What counts as shameless promotion?

InvertMouse

Man, such a click-baity title :vinty:.

As some of you know, I released Unhack 2 recently. People who gave the game a chance mostly enjoyed it, but I had a hard time with discoverability. I hate shameless plugs, and I wanted to do the show-don't-tell thing, so maybe I was naive.

Currently, I am working on The Last Birdling. I pour my life into these games (the earliest ones embarrassingly bad), so I don't want to pretend they're just for fun anymore. Still, I don't want to cross the line. Different forums have different rules, after all. The Fuwanovel forums are pretty kind and generous in terms of guidelines. Can I throw a couple of questions out and see what you think?

1) If we have a new project to announce, should we restrict it to the Original VN Projects section, or can we post about it on Visual Novels Discussion? Is it a case where if it is a Western VN, it can only sit in the Original VN Projects section? Big Japanese releases clearly are allowed in Visual Novels Discussion. I am happy to follow the rules if everybody else does the same, but yeah, I would like to know what the situation is.

2) Do we have issues with creators plugging projects as their very first post on these forums? There are places where that will constitute an instant warning or even ban. Actually, I guess this one doesn't apply in my case since I've loitered here for a while now.

3) I want to write up some articles related to my upcoming games, which also links to bigger discussions. Is it okay with you guys if I shared them on this board? Hopefully I'll come up with something worthwhile (while sneakily talking about myself which shames me so much) along the way.

Thank you so much for allowing me to be honest guys. Hopefully you won't find this annoying. I've cared deeply about my work for many years and really want my situation to improve :notlikemiya:.

You can create your own blog on Fuwa and write about everything from promoting your games, articles, thoughts about other games and visual novels and whatever comes up. One of the things I would like to read about is your creative process. What is your workflow from ideas to an actual product. How do you come with ideas and then write stories. All kinds of things.

Making a new thread to advertise your new game is good but if you want to have some freedom a blog is a nice way to do it. You can have a link to your blog so people don't miss it.

Edited by fun2novel

I would say just try to do that by yourself (I mean posting your original VN thread at VN Talk section), because to tell the truth I didn't knew the regulation about that. Although I could tell one thing though that most of the users here didn't really had problem with that. That's all I could say for now, and good luck to your project.

Pretty sure there are little to no restrictions over here on advertising your own game. We've had VN devs in the past loading this place with discussion about their VNs. I remember blacksands entertainment in particular making a thread every week or so at some point about their game.

But that's really what a lot of us are here for: To talk about VNs. As long as you're not overspamming the forums, any advertising from your part will be more than welcome. I'm sure I'm speaking for a lot of us here when I say we'd like to see you talk a bit more about your games Inverse. I think you only post about your games when they release/ are near release. 

Questions like: What inspired you to make this particular VN? Are ones I'd be very interested to have you and other developers answer, even if it may seem like ya'll are just promoting yourselves when you do.

It could just be that I'm a fan of yours and that I have no qualms with shamelessly promoting my own stuff :P

20 hours ago, InvertMouse said:

1) If we have a new project to announce, should we restrict it to the Original VN Projects section, or can we post about it on Visual Novels Discussion? Is it a case where if it is a Western VN, it can only sit in the Original VN Projects section? Big Japanese releases clearly are allowed in Visual Novels Discussion. I am happy to follow the rules if everybody else does the same, but yeah, I would like to know what the situation is.

2) Do we have issues with creators plugging projects as their very first post on these forums? There are places where that will constitute an instant warning or even ban. Actually, I guess this one doesn't apply in my case since I've loitered here for a while now.

3) I want to write up some articles related to my upcoming games, which also links to bigger discussions. Is it okay with you guys if I shared them on this board? Hopefully I'll come up with something worthwhile (while sneakily talking about myself which shames me so much) along the way.

1: I'd keep the announcement thread in Original VN Projects, but some people post their threads in VN Talk and I don't touch them, simply because there's no hard quarantine rule that I'm aware of.  I'd make one announcement thread and make another discussion thread in VN Talk if I were you.  Having an announcement/update thread that doubles as a discussion thread kinda gets messy, at least if there's enough activity.

2: Nope.  Nobody cares.  Happens all the time.

3: Sure, feel free  ^_^  You could make a blog, and also link to your blog articles in the discussion threads for your individual games.