Libra of the Vampire Princess - Releasing May 16th, 2017

exaccuss

7 hours ago, Saggz said:

I actually was going to buy Libra of the Vampire Princess on Steam but if I can't get the 18+ patch with it, then I'm not going to bother. If I'm going to pay $40 for a game, I want to be able to enjoy all the content.

Yes West always get the worst deals compared to Asia, VNs without ero, Smartphones with less storage and less RAM

EDIT: After sending them a message asking why, it seems they mean the patch will only be availalbe if you can prove you also bought the game. So, as a backer you will get the patch for free, IF you also bought the game. But, it will NOT be sent to you atomatically, even if you pledged over the 3$ they are charging for the patch. But ONLY backer will get it for free. They did not say the reason why they suddenly changed their mind on this.

So yeah, they did indeed randomly go back on their word.

Unless you pledged at least 30$, you will not get the patch and must buy it separately.

0IDNlgD.png

Also, what the hell is even gonig on? The game has been out for over a day, but no kickstarter update talking about it? The patch is clearly done, but only backers can obtain it. We don't even have the option to purchase it yet.

Meanwhile, all they are doing is shiposting on twitter. Did they murder their old PR guy and hire the guys from Dies instead or something?

2 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Unless you pledged at least 30$, you will not get the patch and must buy it separately.

Well, that is how I understood the whole deal from the start. Of course you don't get the patch if you didn't pledge at least 30 usd for the game...

Edited by WinterfuryZX

12 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Well, that is how I understood the whole deal from the start. Of course you don't get the patch if you didn't pledge at least 30 usd for the game...

This is actually not the case, though. As you can see by my edit. As long as you are a backer, you get the patch for free when you buy the game. You just have to send them proof that you bought it, (just message them on kickstarter,) and you'll get the patch from them.

I am about four hours into this game, reading at a regular pace. I can't believe the awful quality of the translation. It reminds me of the game Flyable Heart, which had a machine translation patch released that was so bad, they completely removed it from VNDB. I checked out Flyable Heart years ago but when playing Libra of the Vampire Princess, it reminded me of that game for the first time in years. I feel like I was cheated $40. With translation quality like this, the price should only be $20 at most. It would be fair if that was the case but the price is twice as much.

The translation isn't nearly as bad as Flyable Heart but it's still all over the place and really difficult to understand. It gives me a headache on some parts because there are sentences that are translated correctly one minute and the next minute there are strange pronunciation and grammar and to be honest, it doesn't even feel like I'm reading English. I am by no means an expert of the English language and I guarantee some of my posts have weird grammar or something similar but I am left completely and utterly baffled by the quality of this translation, which I have been looking forward to since they released the Kickstarter. 

I understand it was a huge project but if you didn't plan on doing a quality translation then you should have cut the price in half at least. I know I'm not the only one who notices this, but it seems like it was translated to English by a Japanese person who was born and grew up in Japan and only has a basic understanding of English. You can tell by reading it that there was a language barrier there and it shows in the translation. 

Honestly, if it wasn't for this, I would rate the game 10/10 but since the translation is so poor, the most I can give it is an 8. While the game is still very much enjoyable and it is possible to understand. The parts that have bad translation do make sense after you read a certain portion of it but the fact that I have to put effort into understanding it is just something that shouldn't happen when I pay $40 for an ENGLISH visual novel. 

@MiKandi Japan - If you are planning on doing another English visual novel translation, I HIGHLY recommend hiring someone with better English skills. I always got average marks in English, nothing special but I had an average of about 70% and even with that average skill, I could have easily put the sentences together much better. The way some parts are put together, it's like one of those word problems that you only understand after a majority of the pieces are revealed to you.

I guarantee many people will agree with this but let me make this clear, I still am enjoying this game but I just think it's only worth half of what I paid. I bet a ton of work and hours went into translation and of course it is worth paying for but only $20 at most because of the poor translation quality. It's possible it's just because it's MiKandi's first English visual novel, but I hope they learn their lesson from this screw up.

PS - If you don't agree with me, that's fine. This review is just my point of view and my opinion, although I guarantee it is shared by many people. I am just giving people a heads up. I will still read the entire thing since I paid for it but the most I can give it is 8/10 on VNDB.

Well, I'll still try it later. While I knew Flyable Heart was had bad translation, at least I did read some badly translated VN compared to that (Madou Koukaku and Soukoku no Arterial NekoHen patch) and yet I managed to understand it. Let's just hope that they didn't translated 'Tadaaa' as some inappropriate word like sh*t.

I have to agree with Saggz. The translation is quite frankly, baffling. I've only made it about 2 hours into the game if that and already I just can't bring myself to continue as it's just driving me crazy. The more I read the stupider I feel for not understanding these weirdly worded sentences. There are only 2 explanations as to why it's so off. Either they got someone to translate/edit and English isn't their native language, or they mistakenly added the raw translation script to the game instead. I want to like the game I really do, but with the translation as it is currently I just can't handle reading anymore without getting irritated and confused, which leads me to shutting it down.

Edited by Serimorph

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished Libra of the Vampire Princess. I have it 100% completed and honestly I did enjoy the story but the translation did make quite a few parts complicated. All in all though, I was able to understand it for the most part but some of the sentences gave me a headache the way they were worded. If I had to guess, I think this project was rushed a bit too much and that reduced the amount of time they had to go over their translation and editing to make sure the sentences flow together nicely. If the translation quality was a bit better, I would easily give Libra of the Vampire Princess a 9/10 but since the translation was rather poor, I would reduce the score down to 7.5/10 which is still pretty good. If you are used to Japanese visual novels like I am, you can use past experience to figure out the hard to understand parts. 

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely readable. I just don't think it was worth the $40. I wouldn't have had any problem paying $20 or even $25 for it but for $40, they should have done a little better on the translation. I just pre-ordered Princess Evangile W Happiness for $36 and I guarantee Mangagamer did an excellent job on the translation. I have purchased many Mangagamer games and they have never disappointed. So I really don't get why they charged $40 for Libra when W Happiness is only $36 to pre-order. Not only is it shorter but it is also in very high demand.

I was a little weirded out over all the urination stuff since that's not my cup of tea but all in all the H Scenes are pretty good. The story is good, the art is good, the sound and voice is good. The only thing I can't say is good is the translation quality. If I had to rate that, I would say it's Acceptable. Meaning that if you're an experienced visual novel reader like myself, you can pretty much figure out what they mean.

Edited by Saggz

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus Christ, such disappointment. I'm actually glad I wasn't really interested with Libra, but I still cheered and hold my fingers crossed for the whole team responsible for localization. Sadly, it seems to be all in vain and it's quite baffling seeing how much the final product diverted from the original concept; frankly, it feels almost like a fraud of sorts. Where did things go so wrong to end up like this? Was it the lack of actual communication yet again™, mere misunderstanding or typical corporationism?

I'm even more astonished with people, who are fine with such quality assurance and state it's fine to pay 40$ for something that reads like garbage, any middle-schooler would wrote better. I'm sorry to say that, but this kind of approach isn't acceptable.

• 6 months later...