ChronoClock's painful D.D

Thatcomicguy

After finishing up The Labyrinth of Grisaia I finally took the suggestions you all gave me on another post and started ChronoClock. I'm nearly done with my first route and I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far but D.D is just painful to deal with. Being a Brit myself her British quirks and speak patterns are shamefully out dated, like half a century out of date haha. But the worst is nearly every one of her sentences has Romaji text. Now I know sometimes when it's there she says the word in English but most times she doesn't, so it's hard to fully understand what she's saying. I can understand why they did it as it puts emphasis on her being a foreigner. But for those who don't understand Romaji it feels like you're skipping a lot of her stuff simply because you don't know what she's saying.

Besides that I'd give this game an 8/10 for what I've liked so far.  

maxresdefault.jpg

^ Oh, the infamous soap opera disease?

@OP - Get used to it, any country has it's stereotypes/misconceptions about foreigners that writers like to employ for the lulz. But the Japanese seem especially bad at this and I don't doubt translators struggle with how to approach it. Believe me it gets to me too at times. But at the end of the day I say let 'em. We could roast Japanese comedians over it but we already did that in WWII...

Too soon?

(unfunny) Joking aside, my point is stereotypes and funny voices are fair game. It's not exactly smart or witty but humor is subjective so... Besides, do you really want to be that guy that heckles and/or gets defensive when a standup comic pokes fun at some aspect/affiliation of yours? Usually the comic just turns up the heat on you.

I love Japan but sometimes you just have to shake your head and say, "Ohhhhhh Japan, stay classy".

*Disclaimer* I did laugh at the engrish in Grisaia so...

2 hours ago, EdwardWongHPTIV said:

^ Oh, the infamous soap opera disease?

I use to really fucking hate the "soap opera disease", but than I saw the ending of SAO season two and decided that it was a much better alternative.

5 hours ago, Thatcomicguy said:

Being a Brit myself her British quirks and speak patterns are shamefully out dated, like half a century out of date haha.

Well dealing with visual novels that have "foreign" characters one should not expect a realistic depiction, one should expect a character archetype. Just like how you are not going to find a "tsundere" or "coodere" out in the wild, you are not going to see "foreigner" archetype in real life. 

Also a Brit and D.Ds route made me want to headbutt a wall until I just skipped it.

VNs also have a thing for glorifying fish and chip shops, making them sound a lot fancier than any I've ever been too.

4 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Well dealing with visual novels that have "foreign" characters one should not expect a realistic depiction, one should expect a character archetype. Just like how you are not going to find a "tsundere" or "coodere" out in the wild, you are not going to see "foreigner" archetype in real life. 

I agree with this, it just feels like like Britain is chosen frequently in VNs for foreign character's home country, leaving me subjected to engrish and talk of scones far too often.

All true about the foreign stereotyping we see in these VN's so that's not really what bugs me. I mean sure it's cringy but it's the Romaji that's the most annoying with her as she's meant to say the English when we see the text so we at least know what she's saying most more often than not she doesn't, so it's the fact that unless you can understand Romaji you're pretty much going to get lost or feel like you're skipping stuff when you're not.

58 minutes ago, Tatsuya207 said:

VNs also have a thing for glorifying fish and chip shops, making them sound a lot fancier than any I've ever been too.

I agree with this, it just feels like like Britain is chosen frequently in VNs for foreign character's home country, leaving me subjected to English and talk of scones far too often.

I agree, with the constant English stereotypes being use in VN's to represent Britain in a more classy light than it really is. It would be really funny seeing a VN character with stereotypes of either the Welsh or the Scottish. Just picture the image a Japanese VN company trying to use the sheep-shagging stereotype of the Welsh or hearing a poor Japanese VA trying to do a Scottish accent while speaking Japanese would be too funny.

P.S as a Welshmen I will nether confirm nor deny the Sheep-shagging stereotyping the English gave because well... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

27 minutes ago, Thatcomicguy said:

I mean sure it's cringy but it's the Romaji that's the most annoying with her as she's meant to say the English when we see the text so we at least know what she's saying most more often than not she doesn't, so it's the fact that unless you can understand Romaji you're pretty much going to get lost or feel like you're skipping stuff when you're not.

If I'm remembering it right, the VA does say the English for whatever Romaji she says. Makes following along possible just a massive pain in the arse due to the difference between the translated text and what D.D is actually saying.

31 minutes ago, Thatcomicguy said:

P.S as a Welshmen I will nether confirm nor deny the Sheep-shagging stereotyping the English gave because well... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My judgement depends entirely on what sheep youre choosing.

n68IcjP.jpg

1 minute ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

D.D.'s dialogue is readable, it's just that the romaji is a problem if you're not that well versed in Japanese. You have to listen very carefully to D.D.'s voice so that you can understand the romaji because it corresponds to the English word she's saying. However I will say that it would've been better off if the translators just kept the English and not swapped it with romaji (and I do hope there's a future update that will fix that) because it really is a stupid move on their part.

Agreed it's even more annoying considering I scan read instead of how most people read so I've finished the sentence by the time she's spoken about three words despite how fast she speaks haha.

As a slight update I'll say half way through route number 3, the common route and Makoto's are really good but Michiru's route is so boring. I'm on Misaki's and it's nothing special and very slow paced, I purposely left D.D's last due to how annoying she is in the other routes but I think at this rate I'll drop this VN for now and read some else more interesting. I will go back and finish one day as I hate leaving things half done but right now I'm too bored of it as I really want to see Chronos's and Mu's route but meh for now.

After the Common and Makoto's route I'd of given it a 8/10 but now it's closer to a 5/10.

I don't know why it was recommended by so many people.

Edited by Thatcomicguy

1 hour ago, Thatcomicguy said:

As a slight update I'll say half way through route number 3, the common route and Makoto's are really good but Michiru's route is so boring. I'm on Misaki's and it's nothing special and very slow paced, I purposely left D.D's last due to how annoying she is in the other routes but I think at this rate I'll drop this VN for now and read some else more interesting. I will go back and finish one day as I hate leaving things half done but right now I'm too bored of it as I really want to see Chronos's and Mu's route but meh for now.

After the Common and Makoto's route I'd of given it a 8/10 but now it's closer to a 5/10.

I don't know why it was recommended by so many people.

Don't expect too much from Cro's route, as you'll probably not like it either. I'm struggling exactly with this problem, as Cro was the character I was hoping it would be incredible, but her route is disappointing in many different ways.

41 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Don't expect too much from Cro's route, as you'll probably not like it either. I'm struggling exactly with this problem, as Cro was the character I was hoping it would be incredible, but her route is disappointing in many different ways.

I had a feeling that was going to be the case when I looked up the CG gallery. I don't know why but I always end up spoiling some stuff by doing it with every VN I start but luckily with my memory I forgot but the time I get to it, but yeah from what I saw in the gallery it didn't look that interesting.

I know what you mean from the common route I was expecting Makoto to more mobster-ish like we saw her in the common route as opposed to the direction they took with her but I liked that really well either way but yeah. Misaki's route I was hoping for more from but alas.

At least stalling this gives me time to finish the side mini VN's of the Grisaia series and Magi Trials then I'll probably start on either Devil on the G-String or Harem Party because well... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 hour ago, Thatcomicguy said:

I had a feeling that was going to be the case when I looked up the CG gallery. I don't know why but I always end up spoiling some stuff by doing it with every VN I start but luckily with my memory I forgot but the time I get to it, but yeah from what I saw in the gallery it didn't look that interesting.

I know what you mean from the common route I was expecting Makoto to more mobster-ish like we saw her in the common route as opposed to the direction they took with her but I liked that really well either way but yeah. Misaki's route I was hoping for more from but alas.

At least stalling this gives me time to finish the side mini VN's of the Grisaia series and Magi Trials then I'll probably start on either Devil on the G-String or Harem Party because well... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I expected much from all of them. I think the common route was pretty funny and all the game's assets, both graphical and technical, it is a shame how it does not focus on the story at all. And it is not like they did not develop it to be moe or to grab steam sales - all characters simply deviate from their original idea and have their routes turned into something completely unbelievable from the start. I think my biggest disappointment was with Misaki, since it was just a second route for Michiru with a bad ending for her (as, obviously, you get with Misaki in her route). Speaking of Michiru, I NEVER got the idea of her being blind, as the game only reminds you she is when it is irrelevant. In some moments, her sprites seem to be looking at you, and from I know from real blinds, it is not how it is supposed to be.

Cro has more problems than that, and I cannot get why the hell they went the way they did. Even the beginning of it was great, with a huge plot twist and the characters being coherent to it, just to ignore everything as a whole and to put Cro as a brand new character who has nothing from the one we got to love. The worst thing is: the MC don't give a fuck about any of that, he only wants to date someone.

On a side note, D.D. was ironically the only route to stay true to its previous development.

Edited by Silvz

8 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Speaking of Michiru, I NEVER got the idea of her being blind, as the game only reminds you she is when it is irrelevant. In some moments, her sprites seem to be looking at you, and from I know from real blinds, it is not how it is supposed to be.

I hear you with that. It seems the writer forgot some details while doing her route as well, for example the common route explains obviously she can't text on her phone only do calls due to her lack of sight but in her own route she texts people no problem. The whole thing of her blindness felt disrespectful as it was handled so poorly the fact it was used just for a gimmick is even more noticeable. I mean look at

Katawa Shoujo that was created by a armature team and the way they handled blindness there was both respectful and heartwarming.

I can't stand all the British slang that is not in her route. Not to mention some bad grammar and wording I have never seen. Why not just use proper English for the entire TL, (unless their is a foreigner character like in this case). Words like grody, lout, lot, rubberneck etc.........Those are not proper English and drive me nuts.

17 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

'Lout' and 'lot' are proper English words.

Lout is slang and Lot is used differently. Proper would be "you folks" or "you guys" for Lot.   As far as "lout" there are many synonyms that look/sound better. Just because the British commonly use those words does not mean it is standard English for the rest of the world.

'Lout' isn't slang. If you look it up in the Merriam Webster (the dictionary Yanks like to use) you'll see they regard it as a normal noun. Words they regard as slang are marked as such. The usage of 'lout' doesn't seem to have decreased much over time either. If you consider it to be slang, you'd have to consider words like 'boor' to be slang also.

Lot also isn't slang, it's quite 'proper' (at least as much as 'folk' is.) I also prefer 'you lot' to 'you guys' (which has gender problems these days) or 'you folks' which just sounds like you're trying to hard. Actually you don't hear 'folk' as much outside of America, so if you're trying to find more geographically neutral language then I'd stay away from 'folk'.

I should also point out that I live in Australia and both 'lout' and 'lot' are common. Same in NZ. 

10 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Lot also isn't slang, it's quite 'proper' (at least as much as 'folk' is.) I also prefer 'you lot' to 'you guys' (which has gender problems these days) or 'you folks' which just sounds like you're trying to hard.

Although I prefer all 3 over the dreadful 'youse' ... thank you muchly whoever did that. I'm betting it was those descended from the Latin languages >:c

At the end of the day, all of these suggestions (lot, guys, people, folks, ... youse) are just ways to pluralise 'you'. There are tons of them and I don't regard one as better or more proper than the others (even though I regard one as worse than the rest.) Not slang, just a worldwide language phenomenon where people try to correct what they see as a deficiency in the word 'you' (no second-person plural.)

5 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Although I prefer all 3 over the dreadful 'youse' ... thank you muchly whoever did that. I'm betting it was those descended from the Latin languages >:c

At the end of the day, all of these suggestions (lot, guys, people, folks, ... youse) are just ways to pluralise 'you'. There are tons of them and I don't regard one as better or more proper than the others (even though I regard one as worse than the rest.) Not slang, just a worldwide language phenomenon where people try to correct what they see as a deficiency in the word 'you' (no second-person plural.)

I'm just here to point out that you forgot my homeland's preferred term, y'all, so I thought I ought to visit that horror upon you.