Libra of the Vampire Princess - Releasing May 16th, 2017

exaccuss

4 hours ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Finally, I've been waiting so long for this. I was expecting it to come out at March, but I guess they needed more time. Now I just need to find out whether that "patch" they announced for the Steam version is true.

I hope you're joking, because honestly, I find it a huge turn-off.

It is, they are releasing the patch and the censored version at the same time. 

And no, not joking. Lots of pee, sorry :P 

12 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

I remember how chill they were - the rep they had posting here from time to time seemed pretty decent too.

Was disappointed when I found out there was no route for Iris, but w/e, still seemed worth backing. Just glad they more or less kept their initial timeframe.

And I have now lost all interest in this VN. I always assumed she had a route as she is listed as a main character on VNDB. Well there goes another potential VN.

1 hour ago, Codesterz said:

And I have now lost all interest in this VN. I always assumed she had a route as she is listed as a main character on VNDB. Well there goes another potential VN.

"shrug" they made it very clear early on in the kickstarter. I admit it sucks, but still looks worthwhile imo. 'Sides, I'm guessing she has some sort of implied route, within either the general route or one of the other characters, as she does have at least one hscene.

7 minutes ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Ah "piss!" So much for my long awaited hype. Welp, it's back to Steins;Gate for me.

I mean, you can just skip over those scenes. It's not like that's everything the game has to offer, and it's just during H-scenes, as far as I'm aware. Still a 50<hour long game with story and other content.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately the release was delayed in order to prepare some not important matter (To me) like Steam Trading Card and achievement (I think they could prepare it later actually cmiiw, but whatever). Very annoying I knew, but I couldn't do anything about it other than waiting. Here's the news from them below, and if you annoyed just do whatever you want with Mari's picture.

'We have some final things to finish with Steam Achievements and Trading Cards. We thought we could get them done and still launch by the 16th, but it's not possible and now we have to admit it to ourselves and to you. We don't want to have a false start again, so we will get these things finalized, get them reviewed by Valve and then set our new launch date. Please stand by. In the meantime, just look at Mari's cute face! It has sorry written all over it, and we do sincerely apologize. Thank you for your patience and support as we fight for this next victory.'

dd289102f612a7e5c1dbe0a4892965a6_origina

PS - By the way, maybe the OP should change the title there.

Edited by littleshogun

3 hours ago, Decay said:

????????

Making stuff for market is hard. Always has been, always will be.

It was more a comment on how the current gen has constant delays, and less about the market thingies. But still, didn't they plan beforehand? Also, Clannad had the stickers and whatnot added later.

51 minutes ago, Okarin said:

It was more a comment on how the current gen has constant delays, and less about the market thingies. But still, didn't they plan beforehand? Also, Clannad had the stickers and whatnot added later.

Delays have been extremely prevalent throughout all of gaming history. Not sure I agree with this being a new trend.

On 2017. 04. 27. at 7:22 AM, exaccuss said:

I couldn't see any post of this on the forums or on the main page. So i thought i would at least let everyone know.

Source: 

Preorder here: https://lvxero.com/product-category/libra-of-the-vampire-princess/

I probably wont buy this because they didnt put in routes for Sakuraka and Kaede.

Thanks this one looks really good, cant wait for the release.

While waiting always sucks when you're watching a pot boil, I'd rather more games get delayed for little details/polish. I think the more troubling trend is games rushed to market because of some arbitrary deadline. You might say not achieving your "promised" release dates is a result of poor planning/management but I think releasing a unfinished product is worse frankly (game breaking bugs/missing content/etc). Not that release dates are contracts with your fans, but some fans seem to think they are. Of course major delays in the form of multi-month/years is a whole other story. That's clearly a whole other level of mismanagement. Always under commit and over perform has been my motto.

Anyways, I might have to pick this up. I've been focusing on things other than VNs of late.

I don't know... half of the big hits announced by Sony have been delayed for years. Same with Microsoft. Same with Zelda.

Of course, that doesn't really apply to VN because those games tend to have a strong commitment with graphics, that take a lot of time and effort to develop. Then you have the dreaded downgrades. It's just the direction the industry has taken.

3 hours ago, Okarin said:

I don't know... half of the big hits announced by Sony have been delayed for years. Same with Microsoft. Same with Zelda.

Of course, that doesn't really apply to VN because those games tend to have a strong commitment with graphics, that take a lot of time and effort to develop. Then you have the dreaded downgrades. It's just the direction the industry has taken.

I'm just going to point out that the examples you're using are not at all a new thing. In fact, Ocarina of Time was delayed a total of.. three? times, and it came out twenty years ago. Pokemon Red and Blue had the same issue and those also came out twenty years ago. And I'm positive that I could come up with more examples from even before then if I actually thought on it hard enough. Point is, it's nothing to do with the generation and more to do with unexpected issues cropping up. Since games and everything else have been getting fancier and fancier, an increase in delays is actually to be expected to a point. After all, it's much better to have to wait than to find something missing or otherwise.

Again, I don't know.

It's true that some games have been delayed in any generation, especially if they're big games.

But this generation has it especially bad. Again, this is tangential to Libra of the Vampire Princess. Producing a visual novel is different than producing a AAA game. Also, it seems that the game itself is done, what remains is just polish and details (like the market goods).

Anyway, a proper game needs a proper schedule. You might need an extra month or so, but not years. Most games that have been announced long ago aren't really in serious production (Death Stranding anyone?). Once again this doesn't apply to LOTVP. From what I've seen, it should have been delivered last Christmas, but the game seems done already.

4 hours ago, Okarin said:

Again, I don't know.

It's true that some games have been delayed in any generation, especially if they're big games.

But this generation has it especially bad. Again, this is tangential to Libra of the Vampire Princess. Producing a visual novel is different than producing a AAA game. Also, it seems that the game itself is done, what remains is just polish and details (like the market goods).

Anyway, a proper game needs a proper schedule. You might need an extra month or so, but not years. Most games that have been announced long ago aren't really in serious production (Death Stranding anyone?). Once again this doesn't apply to LOTVP. From what I've seen, it should have been delivered last Christmas, but the game seems done already.

Kabu's point is a good one, though: games are massively more complex now than they used to be. VNs, honestly, shouldn't be by as much since they aren't that much more complex than they used to be (generally), but if you look at the thing that's delaying them in the case of Libra, it's exactly the new technology they aren't familiar with: Steam features.

For AAA games, it's clearly the complexity that leads to this. Hundreds of people work on one AAA game at a time. Scheduling a single project with that many moving parts is exceptionally difficult, and when such a project undergoes a large directional change (which happens), turning that ship can easily mean years of setback and lost work. Alternatively, if they have that kind of directional change and then choose not to delay, and instead just ship what they can by repurposing their assets and building something with it, we end up with Destiny (that is, in fact, what happened to Destiny, and why the story is incoherent and basically non-existent).

Edited by Fred the Barber

Well I just hope it releases a month from here, maximum.

Do you people know if the 18+ patch will work with the Steam version? I suppose there has been barely any talk of 18+ patches. Will there be a Mangagamer or whatever publisher version, too?