Looking for a plant for my house

1 minute ago, Funyarinpa said:

You could look at carnivorous plants. Or you could get a bonsai tree.

I had a Venus fly trap a long time ago, it was one of the bigger ones you can get, and the bonsai trees from what I have seen take a lot of grooming, and I don't have much time to groom things, i was looking from one that would grow really curvy and snake like so I could add some nice color and some much needed pizzazz or whatever to my bland home 

Bamboo species don't grow curves naturally.  Similar to bonsai, they have to be carefully directed to grow that way.  It is a serious pain in the ass... believe me.  When I went through my fascination with bamboo, I had a bunch of long planters in which I was growing bamboo art.  It looked pretty, but I had to make constant minor adjustments to the clamps, rods, and other crap I was using to direct its growth.  Also, you can't grow bamboo in a non-enclosed (enclosed beneath the soil as well) area without it invading the surrounding area and turning it into a bamboo forest...

Honestly, for something curvy, you could always resort to setting up a trellis in a room with sun exposure and get ivy to grow up it.  That requires a bit more water than I'd recommend where I live though...  If you live in an area with low water costs, it is workable though.  My aunt did that, and it was a good room to read a book or listen to music with headphones in.

edit: Incidentally, I love bamboo.  The sprouts taste good pickled (edible species), it makes decent flooring, and properly seasoned rods are perfect for simple fishing poles due to their flexibility.  However, as a plant to grow at home, you can get in serious trouble if you don't limit its ability to expand, depending on the area you live in.  In some places in the US, you can end up with huge fines as well as having to pay for the removal of the root system if you don't keep it from expanding off of your property.

Edited by Clephas

29 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchidaceae

You could always get yourself a mandrake too :makina:

I already have an orchid 

25 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Bamboo species don't grow curves naturally.  Similar to bonsai, they have to be carefully directed to grow that way.  It is a serious pain in the ass... believe me.  When I went through my fascination with bamboo, I had a bunch of long planters in which I was growing bamboo art.  It looked pretty, but I had to make constant minor adjustments to the clamps, rods, and other crap I was using to direct its growth.  Also, you can't grow bamboo in a non-enclosed (enclosed beneath the soil as well) area without it invading the surrounding area and turning it into a bamboo forest...

Honestly, for something curvy, you could always resort to setting up a trellis in a room with sun exposure and get ivy to grow up it.  That requires a bit more water than I'd recommend where I live though...  If you live in an area with low water costs, it is workable though.  My aunt did that, and it was a good room to read a book or listen to music with headphones in.

edit: Incidentally, I love bamboo.  The sprouts taste good pickled (edible species), it makes decent flooring, and properly seasoned rods are perfect for simple fishing poles due to their flexibility.  However, as a plant to grow at home, you can get in serious trouble if you don't limit its ability to expand, depending on the area you live in.  In some places in the US, you can end up with huge fines as well as having to pay for the removal of the root system if you don't keep it from expanding off of your property.

I might get a trellis 

23 hours ago, Akimoto Masato said:

My house seems rather dull so in response to this, I want a plant, a nice house plant that grows into a weird or interesting  shape

any suggestions?

ZZ Plant or Snake Plant, I like these the most since they need very little light and care.

1 hour ago, Okarin said:

That's too depressing. A bit of work doesn't destroy people.

It really depends on how you see things and how much work we are talking about after considering how you spend your time. I would not have the time to take care of a plant and there are almost no differences to real ones, except that if you don't water it, it will wither. Everything else for me is the same, and Masato only want one for decoration.

On 4/8/2017 at 3:17 PM, Silvz said:

It really depends on how you see things and how much work we are talking about after considering how you spend your time. I would not have the time to take care of a plant and there are almost no differences to real ones, except that if you don't water it, it will wither. Everything else for me is the same, and Masato only want one for decoration.

Id prefer an alive plant