recommend me jrpg's

Arkamondal

- Criminal Girls: Invite Only (adaptation of a PS Vita game)

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

- Disgaea franchise

- Final Fantasy franchise

- Most of the Hyperdimension Neptunia saga is on Steam.

- Also lots of PS Vita/PS4 JRPG are being released on Steam.

Basically just type "jrpg" into the Steam search and browse.

27 minutes ago, Okarin said:

- Criminal Girls: Invite Only (adaptation of a PS Vita game)

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

- Disgaea franchise

- Final Fantasy franchise

- Most of the Hyperdimension Neptunia saga is on Steam.

- Also lots of PS Vita/PS4 JRPG are being released on Steam.

Basically just type "jrpg" into the Steam search and browse.

Even though those games are great, most of them aren't like what he described: " 3d real time gameplay with good graphics "

I can recommend other Tales of games, like Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Berseria (I'm not sure which tales of games aside from those two are avaiable on PC, It's a series I usually play on console).

Maybe Nier Automata, I havent played it yet and the PC-Port is supposed to have some problems though.

Edited by sarkasmus

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

I'm also interested in trying some fantasy JRPG's for some time now, though I'd also be interested if any of the aforementioned titles have romance in it. What about the Final Fantasy, Tales and Legend of Heroes titles in that regard?

In Final Fantasy VII and IX, here and there you will find some teasing and cute scenes, but they are not that focused in romance. Final Fantasy VIII and X romance plays a bigger role in the plot. Final Fantasy XII and XIII there's just some ships, barely anything.

9 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

In Final Fantasy VII and IX, here and there you will find some teasing and cute scenes, but they are not that focused in romance. Final Fantasy VIII and X romance plays a bigger role in the plot. Final Fantasy XII and XIII there's just some ships, barely anything.

Played FF8 a long time ago and liked it. So I guess FF10 would be the best follow up. Thanks for the info.

PC Recommendations:

Grandia II: Long held by jrpg fans to have one of the best combat systems for the genre of game, the HD Remaster is a great PC version of the game. It comes with both english and japanese dialogue and multiple difficulty modes. The game itself, while the story is a bit cliche, is rather entertaining and enjoyable nonetheless. One point for it (or against for some) is that the game can be completed in about 40 hours which is rather short for most jrpgs. While it is not a perfect game it is one of the better jrpgs on Steam. 

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD: You may be wondering why I have this Final Fantasy game (all are varying degrees of enjoyable) on here and not a different game. The simple answer is that the PC HD Remaster has additional features that can make grinding a lot easier. The game comes with 5 potential boosters which do the following (hit escape to see the menu); speed mode (toggles between normal, 2x speed, and 4x speed...no skipping cutscenes and doesn't affect menus though), supercharge mode (not sure what this does but I imagine it will make people hit like a truck, Encounter Mode (increase or decrease enemy encounter rate), Auto-Battle Mode (use this along with the speed mode and grinding is easy as hell and speeds up the process), Hud mode (toggles the hud on or off so you can take screenshots). You don't have to use any of them but the speed and auto-battle mode makes grinding less tedious if you decide to do it. The story is pretty good for the most part and the characters have character and can be interesting but it is a bit boring at the beginning but gets better as it goes on...a bunch of side quests, minigames, etc... that you can do if you want (it's optional), and it's the first final fantasy game to release with dialogue (at least back when it released).

Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky: This is is a great jrpg it has some quirky personalities but it has character and plot and has pretty solid gameplay while also giving you a very interesting look at the world that the game takes place in. I can't really do any game justice with just talking about it but this is one of my favorite jrpgs to come out recently. 

Valkyria Chronicles: A unique experience. It more or less rebooted a genre of game...similar gameplay to xcom, fire emblem, suikoden in which characters can be recruited and then can permanently die. Valkyria Chronicles gives nearly all the characters a bit of personality and it has a pretty solid story and gameplay. (romance and bread!)

Tales of Symphonia: Not the best port but there is a mod to make it more manageable on PC. I was a fan of the Tales series growing up and even like it to this day even if I dislike some practices of the current PC crowd. It deals with pretty mature content and while friends and all that is a thing (it's a jrpg) it's not nearly as emphasized as something like Graces F. It has an interesting world and interesting characters with a decent story. But again unless you use the mod might be better off skipping and playing Tales of Berseria which outside of some DRM on the PC release is an excellent game with some great characters. I've not yet beaten Berseria yet but I've highly enjoyed playing it. It's quite a lot better than Zestiria imho. 

Nier Automata: While currently more of an action (break the mold type of rpg?) the game deserves a mention for what it's been able to do so far. It's typical Nier fashion and the first time you beat it you've only gone through about 30-ish percent of the game if that. The game requires multiple playthroughs and is debatable about whether one would call it fantasy or science-fiction. So far I'm enjoying it but it is a bit eccentric. I would wait a bit before trying this one however as the PC version just released and needs some patching.

Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force (or something): Superior to the original Fairy Fencer F it basically is like Neptune games but with male characters as well. It makes fun of various tropes/genres and actually has an entertaining story. It's not for everyone but I enjoyed it. Sometimes it plays more like a vn simply because while there is definitely combat there is a lot of reading.

Final Fantasy XIV: This is an MMO and people either love it or hate it but it currently has a free trial period going on right now (up to level 30 I think) in anticipation for the new expansion. 

Positive points: You can pick up Valkyria Chronicles, Grandia II, and Legend of Heroes on a sale for usually less than 10 dollars and X/X-2 during a squenix sale for less than 20.

Console Recommendations: Suikoden II (or the series in general...I personally really enjoy V), Chrono Trigger, Skies of Arcadia, Nier, Xenogears/Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts Covenant (or play Shadow Hearts then SH Covenant), Valkyrie Profile, Parasite Eve, Lost Odyssey, Persona/shin megami tensei series, Odin Sphere (remake version) and that's just to name a few.

Handheld Recommendations: Radiant Historia (although you might want to wait as it seems to be getting a Perfect Chronology...hopefully it gets licensed), Bravely Default, Fire Emblem Awakening, Golden Sun, Devil Survivor (3DS), Etrian Odyssey series, Dragon Quest (series in general is hit or miss with people but some good games in the series...I like V), Shin Megami Tensei IV (hell the shin megami series in general), Jeanne D'Arc, Growlanser IV, 

Honorable Western Recommendations: Witcher series (3 if you can only play one of them), Mass Effect Original Trilogy (Andromeda will be hit or miss with nearly everyone), Horizon Zero Dawn, Divinity Original Sin (I and II), Pillars of Eternity, Fallout/Elder Scrolls Series, Dragon Age Origins

Visual Novel Recommendations: Aselia, Seinarukana, Sengoku Rance, Kamidori Alchemy Meister, Eiyuu Senki, Yumina the Ethereal, just to name a few 

On 4/3/2017 at 2:31 PM, ChaosRaven said:

I'm also interested in trying some fantasy JRPG's for some time now, though I'd also be interested if any of the aforementioned titles have romance in it. What about the Final Fantasy, Tales and Legend of Heroes titles in that regard?

you can follow this thread if u are interested in jrpg's with romance...

thnx guys for all those recommendations...will try out many of them....:sachi:

On 04/04/2017 at 0:23 AM, Clephas said:

Valkyria Chronicles

The Legend of Heroes series (text-heavy jrpg in the classic style)

The Neptunia series (if you like moe-rpgs)

I dont know about neptunia, but the other two are good (if you can stand valkyria translation, which is absolutly terrible :makina:)

As said before, you can play tales of berseria, it's a really good tales of imo.

If your PC can handle it, get a ps2 emulator and play tales of the abyss (my favorite, you can even find undub version, it's most likely piracy even if you own the game though..), and xeno saga series.

Disgaea series is a must too (for SRPG), unfortunatly, only the first two are avaible on PC, others are console exclusive...

Nier automata should be good too, it's on my backlog ˆˆ.

As for vn jrpg, baldr series is great (baldr sky is being translated).

Edited by Tweek91330

On 12.4.2017 at 6:10 AM, Arkamondal said:

guy's came across this post....so anyone interested in jrpg's like the tales series u might wanna look at it...

lol that's just the author's own Top 68 RPG list (probably all the RPGs he ever played) with no relation to the game in question which the recommendations should be based on.
Why do people even make recommendation lists if they are incapable of providing more insight than just naming their favorite games?
...oh, of course I know why; clickbait and money.

6 hours ago, Tyrosyn said:

lol that's just the author's own Top 68 RPG list (probably all the RPGs he ever played) with no relation to the game in question which the recommendations should be based on.
Why do people even make recommendation lists if they are incapable of providing more insight than just naming their favorite games?
...oh, of course I know why; clickbait and money.

though that topic helped me to increase my knowledge on the variety of JRPGs that i didn't know about.....

if your familiar with emulators and since you used one for xenoblade chronicles on a emulator there are a epic butt ton of jrpgs on the ppsspp emulator and desume NDS emulator if you need help with them message me here or on twitter or add me on steam.