MMM: Murder Most Misfortunate [Murder][Mystery] Released

Foolish Mortals

TripleMHeader.jpg

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUlDO2Y4A8Y&feature=youtu.be

A gruesome murder interrupts an evening party at a secluded mansion and you are the prime suspect! Explore the mansion, search for clues, and interrogate the other guests as you strive to unmask the killer in this open-ended mystery.

MMM is a visual novel adventure with an open-ended mystery that puts your deductive skills to the test. A murder occurs in a secluded manor, and if you can't find the killer in time, you just might take the blame for the crime yourself! Gather information and search the house for clues as you form your own conclusions about the evening's mysterious events.

FEATURES

• Multiple Endings: Finding the true killer is ideal, of course, but maybe building a plausible case against one of the other characters is good enough to get you off the hook!
  • Unique and Compelling Characters: Play as Miss Fortune, a delightfully caustic anti-heroine who has already been widowed nine times. But this time, she didn't do it (really!), and she'll have to solve the mystery herself to prove it!
  • Immersive Story: Sharply written dialog full of choices ensures a thoroughly immersive narrative.
  • Voice-acting: Each character is fully voiced, with over 1700 voiced lines throughout the game!
  • Beautiful Visuals: Detailed, searchable backgrounds and slick visual effects like rain, fog and variable lighting enhance the aesthetic experience.
  • Time runs Short: The incompetent police are on their way. Better solve the mystery before they arrive, lest they come to their own (wrong) conclusions.

ss_1b664db1034ea4263c6bf8d907993ad056ac7e9f.600x338.jpg?t=1493658267

---

MMM is available for Windows, Mac & Linux in English, Spanish and Italian.

Check it out on Steam | Itch.io

We have a demo! Demo on Steam | Demo on Itch.io | Demo on IndieDB

The game features full voice-acting throughout, and has some exploration elements as you gather evidence. At the end of the game, everyone gathers in the parlour, and you can accuse anyone of the crime. The tough part is making that accusation stick.

It's taken almost 2 years to develop this game, and I think it's turned out pretty well. The script was written by my brother, and the art was done by a friend. 

The game was made in Unity, as we wanted to include some extra gameplay that wasn't possible in other visual novel engines. I actually wrote my own framework for it.

ss_dbd2c519a27c86cbfe820125b7384b98f94d7

Edited by Foolish Mortals

On 4/19/2017 at 2:31 PM, Novel21 said:

Wow MMM look very amazing and it's one VN I love to read since I'm huge fan of Murder mystery:D

So I'm going to buy MMM when it comes out:D

Thank you for making MMM for us to like Murder Mystery^_^

Thanks! We also love the murder mystery genre, especially those British murder mystery TV shows like Poirot or Miss Marple.

The text size of the main dialogue window can be adjusted in the Pause menu (hit escape). The text in the logs are small, I agree. The larger the size of the text in the log, the more scrolling the user needs to do if they want to look back a ways. Certainly a tradeoff.

I didn't finish the demo, but I decided I had enough.

It's an interesting though overdone premise. Reminds me a little of Umineko even. The writing is nice too though there are some mistakes (taking about a left leg but referring to it as a right leg).

Each of the characters has a unique persona to them. But the main character is too damn annoying, she's too sarcastic about EVERYTHING and she's not funny. It's even more frustrating because she's actually voiced and listening to sarcasm can only be taken so far.

Speaking of which, the voice acting is good and it was finally cool to play something with English voices. I also liked that the narration is fully voiced as well. It helps because the text is hard to read because of the font and the size of the text itself. Even on max text size.

On a technical side, I hate that I have to click on the text box to advance the text (if you're using Fungus it's a feature very easy to fix). The investigation parts are cool as well but why can't I just drag the screen instead of moving the mouse to either edge of the screen (once again, if you're using Fungus this is very easily fixed)?

On the visual side the characters all look great, I also liked that the game has lip syncing but why do their lips move when they are thinking?

The backgrounds are too damn dark, I could barely see anything. It's a shame because the drawings look really good and some are even panoramic which is really impressive.

Overall, I think this is a good game and a good direction for English original vns. But I couldn't get over these issues. The main character got less and less likable and I had to drop the demo.

Edited by fun2novel

Thanks for your feedback, fun2novel. I actually wrote my own Asset and my own code for the lip syncing.

We decided we didn't want a bland protagonist like you see in many other VN's, and gave Miss Fortune a strong personality. Humour is very subjective, so it's hard to write a character that everyone will find funny.

A skip button is a very good idea, and I'll look into screen dragging.

In a few of the scenes where MF is thinking, there are other characters around, so we decided her lips should move as another way of highlighting who it is that's speaking (or thinking aloud).

The backgrounds are indeed dark, but perhaps your monitor's brightness settings might be a bit too low? Not sure. Haven't had any other people mention this problem.

Again, thanks for your very detailed feedback!

On 2017/5/6 at 9:27 PM, Foolish Mortals said:

Thanks for your feedback, fun2novel. I actually wrote my own Asset and my own code for the lip syncing.

Oh wow, that's impressive. The price is pretty good too for something so useful.

We decided we didn't want a bland protagonist like you see in many other VN's, and gave Miss Fortune a strong personality. Humour is very subjective, so it's hard to write a character that everyone will find funny.

Can't really argue with that. I'm sure most people will like her far more than I did.

In a few of the scenes where MF is thinking, there are other characters around, so we decided her lips should move as another way of highlighting who it is that's speaking (or thinking aloud).

It's been a while since I played it but don't you highlight those characters that speak? Why can't you just highlight the character that is doing the thinking? It's not a huge deal, just a nitpick I guess, lol.

The backgrounds are indeed dark, but perhaps your monitor's brightness settings might be a bit too low? Not sure. Haven't had any other people mention this problem.

Maybe it is too dark. But everything else seems ok so I'm not sure if it's the game or my monitor.

Anyway, good luck with the game and wish you lots of success. I would like to see what else you will do in the future.