Why I hate the Fruit of Grisaia

xGreyHound

OK, so i finished the first game (the fan translation) while id agree the common route was rather long but i feel it was warranted. It has a large cast and the common route was needed set the seeds for the heroine routes as well as make the heroines likable so the player pick there own choice for waifu wars or arguments about best girl.

As for the reused comedy Gags and stereotypes, have you watched anime , read manga's or visual novels before? japan does this all the time other country's do this to varying degrees but japan seems to have perfected the art of it. 

Edited by krill
spelling

21 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Did we read the same VN?
In common route there was literally 6 people including protagonist + 2 characters that appear very occasionally. I would even say that it was a very small cast.

well considering that iv read vns with only 2 or 3 of similar length , having 5 heroines and a protag, and 3 or more side characters that showed up one or more times id consider medium to large cast, then again this is a matter of personal opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Akimoto Masato said:

So should I play it ._. He says it would be boring but, is it?

no one can tell you that honestly since thats a opinion all they can tell you whether they enjoyed it and why or why not.

Edited by krill
spelling

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2017 at 10:21 AM, Tweek91330 said:

Well, to each his own i guess.

I actually liked grisaia, it may not be the best thing out there but it was fun to read.

Best part of the first game was the common route indeed. If you find it boring, just drop it, it won't be worth your time.

The second game was pretty interresting, most likely my favorite "serious" part of the trilogy.

The third game was a dissapointment though.. They wasted too much time preparing for the final (which was "cool" but bullsh.t story wise if you ask me :makina:).

PS : Michiru made the game anyways, even if her route was meh :wahaha:

Having just put Kajitsu down, I had  to go looking for other's thoughts, perhaps even some commiseration - thus I'm a little late to this thread.   What can I say - hated it.  Only because I don't like smug, mean-spirited, d-bag protagonists, and I'm not too fond of heroines that behave that way either.  A little, sure - but that was 20 hours of it...  and how quickly that loli went from "cute kid" to... just ... ugh...

It's really odd that the one thing we have in common - liking Michiru, the deredere, would-be tsundere - is one prominent reason I didn't like Kajitsu, and what I found most annoying about the common route.  She was constantly being bullied by the jerk protag (I have more colorful words for him, trust me), his little loli was even beating on her physically while he applauded and praised her for it... telling her to tie the ropes tighter next time so that Michiru would become "rope-drunk" and then be more ... compliant.  I know - comedy, right?  And I am just amazed that some folks said  they laughed their ass off.  Really.  Amazed.  Wow.  The MC is abusive and yet clueless as to how bizarre of a person he was, while being a typical eroge perv coupled with a perfectly smug d-bag.   He couldn't imagine why anyone would "stare at water" because Michiru liked looked out at the ocean.   And the robot, Sachi - she may have been taken advantage of, but even she repeatedly stomps on Michiru's self-esteem, despite that she would strip her clothes off in public just at the perv's suggestion she should "show panty" sometimes... which itself was just weird.  She misunderstood almost EVERYTHING, and yet even she felt superior and was snide and even vicious about little Michiru.  That girl never got a break.  Then she was deathly afraid of riding in the truck with Amane, so Yuugi, the dbag had the other girls get in the car, then he got scared and tricked Michiru, as he always did, making HER drive with Amane again  - after apparently suffering injuries and trauma from previous experience.  Such a gentleman.  No wait - he's the opposite, that's right.  An abusive, stuck-up asswipe.  Sorry - that's a fact.  Even if ya liked it - the guy was a jerk.  So - in a way, aside from the nauseatingly repetitive _attempts_ at humor - where the Loli suddenly alternates between talking like a trucker and talking like a teen-hooker, knowledgeable in the ways to please old men in  a brothel, or Sachi will once again behave far more moronically than the one girl she insults in every scene, while the protag never berates her for lacking a brain, only to ... oh yeah, Michiru will try to act tsundere for some reason, yet always be called idiot, simpleton, etc.. despite the fact that she's clearly more observant and on-the-ball than the smug protag...  - Oh!  That was the humor, right!?  Michiru the fake-tsundere is an idiot again, right Yuuji?  Ummm - "rope-drunk", huh?   I  think I might not want to see this guy's H-scenes at all, lol..  jeeez.  Oh - this was all funny, of course.  Amaaaazing.    One other thing - sometimes, HYPE about a game really does far surpass any that the game actually deserves.  So - repetitive as watching paint dry, and - really tired of seeing the only girl that seemed like she was actually nice getting abused, psychologically and physically.  And - if  you're going to say "it's humor, idiot!" ... just save it.  I know what humor is.  Even in that mess, it couldn't decide between drama that's humorous or humor that's dramatic or...  it had these untertones, fairly dark - sandwiched between that repetitive grade-school slapstick.  I am getting a laugh now though at least.  From the thread.
But - Kajitsu SUCKED.

Edited by aprilia1k

On 4/5/2017 at 8:03 AM, Silvz said:

First I though about complaining on how uneeded is to make a whole thread for this purpose only, but you got my attention in the last part. One discussion that I have been having lately with friends is how some things get too much praise even though sometimes they are just average. People put many works - in our case, VNs - in pedestals that in most cases they do not deserve, not for not being good, but for not being worth it.

Another matter would be how this praising can be harmful as we get saturated of seeing these works everywhere. Grisaia is a name that appears on the forums each five threads are made. That it is good it is clear, but I have to say that seeing how repetitive is our recommendation section, I tend to ignore many novels as I'm pretty sure they would not stand to the hype people create for them.

Felt this way with Higurashi. Could hardly finish it. 

EDIT: SSSHHHiiii...didn't notice how old this thread is, mea culpa mea cupla. Even though I'd quoted the damn thing, didn't see the dates until now. (my excuse, it was 6 in the morning on a Sunday after a night of pork belly, kimchi and soju. God, so much soju.)

Edited by milkteebaby

7 hours ago, milkteebaby said:

Felt this way with Higurashi. Could hardly finish it. 

EDIT: SSSHHHiiii...didn't notice how old this thread is, mea culpa mea cupla. Even though I'd quoted the damn thing, didn't see the dates until now. (my excuse, it was 6 in the morning on a Sunday after a night of pork belly, kimchi and soju. God, so much soju.)

l'm afraid the only possible punishment for thread necromancy is death. We'll miss you. :unsure:

You should never believe the hype unless you know the game is exactly up your alley. I keep healthy skepticism to everything I approach unless I can tell it will cater precisely to my tastes (I'm a simple man, you see, give me a piece of cute, well-written yuri and I'll never be disappointed).

I find it funny btw that this whole thread is about hating on the Grisaia's common route which is probably my favorite part of it. I've always found it very well written and relaxing. Well, to each their own, this world would be boring without polar-opposite opinions. :P

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Ironic that this thread was created at about the same time I was reading Grisaia last year (which was my first VN).

Yes, the common route is long. But the eccentric protag, ChiruChiru's derpiness and cute voice, Maki's vulgar motor mouth, Sachi's inuendos, and the other antics, made it worth it. Plus it sneaks some subtle foreshadowing in at some points. Things only seem okay on the surface....

Guess reading visual novels requires a lot of free time on your end. And a lot of patience. And maybe some imagination.