Favourite VN Artists/Art Styles

Thatcomicguy

So everyone has different styles and tastes so what VN's art style (environments, characters or just in general) stands out the most as a favourite for you guys? 

For me character wise and CG pieces Winged Cloud's primary artist Wanaca has a really unique art style that seems both modernly cutesy yet ahead of the norm it's just a same most Winged Cloud VN's are so short and to the point so she can't really show off the fullest of her skills. 

For Reference of some of her work I'll leave some of her Safe for work pieces:

CaAZj_yWEAAd3Gr.jpg

79705.jpg

Another stand out for me is Frontwing's artists mainly Watanabe Akio's more serious, atmospheric and realistic style.

And for Reference:

game_ss_fog_05.jpg 

game_ss_fog_06.jpg

So those are my main ones. Obviously that's not all of them as I've flooded this post enough. So what are yours?

happoubi jin. has illustrated for vns for a while and its really something to see earlier work that wasnt hd and then to newer works. been a blast.

1702.jpg

36767.jpg

and tony taka. tony taka seems to be drifting away a bit from the h-vn department but man, he drew some nice stuff.

33017.jpg

hKAnZdv.jpg

and ive really started to love wagi, the artist behind the majikoi series.
IoGsbjx.jpg

RbpS2Ut.jpg

Granted, I don't have much experience with VNs, but Steins;Gate is one I really like. It looks fantastic (especially on a big screen) and it also looks like nothing else I've seen. The "dots" for example, really pop and add character to the art. I also really like the style of the backgrounds, though I don't know how to describe it. It seems kind of run-down in a lot of places, but not in a "neglected" or "broken" way - more in a "lived in" type of way. 

steins-gate4.jpg

18 hours ago, snowbell55 said:

Granted, I don't have much experience with VNs, but Steins;Gate is one I really like. It looks fantastic (especially on a big screen) and it also looks like nothing else I've seen. The "dots" for example, really pop and add character to the art. I also really like the style of the backgrounds, though I don't know how to describe it. It seems kind of run-down in a lot of places, but not in a "neglected" or "broken" way - more in a "lived in" type of way. 

steins-gate4.jpg

forgot how beautiful.

My absolute favorite? Sayori, without a doubt. That woman is probably closest to what humans consider perfect drawing. It also was a fun trip to follow her development on those skills ever since the first nekopara concept art came out, way before the actual release of volume 1 (back then, she most likely had a goth phase, which was spilling into her art)

Spoiler

BjGYirb.jpg

I just wish we got more than just Nekopara from her in the west. I heard Koikuma is super good.

In terms of art that intrigues me, I have to give a shout out to Ray-kbys. Not only are his subjects really bizarre most of the time, but he also has a really fascinating way of drawing eyes, colors, shades and is integrating visible emotions into the motives.

Fans theorize that Ray might actually just be Cthulhu's pen name for girl drawings. Who knows.

Spoiler

XRIpIqJ.jpg

I have to mention though, that I also follow both of them for non-game art as well. If I had to pick artists strictly from a Visual Novel basis, the Yuzusoft gang (Kobuichi, Muririn and Komowata for the SDs) do good work (and they are actually getting better with every game).

An urgently necessary shout out goes out to all the background artists who rarely get their work praised. I wholeheartedly thank them for providing us with fantastic scenery, since I rarely come across bad backgrounds in VNs. Even if the sprites look terrible/outdated, backgrounds usually salvageable.