Which did you prefer better Majikoi or Grisaia?

Thatcomicguy

You could take your pick based on the first games in each series or them as a whole between Maji De Watashi Ni Koi (Majikoi for short) or The Fruit of Grisaia as the second *Third as well for Grisaia* and the spins off were more fan service than full storied routes. (Wording it like that doesn't really seem right as they were and weren't but you know what I mean.)

For me they where both 9/10 VN's full of amazing characters which felt real *A lot of VN's fail at getting both of those down normally it's one or the other*, Unique yet fitting beautiful art work and so in depth and gripping routes full of heart, tragedy and comedic moments. 

I find myself swinging more Majikoi's way as I found it addicting to read and couldn't put it down. While Fruit was more stop and start due to it feeling quite like a slow burner in some routes. Amane's was the most obvious of this for me as -

Spoiler

During her route when she tells Yūji her story of what happened to her with the crash and Yūji's sister, it brought the whole thing down to a snail's pace, doing the day by day events for the whole two weeks that kinda broke the immersion. Keeping the pace would of been easier if each day got more to the point instead of the filler or just skipped a few days now and then as after all she is telling us this story so it's more realistic to forgot/leave out some things not really necessary. But the main thing that made Amane's route the weak point of an otherwise 10/10 VN was all the other routes are tragedies and her's starts that way then 180's and goes in a more horror direction so it feels really out of place even more.  

Besides that rating Fruit in terms of my love for the characters and the routes it would be.

1. Yumiko 

2. Michiru 

3. Makina 

4. Sachi

5. Amane

Majikoi would be -

1. Momoyo

Spoiler

The Kawakami War/Battle *forgot which* of her route so fun and amazing

2. Agave

3. Chris

4. Wanko

5. Yukie

6. Miyako

Majikoi other sub routes with the guys and other class mates *teacher included* where great too but some where a little boring which kept it at a 9/10 for me.

Huh, I liked Grisaia more (although this is just based on the first games of each series).

I couldn't ever really get into majikoi. The routes were all pretty fun, but they weren't super immersive for me. Kind of on and off. As for rating they probably all rate about the same for me. Maybe I liked Wanko's route a little more than the others.

I really enjoyed Grisaia though so I'm pretty biased, but this is what this thread is for right?

I would rate the routes as: Amane = Makina < Yumiko < Sachi = Michiru. Although in reality they're all pretty close. 

Between these two series I'll always pick Majikoi, not because I disliked Grisaia or anything of the sort but I just happen to love the Majikoi series as a whole and it's cast of characters. There are so many of them that I like that in order to rank them I'd have to think for a good while about it.

With Grisaia It's a bit easier:

- Asako

- Yumiko

- JB

- Michiru

- Amane

- Sachi

- Makina

with all that out of the way I will only say that they're two series I personally really enjoy.

Grisaia is sort of ok, I never really understood why it received all the praise. And it's not that I dislike that sort of story, quite the contrary in fact. It's just... only good, not great.

Majikoi I loved, on the other hand. Loved the art, the style, the characters, everything. That VN could always make me laugh, always.

If anything, I see the grisaia series as more dramatic than majikoi. Given that every heroine, and the protagonist also, has a traumatic past that led her to that academy.

In majikoi's case, is a more entertaining VN with lots of actions and surprising out comes. I personally prefer majikoi. The agave route was simply amazing, and also found wanko's and chris' route with the drama dosis I like in a VN this long.

5 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Me? Maybe Majikoi if only at least it had proper true routes in the first VN, instead of spreading it across two sequels like Grisaia (And Kajitsu didn't even had aftermentioned 'true route'). Although I think both of those were had some good points though.

Wouldn't the agave route be considered some sort of true route ?? 

26 minutes ago, Benji Price said:

I don't think so.  It's not the starting point in Majikoi S (or any of the A's, as far as I know), and generally the true route is the point the sequels start from.  There's nothing that really indicates that it's a true route, it's just unlocked last.

59 minutes ago, Benji Price said:

i think what littleshogun is saying is that the true route for majikoi was in the first vn unlike grisaia which doesnt really have one in the first one.

36 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

I don't think so.  It's not the starting point in Majikoi S (or any of the A's, as far as I know), and generally the true route is the point the sequels start from.  There's nothing that really indicates that it's a true route, it's just unlocked last.

i think it is the true route of majikoi 1 while the other vns are mostly just fandisks? idk, its hard to tell at this point. there are so many routes in so many different vns with majikoi its hard to tell whats real and what isnt. ill send mayumayu to investigate.

20216.jpg

1 hour ago, Zenophilious said:

You have a good point there. Maybe rather than a "true" route would it a be the "main" route ? To me it was the route that gathered the most relevant story regarding the Kazami family's history. 

• 2 weeks later...

Both were great. 

Majikoi had a fun, giant cast of characters whom were all so fun yet insane. Chris is probably the most adorable thing in the world during her route, right there with Wanko. Fights were definitely fun so long as Momoyo wasn't involved (except in one or two cases) and I don't recall actually disliking any one character, only liking others a bit more. Kuki Hideo and his theme are a godsend. Only problem Majikoi has is that most routes that aren't for the main heroines don't really amount to anything but H-scenes. I was really hoping for a better Kokoro route. :C 

Grisaia on the other hand... 

I enjoy Yamato as a protagonist quite a bit. But Yuuji is on another level. A lot of the better comedy in Grisaia in my opinion is just when you're listening to his thoughts. His pondering about beans is the first thing that comes to mind. While not as big a cast as Majikoi, I didn't dislike any heroines at all. Yumiko was my least favorite, but she wasn't bad. The only problem was that some of the routes weren't so great. Sachi's in particular. But I understand that it is important to look both ways when crossing a road so I don't mind they used her route as a PSA. While the pacing did die down quite a bit, I preferred Amane's the most. I prefer Amane the most so maybe that's why?

I would say that Grisaia is my preferred, but only by a little. Again, both were great. 

Edited by FamishedPants

Grisaia is a mix between SoL comedy (which is quite masterful) and shifts gears into serious drama (which it still nails more often than not).

Majikoi at it's core, is a comedy and also a parodic celebration of everything anime; It Lampshades tropes, points out it's own absurdities and breaks the fourth wall frequently for entertainment. 

Since this thread is asking purely for preference, I go with Majikoi simply because I enjoy Comedies more than Drama. 

I have to note though, that the Majikoi series stopped/slowed the parody elements down with S, A, the anime and whatever how many spin-offs there were. In the original Majikoi, the fighting stuff wasn't actually all that important to the tone, it just served as a vehicle to push the script (speaking; characters and comedy) along. Majikoi 1 wouldn't feel any different if you replaced the martial arts setting with sports, music or even a trading card game.

With S, the series started to take the fighting seriously , which is kind of lost me. I don't harbor as high of an opinion towards S and A because of that (and other, more objective factors).

Also can't talk for the other two Grisaia games. One isn't translated yet and the other one I haven't finished (and probably won't anytime soon), due to how little the actual plot of Grisaia interests me personally.

On 4/14/2017 at 7:38 PM, mitchhamilton said:

i think it is the true route of majikoi 1 while the other vns are mostly just fandisks? idk, its hard to tell at this point. there are so many routes in so many different vns with majikoi its hard to tell whats real and what isnt. ill send mayumayu to investigate.

The incredibly well received anime adaptation reveals that Hermit Crabs are in fact the absolute and true ending to the series. 

FbBVDtm.jpg

On 28.04.2017 at 8:52 PM, TexasDice said:

Grisaia is a mix between SoL comedy (which is quite masterful) and shifts gears into serious drama (which it still nails more often than not).

Majikoi at it's core, is a comedy and also a parodic celebration of everything anime; It Lampshades tropes, points out it's own absurdities and breaks the fourth wall frequently for entertainment.

A agree with you here. And because of that, as a whole i vote for Grisaia. But exactly as a whole, if i have to look at all 3 main VNs in Grisaia series and all parts of Majikoi. Though i read only first 2 VNs in both series, but that's enough for me to pick my favorite one. BUT! If i have to pick every game and choose exactly one to be "the best" in my opinion, that would be quite difficult. Because, as already been said above, Majikoi almost completely consists of comedy stuff and entertainment (with fighting been a part of it) and Grisaia switches comedy and plot, which i personally find a very interesting one. Besides, plot in Grisaia is far from entertainment to begin with, especially in its second game. Both series i like very much.

And in Majikoi i find original game my top choice. It was almost (if not completely) ideal for me. It is it, where all my favorite heroines are. There are many other girls who were added in S, A, etc. But original ones are the best. In terms of love for them, my order would be like this (from most favorite one): Miyako - Yukie - Chris - Wanko - Momoyo. Miyako is absolutely the best - well, you could guess, seeing my avatar and all xD Momoyo is quite enjoyable sight in fighting but... yeah))

In terms of that, in Grisaia my list would be: Amane, Michiru, Yumiko (can't choose) - Sachi - Makina. Exactly that. I just can't choose between those three, they are very good in its own right, but very different one from the other. Speaking of plot, i guess i liked Amane's one the most. Every time i remember it, a thought like "Yeeeeah, THAT was something pretty tough. Some unforgettable moments to say the least" flies in my head. That was truly enjoyable route.

Spoiler

And Kazuki is absolutely the best girl here, if we choose between all girls and not just love interest ones.

Well, it was a bit of sidetracking, but still. Speaking of plot, i like Grisaia more. Speaking of entertainment, i vote for Majikoi. Well, maybe it was actually pretty obvious from the beginning but.... And yeah, I said about Majikoi, but speaking of what ONE game i have to choose in Grisaia series, FOR A WHILE it would be "Grisaia no Kajitsu" with Meikyuu slightly behind it. Why is that? First of all, because in Meikyuu those "after story" we see pretty obvious doesn't have a part in overall story, it just for fun and fan)) But in terms of actual plot, i enjoyed it quiet a much, didn't think i would finish it so quickly as it happened. And for that "FOR A WHILE" part. That's just because i'm still patiently waiting for 18+ "Grisaia no Rakuen".

On 28.04.2017 at 8:52 PM, TexasDice said:

I have to note though, that the Majikoi series stopped/slowed the parody elements down with S, A, the anime and whatever how many spin-offs there were. In the original Majikoi, the fighting stuff wasn't actually all that important to the tone, it just served as a vehicle to push the script (speaking; characters and comedy) along. Majikoi 1 wouldn't feel any different if you replaced the martial arts setting with sports, music or even a trading card game.

With S, the series started to take the fighting seriously , which is kind of lost me.

That, and i have to say, starting from Majikoi S, series began to fade for me (well, i can't even finish the game for almost 3 years, if not more, so yeah). There were too much H-scenes in "S", almost zero entertainment, funny stuff and fighting, and pretty often i realized that somewhere in my head there was this thought: "Oh, God, when will this end already?" Speaking of "A-1", "A-2" etc. I even don't wanna bother to read them at all. Although, it seems Minatosoft listened to the critics and actually made A-parts more like first game, but... sorry. I guess, more characters is not always for the best. I understand, why they did it, but still... In first game, even when we started someone's route, other main girls (and not only them) continued to appear in plot, making it more interesting and enjoyable to read. In "S" that unfortunately was not the case. We continued to see some of other characters, but it was for such a short time, that they could not make an appearance as well, no one would never notice. And what made problem worse - it is far more characters to choose from. More characters -> less time for them to appear, if this time exists in the first place. Personally, i don't like route when i almost don't see other characters at all and all i got - it is a H-scenes marathon...

So, to conclude it all:

1). Series as a whole - Grisaia;

2). Picking one game from series - Grisaia no Kajitsu (until Rakuen at least) and 1st Majikoi. Let's call it a draw here.

Well, that's it. Sorry for a lot of text.