Thoughts on what to read next.

Thatcomicguy

The title pretty much sums it up. I tend to have the problem with buying multiple VN's at once and leaving them in a digital unread pile if you will. No joke I've got at least thirty already downloaded and waiting to be read *The beauty of a 2TB hard drive* with more already pre-ordered, I just finished Majikoi A-2,  *loved the series and highly recommend it*  Shuffle *Hit and miss* and Koisuru Natsu No Last Resort *Started okay ended pretty Meh* last week and right now I'm on Koihime Musou  A Heart-Throbbing, Maidenly Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Which is surprisingly really good, I've had it for months but only now got around to it. I love the little battles you can play as it adds to the fun and immersion but now I'm rambling so getting back on topic. Instead of listing every VN I have and not read yet, I'll just list off a few and hear from you guys what should be more a top priority and what should be left at the bottom of the barrel for now.

So just to name a few I have in the unread pile.

A Kiss For The Petals: The New Generation

Beat Blades Haruka

Cho Dengeki Stryker

Chronoclock

G-Senjou no mauo - The Devil on the G-string

Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning

Harem Party

Kindred Spirts on the Roof

Princess Waltz

School Days HQ

Starless N's Paradise

The Greatest Inventions of the Sexy Era

The Shadows of Pygmalion

And

Touma Kojirou’s Detective File  Murder at the Opera House

So like I said that's not even close to all of them but it'll help sort out some order to blow through these after I've finished Koihime. So Recommendations? 

From that list, play Kindred Spirits before everything else. It's an incredibly heartwarming experience, and I don't recall seeing anyone who read it and didn't like it. That recommendation aside, it kinda depends on what you're in the mood for. My thoughts on a few of those:

• Chrono Clock is probably the best straightforward moege I've played (but keep in mind I've only played like 1.5 routes of it, and assuming you don't count Kindred Spirits in that bucket...) outside of KonoSora. KonoSora has the translation from hell, so, that pretty much leaves you with Chrono Clock; it's pretty great, honestly.
  • I'm a fan of Gahkthun, but it's kind of divisive. The traits I see in the steampunk series really resonate with me: ultimately simple (and very human) stories with a fantastical setting; likeable characters; lovely art; soundtracks that leave an impression.
  • I really liked Pygmalion. Most other people don't. I found it thought-provoking and well-written. Lots of other people don't. Maybe give it a try for an hour or two and see if it clicks? I wrote a review of it a while back, if you like to read reviews: https://fuwanovel.net/reviews/2017/03/08/the-shadows-of-pygmalion/
  • Beat Blades Haruka is an interesting little game, but a pretty hardcore nukige. If your primary motivation is H scenes, maybe this is the right choice.
  • I don't get the hype around G-Senjou. It's fine, but definitely not my favorite.

just like Fred said i also agree with him(though personally didn't like Gahkthun cause of the story, though not underestimating the story, it's just that i didn't understand it quite well)....instead i liked Princess Waltz quite a bit(cause it have a little bit of gameplay) nd if u like gameplay based VN then u can follow this or this though most of them are outside of what u want....hope it may help...

A few of those are nukiges while others are more story driven so it's hard to recommend when I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Out of the list; G-Senjou no Maou has the best true route of the list.

Chrono Clock was also very good.

I wasn't a fan of Gahkthun, but I know others that have liked it so that is up to you.

School Days' engine is annoying but it is a fully animate VN with a million endings and is quite the ride.

From my standpoint Cho Dengeki Stryker, A Kiss for the Petals: The New Generation, Princess Waltz and Harem Party were pretty forgetful, but Princess Waltz had some feels at least.

I have not played Kindred Spirits or Pygmalion so I can't comment on those.

The rest of ur titles are nukiges with some extremist tastes that don't require much time to play. I personally consider Murder at the Opera House the worst of the bunch.

Best of luck

Edited by skrewball717

7 hours ago, Thatcomicguy said:

A Kiss For The Petals: The New Generation

Beat Blades Haruka

Cho Dengeki Stryker

Chronoclock

G-Senjou no mauo - The Devil on the G-string

Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning

Harem Party

Kindred Spirts on the Roof

Princess Waltz

School Days HQ

Starless N's Paradise

The Greatest Inventions of the Sexy Era

The Shadows of Pygmalion

Touma Kojirou’s Detective File Murder at the Opera House

As for the stroked eroge, what I could say is that in regard of Harem Party, Greatest Inventions, and Touma Kojirou is that those three were not quite good according to VNDB, and it's on the short side. As for Starless, well not my taste actually and I would suggest that you avoid that if you dislike bestiality. My suggestion for those four here would be just avoid those for a while there.

For Princess Waltz, while the story was copying from Fate according to several people, it's still quite interesting on it's own and besides you got a little gameplay in form of card battle which is quite good and interesting. Shool Days, well it's quite infamous with MC like Makoto and the big size but actually this is one of the best if we talk from production value (Animated instead of static), although if you want to try that it's quite buggy though according to some people.

By the way, if you like yuri (Or at least okay with that) I would definitely suggest Pygmalion, Yurirei (Kindred Spirit on Roof), and New Generation there. Otherwise, I think you better avoid that. For more info here, Pygmalion was some sort of action VN, while Yurirei was more on lighthearted one with us watching the interactions between four couples of yuri iirc (There's a bit of story though). As for New Generation, it was the most lighthearted one ie full of fluff and nice interaction between three couples. I'll leave it to you whether you interested with heavy or light yuri game and the decision to play it. Oh, and I think so far Pygmalion was quite well received back at VNDB (7.58 average scores).

As for the rest, G-Senjou was one of top VN, both of Gahkthun and Cho Dengeki Stryker was had some action and super robot as well, Chrono Clock was actually one of interesting eroge which still quite lighthearted, and finally for supposed nukige Beat Blade Haruka was had good story and interesting gameplay (Also sex was integrated to the gameplay, and the writing for the sex scenes was quite interesting).

So, the conclusion here I would suggest you try G-Senjou, Chrono Clock, Chou Dengeki Stryker, Gahkthun, and Beat Blade Haruka first. Also you could add yuri game if you really okay with that. For the rest, just considering it later. Hope it could be help here.

Out of those... G-senjou or Chrono Clock.  If you have played and liked Sekien no Ignanock, then Gakthun is probably a decent choice (depending on what you liked about it).

Edit: G-senjou lacks a really attractive main heroine (in all respects), which seems to be the main complaint of most people who play it that don't complain about it using the ladder story structure.  I dislike Liar-soft's style of prose, so I personally don't like Gakthun.   Chrono Clock has the benefit of being the most peaceful of the three, and it is a decent choice for slice of life with story.

Edited by Clephas

I handled Euphoria, would you say that's worse or not?

Hmmmm..... quite hard to answer here, but from the review that I'd read the sex scenes was really dragged on while the length was long according to VNDB. So while I couldn't certainly said that Starless worse than Euphoria (I mean in sex scenes), I would say just avoid those once again. Oh, have fun playing Chrono Clock there by the way.

1 hour ago, Akimoto Masato said:

Any of the Pulltop companies games ex. Konosora and Koi Resort (there's another one that I liked but I don't remember the name right off hand)

As for Pulltop VN, I think you would refer to LoveKami Divinity Stage if you meant from modern Pulltop (Translated as well). Although speaking of Pulltop, there's Princess Waltz though if you talk about translated one.

I handled Euphoria, would you say that's worse or not?

Euphoria has maybe 30-35 scenes total, about a fifth of them featuring scat (max). Some feature stuff like fainting and gorey stuff as well. There's at least one lovey-dovey sex scene with each girl.

Starless? Starless simply doesn't give a fuck. It has more than 80 (eighty) sex scenes, almost all of them rape (off the top of my head, I recall two -perhaps three or four- consensual sex scenes), it goes much farther with gore and torture, there's (more) electrocution and there's bestiality, the number of scenes with scat and/or enema play probably reach the twenties, maybe thirty scenes have piss play, there's numerous instances of drug use as well. And the average scene goes on for longer.

...You tell me.

1 hour ago, Funyarinpa said:

Euphoria has maybe 30-35 scenes total, about a fifth of them featuring scat (max). Some feature stuff like fainting and gorey stuff as well. There's at least one lovey-dovey sex scene with each girl.

Starless? Starless simply doesn't give a fuck. It has more than 80 (eighty) sex scenes, almost all of them rape (off the top of my head, I recall two -perhaps three or four- consensual sex scenes), it goes much farther with gore and torture, there's (more) electrocution and there's bestiality, the number of scenes with scat and/or enema play probably reach the twenties, maybe thirty scenes have piss play, there's numerous instances of drug use as well. And the average scene goes on for longer.

...You tell me.

I can see what you mean. It's funny how J-List failed to mention a lot of the extremer stuff on the page for it. Only saying "Every day there's a new fetish to explore" and only showing off the lightest of CG's. Not the it really bothers me reading some really messed up things on occasion but I think I'll bench this one for a while haha. 

Steins;Gate is pretty amazing, would definitely recommend reading it, even above Kindred Spirits most likely.

Also, one suggestion: it's a lot easier to give recommendations if you make a VNDB page and rate your games. Kind of equivalent to listing the games you've read and what you thought of them, but at least you only have to do it once and then keep it up to date, and it's easy for people to refer to on down the line.

10 hours ago, Thatcomicguy said:

I also forgot to add Steins Gate and Root Double -Before Crime After Days- Xtend Edition to that list in the OP as they were on my Steam and I was going off my systems list haha. I keep getting told Steins Gate's good but I honestly forgot all about it in till I just saw it. 

Root Double is decent but there's many classics out there better worth your time.

Steins; Gate is just an all around great VN and if you haven't read it, don't think you can go very wrong with picking S;G.

22 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Steins;Gate is pretty amazing, would definitely recommend reading it, even above Kindred Spirits most likely.

Also, one suggestion: it's a lot easier to give recommendations if you make a VNDB page and rate your games. Kind of equivalent to listing the games you've read and what you thought of them, but at least you only have to do it once and then keep it up to date, and it's easy for people to refer to on down the line.

Haha. I was just in the middle of doing that when you suggested it but just forgot to link to this site.