (I think they call it grand ending) should be left for last.

I did not play the Xtend edition but the original only had 3 endings. Two good and one true. So I think the last two ends are probably only for the Xtend edition.