Libra of the Vampire Princess - Releasing May 16th, 2017

exaccuss

43 minutes ago, Decay said:

Anyway, the "quantity over quality" argument is one I will vehemently disagree with, though I doubt any debate on the matter would be productive.

The quantity over quality argument doesn't even apply here. This was an official release, not a fan-translation. They could've hired more capable people very easily. 

1 hour ago, Chuee said:

The quantity over quality argument doesn't even apply here. This was an official release, not a fan-translation. They could've hired more capable people very easily. 

I'm sure the translator got Bs in English.  Why would they need anyone else?

/s

On 5/26/2017 at 6:46 AM, voidpointer said:

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but if people are so hard-boiled about English translations and are gonna be super picky, why not just learn Japanese so you can read the original content? I know that seems like an asshole thing to say and I'm not trying to be. However, while it is a slight distraction to see some of the bad translations that Decay pointed out, they don't seem to ruin the enjoyment of the VN as it was intended. When you look at VNs that have tens of thousands of lines of text, and you pick maybe 10 out that are bad, isn't that a bit much?

I've played VNs that have bad translations in them and, while distracting, it didn't really ruin the overall enjoyment factor. I think the frustrating part for me is that it takes a LOT of time to get an English translation and games normally don't get a second translation, so the fact that we have English to read at all should be appreciated. However by that same logic, I also appreciate the counter-argument that it should be done right in the first place.

Note I'm not making excuses for bad translations nor am I saying it's acceptable. I guess I'm just saying we should all calm down a little bit and maybe appreciate that the translation is provided in the first place.

"It doesn't matter that this restaurant sells literal shit on a plate. It takes a long time to make food, so we should be happy we could spend our money to enjoy the atmosphere of the restaurant, even if the food is shit on a plate."

This mentality is why the Libra translation happened in the first place, because instead of demanding quality people are fine with spending forty bucks only to be served shit on a plate. Doesn't matter if it doesn't hamper your enjoyment, it's still shit on a plate.

Saying we should appreciate it happened at all is excusing bad translations and bad translation practices.

And Libra isn't just "ten bad lines" with thousands of good ones. Nearly the entire game is a pile of shit heaped up on more shit. 

On 5/26/2017 at 6:46 AM, voidpointer said:

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but if people are so hard-boiled about English translations and are gonna be super picky, why not just learn Japanese so you can read the original content? I know that seems like an asshole thing to say and I'm not trying to be. However, while it is a slight distraction to see some of the bad translations that Decay pointed out, they don't seem to ruin the enjoyment of the VN as it was intended. When you look at VNs that have tens of thousands of lines of text, and you pick maybe 10 out that are bad, isn't that a bit much?

I've played VNs that have bad translations in them and, while distracting, it didn't really ruin the overall enjoyment factor. I think the frustrating part for me is that it takes a LOT of time to get an English translation and games normally don't get a second translation, so the fact that we have English to read at all should be appreciated. However by that same logic, I also appreciate the counter-argument that it should be done right in the first place.

Note I'm not making excuses for bad translations nor am I saying it's acceptable. I guess I'm just saying we should all calm down a little bit and maybe appreciate that the translation is provided in the first place.

I'd agree with that sentiment except that being that this was a crowdfunded game those people kinda footed some of the bill. 

Eh. Having played Persona 5, and plenty of NISA titles, I'd say Libra is head and shoulders above either, despite those that would like to cry foul and make noise to the contrary. I find the style Libra went with a bit tacky, true - but from the screenshots I've seen - there have been no glaring errors. (on a technical level)

Honestly, I've seen worse from Jast and early Mangagamer. My only real annoyance with the whole thing as a backer, is this delay with the digital version. I may have forgotten the details - but I was under the assumption they were releasing it through Denpa and MG (adult), as well as Steam. Yet now it sounds like it's only Steam, with a 18 patch?

Ah well, I'm buried in a backlog of stuff anyway. I'll be lucky if I actually start reading it by Christmas :sachi:

On 2017. 05. 28. at 0:32 AM, Decay said:

Uh, sorry, but the translation is very badly done. It's not "a few mistakes," it's a constant stream of massive fuckups. 

Anyway, the "quantity over quality" argument is one I will vehemently disagree with, though I doubt any debate on the matter would be productive.

Its already confirmed to have uncensored version, thats half success itself. Now if they provide better quality than machine translation and if you can get the general idea what has been written, then I am sold

Beggars cant be choosers, those who dont understand moon runes cant be too picky about quality, I understand that perfectionist or people who spoiled with lot of choice (knowing moon runes) can pass this

3 hours ago, Swim Swim said:

Beggars cant be choosers, those who dont understand moon runes cant be too picky about quality, I understand that perfectionist or people who spoiled with lot of choice (knowing moon runes) can pass this

this goddamn-ish mentality of yours is exactly what´s keeping companies such as mikandi jp to appear on stage, ultimately fucking up people´s hopes and expectations. you seriously don´t want to get it, do you? like if this (libra etc) was an unofficial translation of sorts, like if some retards suddenly decided on doing stuff they had no single clue about, like them stubbornly ignoring all goodwill-ish feedback in the process of creating an abomination you could either read(?), or refuse doing so, because well, it´d be an unoffical one, so fuck it. but in the case of libra it´s fundamentically different

- licensing costs & whatnot probably at a minimum due to them being all lovey-dovey with xero

- still got an impressive sum of little over 180k out of the kickstarter campaign of theirs

- having put quite some reccources into propaganda and avertisement

- unless all funds were spend on drinking finest shochu and whoring around with schoolgirls, there should´ve definitely been enough left for hiring themselves some competent staff

- & lastly let´s please not forget one of the claims they did make:
 "XERO has partnered with MiKandi Japan to complete this giant task. Together we are working with the original writers, and programmers to deliver a superbly translated game"

so yo, from a customers point of view this sure is sth to feel angry about, even more so if he/she happened to back the aforementioned campaign, which as things stand now was build on lies and utterly false assurances. 
not even remotely wanting to mention the bad turn they´ve done to each and every smaller-ish publisher who´s trying to somehow get by when doing kickstarters. 

edit: and just to be clear, this has so fuckingly nothing to do with being able to read moonrunes or not, because if you´re calling yourself a professional, yet keep on delivering one hell of a garbled mess, getting condemned should be expected. simple as that.

Edited by XReaper

• 3 weeks later...

Fingers crossed, though half the people interested in it will have already left the boat.

Edit June 20th: Roughly 2 hours left of the day here, and no sign of it. I know the releases are America-based but it doesn't look like happening.

Edited by Okarin

I don't understand what is up with the 18+ patch. They clearly stated several times that they are releasing it for free for everyone, the moment the game comes out.

And yet, here we are, only a few people got the patch, and it's locked behind a password?

(I'm a backer, but I didn't even get it. It seems like only backers of a certain tier + got the patch.)

They have been saying the patch will be free since last year:

GPfxSJF.png

@MiKandi Japan can you guys give us some info on what is going on here? ...

Edited by Dergonu
Engrishu

1 hour ago, Okarin said:

This may be downright illegal, but anyway, maybe the good people will share the patch on the interwebz.

I actually was going to buy Libra of the Vampire Princess on Steam but if I can't get the 18+ patch with it, then I'm not going to bother. If I'm going to pay $40 for a game, I want to be able to enjoy all the content. To be honest, I haven't ever bought a visual novel, I usually just download them on the internet. Yes, I know it's illegal, but I'm only one of the millions that do it. I have been waiting for Libra of the Vampire Princess to come out for a while now, which is why I am willing to buy it. 

There are three visual novels that I am willing to pay for and they are Princess Evangile W/ Happiness, The Eden of Grisaia (Unrated) and Libra of the Vampire Princess. Those are the only ones I would actually pay for.