Why I hate the Fruit of Grisaia

xGreyHound

1 hour ago, xGreyHound said:

The common route is so ungodly boring that it makes me think the entire game is not worth my time no matter how much people praise it. 

First I though about complaining on how uneeded is to make a whole thread for this purpose only, but you got my attention in the last part. One discussion that I have been having lately with friends is how some things get too much praise even though sometimes they are just average. People put many works - in our case, VNs - in pedestals that in most cases they do not deserve, not for not being good, but for not being worth it.

Another matter would be how this praising can be harmful as we get saturated of seeing these works everywhere. Grisaia is a name that appears on the forums each five threads are made. That it is good it is clear, but I have to say that seeing how repetitive is our recommendation section, I tend to ignore many novels as I'm pretty sure they would not stand to the hype people create for them.

I think that the writers were betting on you re-reading or reflecting on the common route after playing all the regular routes so that you'll look at it in a different way once you know the sources of the girls' comedy traits. That's probably why it was so long and comedy-heavy.

3 hours ago, xGreyHound said:

The common route is so ungodly boring that it makes me think the entire game is not worth my time no matter how much people praise it. 

Well even I remember thinking that the common route is kind of boring, etc but I didn't feel that it was all that bad. Then again the routes made up for it and made me feel that all that time put into reading it was worth it.

Rewrite kinda has the same problem, common route is too long and tries too much to be funny (but it kinda works, because of what happens afterwards).

Grisaia is beyond saving. Walking-deus-ex-machina-plot-device-protag really doesn't work in a comedy setting, imo. (He still doesn't work in the routes, at least for me, but that might be because I hate those kind of protagonists)

It's a polarizing topic. Personally I liked it, I had lots of good laughs from most of it. On the other hand, I hated Rewrites' attempt at humor. Matter of mood and taste when all is said and done.

If you don't initially like the premise or characters, you're likely in for a bad time - but if you like them, then all's good, right?

(keep in mind I read Fruit of Grisaia when it was still just a fanTL, so any official changes to the script go over my head - though I do own both the steam and the +18 version now)

While I'll admit that the humor was not always consistent I think it did a pretty damn good job at being interesting despite being another slice of life. But I'm a sucker for sardonic MC's that can give 10x more than they get.

It's certainly not something I'd put on a pedestal but then I've honestly not felt that way about *any* VN.

14 hours ago, xGreyHound said:

Yeah the only thing that I remember about common route is one of the most boring VN experience I ever had. As for the rest of the game, it suck big time, for me the biggest mystery the protag was himself, his personality was absolutely different on routes also the pacing was really all over the place, it almost felt like different people wrote the routes... Later learned that was indeed the case..... Another thing I have rarely seen so bad,was the chemistry with quite few girls, simply awful forced (makina?, the blonde hair girl, the maid) 

I still believe that the common route is the best part of Grisaia, across the entire trilogy. It's like a comedy sketch anime in a visual novel form, and it also perfectly captures what the story is about in the first place - a group of quirky outcasts trying to lead a normal life. That's what Grisaia is first and foremost, and as such its main focus are the characters and their interactions with one another - in other words, the comedy.

The whole series went downhill as soon as it tried to have a serious plot, in my opinion. Even ignoring the mess that all the different writers made, it just loses most of its charm as soon as it tried to have a constant narrative, and the third entry in the series just ends up being a trainwreck that comes across more like a Hollywood parody than an epic conclusion.

1 hour ago, Vokoca said:

I still believe that the common route is the best part of Grisaia, across the entire trilogy. It's like a comedy sketch anime in a visual novel form, and it also perfectly captures what the story is about in the first place - a group of quirky outcasts trying to lead a normal life. That's what Grisaia is first and foremost, and as such its main focus are the characters and their interactions with one another - in other words, the comedy.

The whole series went downhill as soon as it tried to have a serious plot, in my opinion. Even ignoring the mess that all the different writers made, it just loses most of its charm as soon as it tried to have a constant narrative, and the third entry in the series just ends up being a trainwreck that comes across more like a Hollywood parody than an epic conclusion.

ad4f975b9a81073cc76f28f5b1f9baf4e804b0a83b830435a38e2d7766b0e8e25918dbf0.png

When people talk about things being overhyped, the idea is that they praise a work to the high heavens, set an impossible standard for it, and ruin anybody else's ability to enjoy the work. What is really happening is a little simpler. When people like a game, they talk about it. They share their experiences. When people dislike a game (this works with anime too), they will generally drop it and move on. Mabe they will say something quick about it, but most people are more  concerned with finding works to enjoy, so it is not uncommon to find things we do not like in the process. When something is highly praised though, our expectations are set, and we feel let down and annoyed when they are not met. This is generally when people start to say it was overhyped, implying the high praise the game was given ruined it. 

This is simply a matter of personal taste. On an individual basis, people will generally spend more time talking about good works they have played rather than bad. With works not fitting in to their tastes, they will move on. On the internet, if many people like something, many people will talk about it, and people that didn't enjoy it will generally move on. This can create the illusion to some people that a game gets nothing but praise. Once again, on an individual basis, if people will enjoy a work, they will talk about their feelings. They are not trying to give a critical analysis.

As with anything, no matter how many people seem to like it, if something is not to your taste, then you simply have different taste. Anybody can learn to enjoy, or at least appreciate, almost anything, but whether the work is worth their time investment is completely up to the individual. Hype isn't generally the problem in these situations. Expecting your experiences to line up with that of others is. And it is completely possible, and is usually the case, for someone to find what you percieve to be bad writing, to be well thought out. This is not so much their lack of experience or education but their individual taste and the subjective standard of writing at work.

Nobody has failed you for not enjoying this game. It is simply not, at current, to your taste. Keep in mind, it is completely possible for you to learn to enjoy the game, as individuals can expand their taste. It is important to understand that choosing not to learn to enjoy it means that you do not think that it is, at current, worth your time (as time is valuable). This is very different from it veing impossible for you to enjoy, and the work has not failed any objective standard of writing, as none exists (just consensus).

Good god that was long.

Edited by Scasma

Well, to each his own i guess.

I actually liked grisaia, it may not be the best thing out there but it was fun to read.

Best part of the first game was the common route indeed. If you find it boring, just drop it, it won't be worth your time.

The second game was pretty interresting, most likely my favorite "serious" part of the trilogy.

The third game was a dissapointment though.. They wasted too much time preparing for the final (which was "cool" but bullsh.t story wise if you ask me :makina:).

PS : Michiru made the game anyways, even if her route was meh :wahaha:

21 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

The common route is literally the best part (of what I've played... still only one full route). It is hilarious.

The comedy is the only reason I got as far as I did. 

5 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Wrong.

I hated common, Amane and Sachi routes. Really liked Michiru route. 

Why would I read a boring route when I could go play csgo and try to get MG1? That is the real question. 

6 hours ago, Scasma said:

When people talk about things being overhyped, the idea is that they praise a work to the high heavens, set an impossible standard for it, and ruin anybody else's ability to enjoy the work. What is really happening is a little simpler. When people like a game, they talk about it. They share their experiences. When people dislike a game (this works with anime too), they will generally drop it and move on. Mabe they will say something quick about it, but most people are more  concerned with finding works to enjoy, so it is not uncommon to find things we do not like in the process. When something is highly praised though, our expectations are set, and we feel let down and annoyed when they are not met. This is generally when people start to say it was overhyped, implying the high praise the game was given ruined it. 

This is simply a matter of personal taste. On an individual basis, people will generally spend more time talking about good works they have played rather than bad. With works not fitting in to their tastes, they will move on. On the internet, if many people like something, many people will talk about it, and people that didn't enjoy it will generally move on. This can create the illusion to some people that a game gets nothing but praise. Once again, on an individual basis, if people will enjoy a work, they will talk about their feelings. They are not trying to give a critical analysis.

As with anything, no matter how many people seem to like it, if something is not to your taste, then you simply have different taste. Anybody can learn to enjoy, or at least appreciate, almost anything, but whether the work is worth their time investment is completely up to the individual. Hype isn't generally the problem in these situations. Expecting your experiences to line up with that of others is. And it is completely possible, and is usually the case, for someone to find what you percieve to be bad writing, to be well thought out. This is not so much their lack of experience or education but their individual taste and the subjective standard of writing at work.

Nobody has failed you for not enjoying this game. It is simply not, at current, to your taste. Keep in mind, it is completely possible for you to learn to enjoy the game, as individuals can expand their taste. It is important to understand that choosing not to learn to enjoy it means that you do not think that it is, at current, worth your time (as time is valuable). This is very different from it veing impossible for you to enjoy, and the work has not failed any objective standard of writing, as none exists (just consensus).

Good god that was long.

I have the exact opposite, I have 3-4 hours on the game and I could shit all overt it.