Spring 2017 Anime Discussion

ittaku

4 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I'll be honest, I don't really remember Aldnoah Zero that well. I only watched it once and was soo thoroughly disgusted by it that I tried to forget everything about the show

I'm the opposite. I disliked it so much that I can't forget it.

5 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

he only thing I really remember about Slaine is that he constantly makes poor decisions based on his infatuation with the princess.

I think it was 30% his bad decisions at most. Most of it is that Slaine in S1 at least has some of the worst luck I've ever seen. In S2 he gets better since he starts to grow past his whole princess infatuation.

7 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I don't know if "boring" is the correct terminology he is such a non-presence in the show

That's definitely a better way of putting it

By far this week, Re:Creators managed to stole my heart.

Not because of this week's episode. No no, not by far. The weird thing is I find that although this week's episode is definitely the best out of all but episode 1, other shows episodes for this week are definitely still better than Re:Creators. Examples are the jaw dropping AoT latest episode, the hype that BnH S2 brings in for next week's episode and hell, even the crazy comedy that Eromanga pumps out.

But Re:Creators still stole my heart. Why? Well I have to tell you a little short story that could blow your minds... hopefully (not clickbait, I promise. Also spoiler to the latest episode).

Around 6 hours ago, I just finished watching Re:Creators latest episode and I continued surfing through youtube and niconico finding funny cat videos for needless entertainment as usual, when I suddenly stumbled upon this video in niconico. I watched and well, to may dismay, there's not much for this 30 second video and honestly there isn't anything that's remotely entertaining. "It's just a small short video of the logo from the latest episode from a fan of the series", is what I thought...

And then I find out the uploaded date of the video...

4 days prior to the episode air date...

And then I find out the meaning of the uploader's name....

シマザキセツナ literally translates to Shimazaki Setsuna

...And for a brief 5 seconds, my entire body receives a bone-chilling amazement that skip my heart once and produce more cold sweat than any plot twist I've ever seen in any entertainment medium. In those brief 5 seconds my brain goes completely haywire and started contemplating the possibilities that the event of Re:Creators are actually happening right now in Japan but are completely undocumented and unknown to anyone due to some weird new characters with weird powers capable of altering all known information of the event and the only way to inform the entire world that this is happening is by creating an anime out of it in hopes that people realizes that this isn't a fiction and that all other means of expressing information has failed outside of airing the anime and that one exact video.

It took me another 10 seconds before realizing and convincing myself that this is obviously just a marketing move from the marketing department of the anime's production staff. IMO it probably is the smartest marketing ploy for an anime I have ever seen in my life (please correct me if an anime ever tried to pull this kind of advertising before Re:Creators).

In all things considered, it doesn't seem too impressive when you think about it again, but for me it is one heck of an attention to detail that simply managed to successfully elevates the level of meta that this show is trying to achieve, even though this isn't coming from the show itself.

Oh and P.S. I did double check that this Shimazaki Setsuna along with the logo does not appear in the preview from last week's episode. It is completely legit a viral marketing stunt by the staff themselves.

And there you have it. Maybe one or two of you already found out about this extra easter egg but for those that didn't I hope I blew your mind a bit.

Edited by Jibril

Well, finally defeated my laziness and watched episodes 1-5 of Re:Creators, and oh boy is it good. I was scared for a second during the first episode, thinking they might completely dodge the issue of the conflicted feelings that characters would have, but the show has proved it's not gonna avoid it at all.

Also, that scene from episode 2 with the magical girl realizing she just injured someone and wrecked part of the city was really strong, real quality narrative there.

Spoiler

On a more personal and biased note, I really dislike the resource of the enemy fooling people with flawed and baseless logic to make the "good ones" fight each other. I understand that it makes sense in the show and that it's not a bad resource in any way, but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine, so I hope that this particular conflict will get resolved soon.

Watched the available episodes of Eromanga-sensei, instead of studying for finals, and was thoroughly disappointed...... in myself. I enjoyed this show much more than any other this season and that's just fucking disgusting. 

I'm quite curious about the motivations behind Tsukasa Fushimi in creating this shit. Like did he write the story as an attempt to create a version of Oreimo that doesn't result in fans sending him death threats? Or maybe he is a one trick pony who can't write anything else..... and which of these is sadder? 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

19 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Watched the available episodes of Eromanga-sensei, instead of studying for finals, and was thoroughly disappointed...... in myself. I enjoyed this show much more than any other this season and that's just fucking disgusting. 

I'm quite curious about the motivations behind Tsukasa Fushimi in creating this shit. Like did he write the story as an attempt to create a version of Oreimo that doesn't result in fans sending him death threats? Or maybe he is a one trick pony who can't write anything else..... and which of these is sadder? 

I like sagiri 

i watched whatever the fuck that season is, shit, I forgot, when I remember I'll come back and edit it in

Edited by Akimoto Masato
Misspelled word

1 hour ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I'd say the second one... found smth that works for the public, and that's it, I guess.

1 minute ago, Swim Swim said:

Based on S1 I dont have any faith, that they doing well. Maincast pretty much untouchable.

Pretty much. After S1 I jumped on the manga cuz several of the mysteries from the story made me quite curious, but I was quite disappointed. Since the problem is on the story itself, I doubt the anime can do anything to really "fix" it.

20 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Pretty much. After S1 I jumped on the manga cuz several of the mysteries from the story made me quite curious, but I was quite disappointed. Since the problem is on the story itself, I doubt the anime can do anything to really "fix" it.

Then everything as expected, the manga is no better, I guess the whole story flawed to its very core. Though after S1 I had no intention to watch S2 anyway, still mystery why so beloved. 

On 2017-5-13 at 0:20 AM, Swim Swim said:

Then everything as expected, the manga is no better, I guess the whole story flawed to its very core. Though after S1 I had no intention to watch S2 anyway, still mystery why so beloved. 

Don't you hate it when something is really popular out there and everyone raves about it, yet you can't for the life of you see the entertainment value in it and don't like it at all? It's strange the way taste is like that.

However I'm glad this time I'm actually on the other side of the fence. I'm loving Attack on Titan Season 2 even more than I liked the first one. It's brilliant entertainment (to me.)

5 hours ago, ittaku said:

Don't you hate it when something is really popular out there and everyone raves about it, yet you can't for the life of you see the entertainment value in it and don't like it at all? It's strange the way taste is like that.

However I'm glad this time I'm actually on the other side of the fence. I'm loving Attack on Titan Season 2 even more than I liked the first one. It's brilliant entertainment (to me.)

Oh no, it's quite entertaining alright (or so I guess).

My problem here is that I already know what's going to happen due to reading the manga (which disappointed me) so, taking out the shock value of the show, you are left with a product that I believe isn't very good.

1 minute ago, Jun Inoue said:

My problem here is that I already know what's going to happen due to reading the manga (which disappointed me) so, taking out the shock value of the show, you are left with a product that I believe isn't very good.

This, Personally im not even watching the anime.
The manga is a pretty big disappointment not because people stop dying but because the story and narrative just broke down and at this point im also considering dropping the manga.

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

1 hour ago, havoc said:

This, Personally im not even watching the anime.
The manga is a pretty big disappointment not because people stop dying but because the story and narrative just broke down and at this point im also considering dropping the manga.

Well that sounds very disappointing but luckily I'm not inclined to read the manga and simply can enjoy it right up to the point where it fails in anime. 

1 minute ago, ittaku said:

Well that sounds very disappointing but luckily I'm not inclined to read the manga and simply can enjoy it right up to the point where it fails in anime. 

Considering S2 is 12 episodes, I think you won't even get close to it. So you'll have your enjoyment. :meguface:

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

Considering S2 is 12 episodes, I think you won't even get close to it. So you'll have your enjoyment. :meguface:

Yeah I figured as much, but given how popular S2 is, there will no doubt (one day) be an S3. I didn't really understand why S2 is only 12 episodes anyway. Always with anime funding/programming choices weird shit going on, there be.

Just now, ittaku said:

Yeah I figured as much, but given how popular S2 is, there will no doubt (one day) be an S3. I didn't really understand why S2 is only 12 episodes anyway. Always with anime funding/programming choices weird shit going on, there be.

No idea, really. Especially since AoT is generally a safe bet. Maybe they only wanted to remind the world that it exists so that people get into buying the manga again.

attack on titan - lots of cool shit happening, really exiting 

eromanga sensei - i really like the animation, adds so much to the characters

also 
sOVJLfKh.jpg

heroine - i like her with long hair. oh and other stuff happening with the blonde. (her character is boring af.)

7 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Fffffff of fucking course Re:Creators had to go with the classic dumb shit of "Oh no, I found smth of critical importance, better hide it from my friends and allies until it's too late! Because that's how real people act!"

Well actually....... that aint to far off the mark

• 3 weeks later...
On 2-6-2017 at 0:02 AM, Jun Inoue said:

Well, at least the last scene of Re:Creators 8 kinda saved this plot point, cuz oh boy is the MC ruining it. It's also a bit boring that the antagonist works on a classical dumb notion, but oh well.

Funny, i still disagree with you on there.

And personally i consider him hiding what he found still a very reasonable reaction.
Seeing as how he clearly does not feel part of the ground and from the looks of it is might also be suffering from depression.

Why the hell i would tell half of to the pink blob i just cant figure out, might be bacuse to him she is an outsider and has nothing to do with him.

Spoiler

Although i'm not so sure about the death in episode nine at first i considered her to be a pretty annoying character but she kinda grew on me.

Edited by havoc