Libra of the Vampire Princess - Releasing May 16th, 2017

exaccuss

Definitely not buying this one now. Do they not have an English editor or is the editor's main language not English? This thing is gonna be a train wreck. Hopefully they listen to feedback and release a patch with fixed translations otherwise this will(hopefully) be their last kickstarter.

People tends to pay too much attention to PR marketing or rather on how the product is presented... Myself included. Humanity at fault here.

Dies Irae PRs sucked hard in their job hindering kickstarters results but when the game will come out (with a top notch translation) none will care anymore. Libra will be remembered as a disaster if they don't do something like JAST did with Flowers vol.1 where Meru saved the day in the end.

24 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Dies Irae PRs sucked hard in their job hindering kickstarters results but when the game will come out (with a top notch translation) none will care anymore.

I wouldn't talk like that before it's out. Even if the translation is great, there are still plenty of places to fuck up.

6 hours ago, voidpointer said:

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but if people are so hard-boiled about English translations and are gonna be super picky, why not just learn Japanese so you can read the original content? I know that seems like an asshole thing to say and I'm not trying to be. However, while it is a slight distraction to see some of the bad translations that Decay pointed out, they don't seem to ruin the enjoyment of the VN as it was intended. When you look at VNs that have tens of thousands of lines of text, and you pick maybe 10 out that are bad, isn't that a bit much?

I've played VNs that have bad translations in them and, while distracting, it didn't really ruin the overall enjoyment factor. I think the frustrating part for me is that it takes a LOT of time to get an English translation and games normally don't get a second translation, so the fact that we have English to read at all should be appreciated. However by that same logic, I also appreciate the counter-argument that it should be done right in the first place.

Note I'm not making excuses for bad translations nor am I saying it's acceptable. I guess I'm just saying we should all calm down a little bit and maybe appreciate that the translation is provided in the first place.

Sorry, but they aren't entitled to my gratitude, and I'm not going to suck them off for presenting us with a pile of garbage I would not enjoy reading. 

>When you look at VNs that have tens of thousands of lines of text, and you pick maybe 10 out that are bad, isn't that a bit much?

What do you want out of me? I told you the entire VN is like that, and it is. How am I supposed to criticize their work? Do I have to comb over their entire translation and present you with 10,000 reasons it's bad? I COULD do that, but I don't feel like wasting the several hundred hours of my life it would take.

If you enjoy bad translations, then more power to you I guess. But they have done nothing to deserve any sort of appreciation from those of us who do not enjoy bad translations.

Edited by Decay

Ewww bummer to hear the translation is so poor. I kickstarted it though so I'm already going to check it out. Going into Kickstarter you have to understand you could be throwing money away (not that you can't complain). 

Also I do understand voidpointer at least to the extent I don't care if the translation is similar to the original Japanese, but the thing I do care about is the quality. You could not understand the original source material at all and put out your own story based on the CGs presented and I would only really care about if it was good or not. Unfortunately it seems like even if the story and everything else is good the actual sentence structure and overall grammar is pretty poor. 

It's too bad since I was looking forward to this coming out as I am looking for something to read with a supernatural/fantasy setting. 

It's sad to see a game that was this hotly-anticipated by the community get a lousy TL. Hopefully they listen to the feedback and do something about it, even if it's just trusting to the localization companies out there that do know what they're doing (MG, SP, Frontwing, etc.; it's not like there's a shortage of potential partners) with future games.

Edited by Fred the Barber

8 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

People tends to pay too much attention to PR marketing or rather on how the product is presented...

Yeah just look at the Dies Irae Kickstarter, it's as if the "fans" didn't even care about the game itself, but rather cared only about 2 things:

1. Muh Rusalka

2. Muh updates

Edited by Nier

13 hours ago, voidpointer said:

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but if people are so hard-boiled about English translations and are gonna be super picky, why not just learn Japanese so you can read the original content? I know that seems like an asshole thing to say and I'm not trying to be. However, while it is a slight distraction to see some of the bad translations that Decay pointed out, they don't seem to ruin the enjoyment of the VN as it was intended...

Well, this bit here sure seems like it completely butchers a joke:

"Hooray, Master's got a lawful wife! After this, suck as much blood as possible and keep your favorite mistresses! Yay, harem, successful man!"

Now, this line is supposed to be funny.  After all, your maid is telling you to get out there and build a large harem by sucking hot babe blood.  But humor is all about delivery, and the delivery is completely butchered here.  If you have to stop to think what the line is going on about, it's not a very funny line.

Now, I haven't played this yet (waiting for 18+) but it sure sounds like Persona 5 all over again: over and over, that game took what should have been cool character building moments, and translated them like it was a poorly-translated technical manual.  As a result, characters' personalities come across very poorly.  The impact of every scene where lines are screwed up is lessened.  This doesn't turn Persona 5 into a bad game; but it means that the game could have been something much greater than what it is.

13 hours ago, voidpointer said:

Note I'm not making excuses for bad translations nor am I saying it's acceptable.

Sorry, dude, but you said that criticizing bad translations is "a bit much", and minimized the criticism aimed at this particular game by saying it doesn't really matter.  That's pretty much the definition of making excuses.  And then you said bad translations "didn't really ruin the overall enjoyment factor", which sounds an awful lot like saying it's acceptable.

Which is fine.  To each his own, if bad translations don't bother you because you're just glad it was translated at all, more power to you.  But you should own it.  Yeah, there's a lot of people here who do care about good translations - myself included - but they won't bite you for expressing your opinion.  We.  I mean we.  We won't bite.  Often.

Edited by Nandemonai
where did those blank lines come from?

12 hours ago, RikiSanic said:

I supported the Kickstarter because the team seemed passionate about bringing their first visual novel over, not because I thought Libra looked all that interesting. But it seems like they didn't care/weren't competent enough to handle the task.

Wasn't going to double post, since apparently it's frowned on here, but yet again the Fuwa editor fails me ;)

There are two really sad things about this whole mess.  First, we know they cared.  Nobody who didn't care would have gone to the lengths they did to make the Kickstarter a success.  From their efforts to turn the Kickstarter around, to their very frequent status updates (that were clearly handled by people who do know English), everything about the way the campaign was run tells me that they cared deeply about the outcome of this.  And second, they fell victim to a mistake that many before them have fallen victim to: yet another company that starts up and releases hot garbage for their first release.  Why can't new entrants into this market seem to figure this out?  Why does everyone walk right into the same pitfall with their eyes wide open?

50 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

Now, I haven't played this yet (waiting for 18+) but it sure sounds like Persona 5 all over again: over and over, that game took what should have been cool character building moments, and translated them like it was a poorly-translated technical manual.  As a result, characters' personalities come across very poorly.  The impact of every scene where lines are screwed up is lessened.  This doesn't turn Persona 5 into a bad game; but it means that the game could have been something much greater than what it is.

This isn't a very apt comparison because Libra's translation is easily several orders of magnitude worse than Persona 5. Like, they aren't even in the same ballpark. 

42 minutes ago, Decay said:

This isn't a very apt comparison because Libra's translation is easily several orders of magnitude worse than Persona 5. Like, they aren't even in the same ballpark. 

Have to agree. From what I can tell from the screenshots plastered all over the internet, since I still haven't played it, Persona 5 is occasionally excellent (I've seen some clearly outstanding work in screenshots posted by defenders of the TL), usually acceptable, often uninspiring and somewhat missing the intended tone (this seems to be the most common problem), and rarely outright bad ("Me near, okay?" and shit like that). On the other hand, Libra is looking to be pretty uniformly terrible, even in the screenshots posted by the company itself. I have no hesitation about playing Persona 5, and once I get around to it, I'm sure I'll enjoy it, while occasionally rolling my eyes at the TL and wishing it were better. In contrast, Libra's TL is looking like a total deal-breaker.

3 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Now, I haven't played this yet (waiting for 18+) but it sure sounds like Persona 5 all over again: over and over, that game took what should have been cool character building moments, and translated them like it was a poorly-translated technical manual.  As a result, characters' personalities come across very poorly.  The impact of every scene where lines are screwed up is lessened.

Man, just how much were the people's minds polluted by several self-righteous men who decided to earn their chunk of fame and turn persona into the promotion of their ideas of an "ideal" translation if those people are now ready to equate the very competent overall, even though uneven and at times unedited persona translation, with the plain bad excerpts Decay provided. Truly regrettable.

Edited by Rylei

3 minutes ago, Rylei said:

Man, just how much were the people's minds polluted by several self-righteous men who decided to earn their chunk of fame and turn persona into the promotion of their ideas of an "ideal" translation if those people are now ready to equate the very competent overall, even though uneven and at times unedited persona translation, with the plain bad excerpts Decay provided. Truly regrettable.

Now, in spite of what I said above, I completely disagree with this. Every person I've seen complaining about the P5 translation (including notably Connor and Verde) has done so for the excellent reason that, if an official localization is weak (especially a high-profile one like P5), you should call out how and why it is, out of a very legitimate fear that we're going to regress back to what JP video game translations were like in years gone past, if the fan base isn't vigilant and vocal about problems. They also did an excellent job of clearly explaining the problems and their scope, and the claim that it was an attempt at "promotion of their ideas of an 'ideal' translation" is, IMO, a huge overstatement: the P5 translation stinks at times, and it isn't asking for too much to ask for a P5 translation that doesn't stink at times.

Getting far afield from the topic, though, at this point... I seriously wonder when Libra will release something other than physicals, even though I guess I'm unlikely to play it at this point... It sure is a weird English release for a VN, though, where the physical release is the first thing available.

4 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

has done so for the excellent reason that, if an official localization is weak (especially a high-profile one like P5), you should call out how and why it is, out of a very legitimate fear that we're going to regress back to what JP video game translations were like in years gone past, if the fan base isn't vigilant and vocal about problems

In an exremely excessive and often wrong manner. They simply chose the most popular target even if it's not really suitable past the first few hours. The vast majority of KT, NISA, Aksys or Bandai Namco translations are much worse but they turned Persona into the martyr of "bad" translations. That's exactly what absurdity looks like and now we see the amusing results.

Edited by Rylei

1 minute ago, Rylei said:

In an exremely excessive and often wrong manner. They simply chose the most popular target even if it's not really suitable past the first few hours. The vast majority of KT, NISA, Aksys or Bandai Namco translations are much worse but they turned Persona into the martyr of "bad" translations. That's exactly what absurdity looks like.

Wrong? nah mon. Regarding the targeting though, part of it was because Atlus had a reputation for good translations - people kinda expect NISA to be shit a lot of the time, this was not the case with Atlus.

3 minutes ago, Zakamutt said:

part of it was because Atlus had a reputation for good translations - people kinda expect NISA to be shit a lot of the time

Yeah, right, that's what you and maybe someone like BDH think, while in reality I now constantly see the passages like "everything about danganronpa is so good! While on the other hand dat horrible persona translation, it's barely playable, I didn't really notice anything wrong with it myself outside of the few weird lines but people bash it so much on the internet, it's so bad!" And now it's even compared to something like Libra. It's pretty amazing.
With the way they handled it, the only things they attained are the questionable glory for themselves and some bad PR for Atlus. When there are so many bad localizations of even quite high-profile games, now we have a mindset that persona's translation is somehow the worst of its generation among the jewels. Oh my, Libra's localization is so bad, it's Persona all over again. I'll better go and play the amazing Atelier, now that never hinders my enjoyment with its blatant mistakes.

Sigh, oh well, there's no point in continuing this weird off-topic, please carry on with bashing Libra.

Persona 5 is being judged harshly because Persona 3 and Persona 4's translations were masterpieces.  Persona 5's is very far from being a masterpiece.  In fact, not insignificant parts of it are not even acceptable.

When Atlus released Persona 3 and Persona 4, it created expectations.  If Persona 5 had not followed these two games, I would expect less of it.  But it did.  Persona 5 gets flak from me for not being perfect because it is a Persona game, and Atlus already knows how to do perfect.  I would react the same way to a subpar Trails of Cold Steel 3 translation.  I expect crappy work from NISA; that's why I don't often buy their titles.  They don't do the games they work on justice.  I don't expect crappy work from Atlus.

But okay, it seems like comparing this to P5 isn't fair to P5.  The only thing these games have in common is that they disappoint me :(

Edited by Nandemonai

1 hour ago, Zakamutt said:

Wrong? nah mon. Regarding the targeting though, part of it was because Atlus had a reputation for good translations - people kinda expect NISA to be shit a lot of the time, this was not the case with Atlus.

In terms of raw translation quality (amount of typos, how the sentence is structured, awkardness etc), NISA is not up there I am sorry, the worst usually comes from the sub/text only localizations from Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo.

7 hours ago, Nier said:

In terms of raw translation quality (amount of typos, how the sentence is structured, awkardness etc), NISA is not up there I am sorry, the worst usually comes from the sub/text only localizations from Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo.

I'm curious about your mentioning Bandai Namco there, actually. The only thing I've played recently of theirs was Tales of Zestiria, which I played subtitled, and that TL is amazing. But they do tons of stuff and you said "sub/text only localizations", so maybe that's not the kind of release you have in mind? Agreed about Koei Tecmo, for sure. I played the latest Atelier game very recently, and the TL is so overly literal that it absolutely murdered any characterization present in the original. All the characters sound like identical, stilted foreigners instead of having the lively, distinct voices that, if nothing else, the JP voice actors infused them with.

On 2017. 05. 26. at 3:46 PM, voidpointer said:

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but if people are so hard-boiled about English translations and are gonna be super picky, why not just learn Japanese so you can read the original content? I know that seems like an asshole thing to say and I'm not trying to be. However, while it is a slight distraction to see some of the bad translations that Decay pointed out, they don't seem to ruin the enjoyment of the VN as it was intended. When you look at VNs that have tens of thousands of lines of text, and you pick maybe 10 out that are bad, isn't that a bit much?

I've played VNs that have bad translations in them and, while distracting, it didn't really ruin the overall enjoyment factor. I think the frustrating part for me is that it takes a LOT of time to get an English translation and games normally don't get a second translation, so the fact that we have English to read at all should be appreciated. However by that same logic, I also appreciate the counter-argument that it should be done right in the first place.

Note I'm not making excuses for bad translations nor am I saying it's acceptable. I guess I'm just saying we should all calm down a little bit and maybe appreciate that the translation is provided in the first place.

Exactly, I dont know about others but I prefer at least getting an english translation than getting nothing. I am willing to tolerate few badly translated line and wont stop me supporting the translators. Sure it could be done better, still I prefer this than complaints "its not perfect, therefore utterly worthless gibberish, not worth to buy" . If not for these projects , the vn community would be subject the pity of fan translators who might perfectly translate a given VN, but only after 6-10 year. Less quality more quantity I would say.

Is there uncensored version?

Yes!

Is the translated product machine quality or very badly done translation?

NO! There are few mistakes for sure, but not enough to destroy the enjoyment and fully edible.

Are char designs good enough(moe) and not typical boring shonen focused plot which west usually get?

Yes!

For me its a buy then.

6 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I'm curious about your mentioning Bandai Namco there, actually. The only thing I've played recently of theirs was Tales of Zestiria, which I played subtitled

Tales of Zesteria is not a sub/text only localization. though.

Bandai Namco were merged, but it seem like they still operate like they used to before the merging, before the merging you could see this pattern:

Bandai: Bad localizations

Namco: Crappy censorship (which could also be said that it affects the localizations to some degree, since they are taking liberties with altering the game for the censorship)

Now let me reiterate, I am speaking specifically of sub/text only localizations. Examples of said sub/text-only localizations:

The Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion

The Legend of Heroes: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch

The Legend of Heroes: Song of the Ocean

Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers

And so on.

Edited by Nier

2 hours ago, Swim Swim said:

Is the translated product machine quality or very badly done translation?

NO! There are few mistakes for sure, but not enough to destroy the enjoyment and fully edible.

Uh, sorry, but the translation is very badly done. It's not "a few mistakes," it's a constant stream of massive fuckups. 

Anyway, the "quantity over quality" argument is one I will vehemently disagree with, though I doubt any debate on the matter would be productive.