Spring 2017 Anime Discussion

ittaku

There is a handful of stuff that I’ve gravitated to. Doesn’t seem like a trash fire of a season, yet.  
Heroine – Yes. 
Eromanga sensei – I hate myself because I like it.
Attack on Titan – That latest episode was the first time I have been excited thus far in the series. 
Renai Boukun – Very dumb but I dig it. 
Tsugumomo – Okay 
Majutsu Koushi – Shite but watchable. 
Re:Creators – Seems decent? 
Busou Shoujo – Don’t like the castration of all the males in the school but it seems fine. Something to turn off the brain while watching.  

7 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

But there was nothing that got me really excited, not like the past several seasons, than I finally got to the end of my short list and watched Re:creators....... FUCK YESSSSSSSS. The first episode didn't quite get me hyped, but the second with the opening hinting at the future of the show and that exchange with the magical girl character, got me squeeing like a stuck pig. If this anime turns out shit, I think lasting damage will occur to my heart:kosame:

I really like recreators too. Probably one of, if not the, best new series this season (once all the sequels are trimmed from the list.)

I have watched two episodes of the Royal Tutor one a whim (aka the Tutor's garb looked great).

Spoiler

I... really like it, actually. A couple of confessions: When I first heard about this one, I thought most of the characters were girls. Idea quickly dispelled. However, it was only until reading a bit about it that I noticed the main character was actually a male. Prefer it that way, but did not expect it.

The premise is right up my alley. I absolutely love anything involving teachers, so that's a plus. It's also set in a court, and "daily life on the court" is one of my favourite settings. Nothing like a good premise to get me excited.
Then it went and got even more details right. First of all, the protagonist is of short stature, and that's hilarious. Better yet, they made sure to cast his voice actor as a clear adult, so no issue on that front. And said voice actor? Excellent. He is both exceedingly polite, as behoves him, and mostly deadpan. Personality? The best. He holds a mix of "No-Nonsense" attitude with surprisingly childish attitude at times. Finally, he's got some mystery behind him and is motivated by self interest. I loved the way he frankly didn't care for the princes' spiel about how they didn't like him. He's not there to be liked, you see?
The princes are, in fact, standard otome/shoujo tropes, but that works fine for me. Just know that it's the tutor that carries the show in my eyes.

I feel that there are even better things to come. Putting aside the way the OP really sets them as some sort of BL harem, there are also parts that look really good, in a more of "daily life at the court" setting.

All in all, this looks really good to me. Keep it up and you'll 10/10 it.

And where the bloody hell did you catch any BL undertones on the first episode, @ittaku? I only got them a bit in the OP.

On 17-4-2017 at 2:22 PM, ittaku said:

I really like recreators too. Probably one of, if not the, best new series this season (once all the sequels are trimmed from the list.)

Lets just pray that this wont end as alnoah zero, that one had a pretty great start as well en it did not turn out well.

Although personally i really have some high hopes for it, it gives me the same feelings i got when watching birdy the mighty decode which is something i also really enjoyed.
Lets hope they do spend some time building character.

16 minutes ago, havoc said:

Lets just pray that this wont end as alnoah zero, that one had a pretty great start as well en it did not turn out well.

That's because Gen Urobuchi essentially wrote the first episode and the overall plot-line, but had to ditch the show pretty early due to scheduling conflicts. The people that they brought on board afterwards added their own stuff and altered the base plotline that Urobuchi set up, possibly causing the mess that was the rest of the show.

Edited by Soulless Watcher

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I have watched two episodes of the Royal Tutor one a whim (aka the Tutor's garb looked great).

Reveal hidden contents

I... really like it, actually. A couple of confessions: When I first heard about this one, I thought most of the characters were girls. Idea quickly dispelled. However, it was only until reading a bit about it that I noticed the main character was actually a male. Prefer it that way, but did not expect it.

The premise is right up my alley. I absolutely love anything involving teachers, so that's a plus. It's also set in a court, and "daily life on the court" is one of my favourite settings. Nothing like a good premise to get me excited.
Then it went and got even more details right. First of all, the protagonist is of short stature, and that's hilarious. Better yet, they made sure to cast his voice actor as a clear adult, so no issue on that front. And said voice actor? Excellent. He is both exceedingly polite, as behoves him, and mostly deadpan. Personality? The best. He holds a mix of "No-Nonsense" attitude with surprisingly childish attitude at times. Finally, he's got some mystery behind him and is motivated by self interest. I loved the way he frankly didn't care for the princes' spiel about how they didn't like him. He's not there to be liked, you see?
The princes are, in fact, standard otome/shoujo tropes, but that works fine for me. Just know that it's the tutor that carries the show in my eyes.

I feel that there are even better things to come. Putting aside the way the OP really sets them as some sort of BL harem, there are also parts that look really good, in a more of "daily life at the court" setting.

All in all, this looks really good to me. Keep it up and you'll 10/10 it.

And where the bloody hell did you catch any BL undertones on the first episode, @ittaku? I only got them a bit in the OP.

Anything with bishounen pretty boys in it sets off my BL radar, no matter what the show, so I have to usually wait till a show has declared itself before I can go back to it. Kamisama hajimemashita almost did it with Tomoya in it but luckily the show had already finished airing before I watched it so I could find out if if there were any BL themes in it.

• Down pinned this topic

Unwatched or changed opinions so far:

Fukumenkei noise 2 didn't quite hit me like the first episode, feeling much more average. I think it was just the singing part at the end of episode 1 that really worked for me in retrospect.

On the other hand rokudenashi picked up and I actually found it quite amusing from 2+

ID-0 is intriguing and quite engaging and different, even with the overused 3d cg.

Start to dungeon S2 was very good.

Saekano flat is very good

Shin nanatsu no taizai is absurdly bad but good for a hit of boobies (make sure you watch an uncensored version). Unlike valkyrie drive, which was in the same vain, I think I won't be able to watch much more of it though. Valkyrie drive surprised me by actually entertaining as well as titillating.

I've yet to watch the third episode of Royal Tutor, but I'll confess that the second episode disappointed me quite so. I was expecting more of the "don't bs me mate" attitude from the MC that basically sold the first episode, but instead got "pink tales of the hurt princes."

3 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

I've yet to watch the third episode of Royal Tutor, but I'll confess that the second episode disappointed me quite so. I was expecting more of the "don't bs me mate" attitude from the MC that basically sold the first episode, but instead got "pink tales of the hurt princes."

Taking that into account and looking at the latest episode, I do believe this anime won't quite go in that direction, as hoped.
I imagine it will be similar to Assassination Classroom in many aspects instead.

That's all fine and good to me, but it is a bit of a shame.

Re:creators continues to be great. 

Spoiler

I didn't consider the mechanics required to "change" a characters' abilities and it was interesting seeing how they were working through that. That musical cue fake-out was amazing, although maybe.... lets not experiment with fire magic indoors.

22 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Re:creators continues to be great. 

Hide contents

I didn't consider the mechanics required to "change" a characters' abilities and it was interesting seeing how they were working through that. That musical cue fake-out was amazing, although maybe.... lets not experiment with fire magic indoors.

No lets not do that.... good thing it did not work out in the end.

And the hair of the female lead really reminds me of Birdy.

You know the Shoujo heroine with two love interests formula just doesn't work well with me. You either have both be assholes, like in Fukumenkei Noise, and paint some tragic backstory for them to try and justify their behavior. Which, is probably breeding a generation of beaten housewives who have a romanticized image of men who desperately need therapy. 

Or you have one nice guy and one complete asshole and the girl usually ends up with the asshole. Which is just really depressing and aggravating. 

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:18 PM, Swim Swim said:

Is there anything with "anyone can die" trope in this season, or its just to much to ask from nowadays industry ? 

Attack on Titans S2 I guess? Not that I believe they do it well, but still.

Just my opinion, but this season really has a lot of good anime to watch. In particular, the anime that I'm enjoying right now are:

- Quan Zhi Gao Shou (The King's Avatar) (a true hidden gem. I love the esports concept)

- Attack on Titan S2 (well, duh)

- Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul (another hidden gem tbh)

- Akashic Records (pretty good new series)

There's also a couple more that I'm watching, but I can't quite say if I'm truly enjoying them just yet:

- Tsuki ga Kirei (Have only watched the 1st ep so far, and I'm liking it) 

- Eromanga Sensei (by the same author as Oreimo, which I enjoyed)

- Re:Creators (the concept is interesting at least)

And this one is just my guilty pleasure, but...

- Sin: Nanatsu no Taizai

Edited by eplipswich

1 hour ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Re:creators continues to throw out interesting ideas, but I get the feeling it's going to go the same way that Aldnoah did. It seems to be pretty shit at characterizing and it really doesn't help that the cast of main characters is already seven.  

The only difference is that Aldnoah had at least one interesting main character to cling onto (Slaine), but in ReCreators there is nobody.

16 hours ago, pik3rob said:

The only difference is that Aldnoah had at least one interesting main character to cling onto (Slaine), but in ReCreators there is nobody.

Well at least in the first arc, in the second arc he became thoroughly unlikable. Although, I suppose that most of of Aldnoah's strengths crashed and burned in the second arc. 

It's really odd though, the guy handling the story  of recreators is the same person who wrote the Black Lagoon Manga. Black Lagoon wasn't the greatest at characterizing its' heros, aside from possibly Revy, but it had some fascinating antagonists that oozed personality and while their backstories are usually just hinted at but we feel like we know them intimately by the end of the show.

The characters from Re:Creators just feel hollow, like they are watered down copies of standard character archetypes. Everyones motivations are hazy and we know jack shit about the background of all of them. 

16 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Well at least in the first arc, in the second arc he became thoroughly unlikable. Although, I suppose that most of of Aldnoah's strengths crashed and burned in the second arc. 

I actually think Slaine became even better in the second half. If I try, I can actually come up with a convincing argument as to why he was actually a good guy there. The only reason he ended up being the "bad guy" is because the ending fucked up everything and ignored any type of realism.

18 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

The characters from Re:Creators just feel hollow, like they are watered down copies of standard character archetypes. Everyones motivations are hazy and we know jack shit about the background of all of them. 

I think that's probably the point, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating. The worst offender is probably the protagonist who is one of the most boring I've seen in a while.

8 minutes ago, pik3rob said:

I actually think Slaine became even better in the second half. If I try, I can actually come up with a convincing argument as to why he was actually a good guy there. The only reason he ended up being the "bad guy" is because the ending fucked up everything and ignored any type of realism.

I'll be honest, I don't really remember Aldnoah Zero that well. I only watched it once and was soo thoroughly disgusted by it that I tried to forget everything about the show. The only thing I really remember about Slaine is that he constantly makes poor decisions based on his infatuation with the princess.

8 minutes ago, pik3rob said:

I think that's probably the point, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating. The worst offender is probably the protagonist who is one of the most boring I've seen in a while.

I don't know if "boring" is the correct terminology he is such a non-presence in the show, if he wasn't related to the creator of the military princess he would be completely fucking pointless to the overall plot.