Solving basic issues of Visual Novel Reader

Hey, guys! This is my first post here, but since I saw tons of unresolved issues in older threads, I decided to take the time to sign up and do this faq to help everyone. (I didn't want to necro the oher thread >.< : https://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/4709-fixes-to-common-problems-with-visual-novel-reader/) I use the VNR frequently and put it to work both on Windows 8 and 10, so I'll try to write all the issues I already encounter and how I resolved them.

First, remember to change your system locale to japanese. This solve a ton of problems you might encounter. Okay, here we go:

1) VNR is not translating anything!
When the novel is open and running, go to te side menu, and go to "Menu" then "Preferences". 

1.1 I'm using offline translators
Check in "Locations"-->"Translators" if the path to your dictionaries is correct. Then, check in "Translation"-->"Translators" if LEC or ATLAS is enabled. Scroll down, they are some of the last options.

1.2 I'm using online translators
Check in "Translation"-->"Translators" if the one you like is enabled. And, of course, check if your internet connection is okay.

Restart the novel. Still nothing? See below.

2) VNR is not translating choices/ some part of the text!
This one can be kinda tricky. When the novel is open and running, with text displaying, go to te side menu, and go to "Menu" then "Text Preferences". Check the first option "Keep all threads blah blah blah", save the changes in the blue "SAVE" button in the top left, close and go back. You should see lots of boxes with the text threads. Okay, if the only things you're seeing are gibberish full of numbers, change the text enconding until you find boxes with kanji and the like (or whatever is displaying in the VN screen). Okay, now you need to select the boxes that are displaying THE SAME TEXT THAT IS THE VN SCREEN. Above the box are four options, "dialog", "name", "other" and "ignore". Click in the "dialog" option of the box with the correct and complete text. That should do the trick.
No box is displaying the right text? Try another scene of the VN, in New Game (not a saved file) for example. Believe it or not, this actually worked for me once. The right box simply didn't appear in all scenes. Figures... But once you check it in one scene, it will work for all the others. You'll not need to do these steps ever again. But if the text disappears after all this (if you managed to make it work), every time you start your novel, see if the "Keep all threads..." option is checked. When I used VNR in Windows 8.1, for some reason every time I quit the novel, VNR unchecked this option. So you may have to check it again.

For choices, you have to do almost the same method. But you have to find the boxes with THE SAME TEXT OF THE CHOICES (Each option should be in a different box) and click in the "other" option above all of them. VNR can't have more than one box selected as "dialog", so select them as "other". Be careful that you may need to scroll up the VNR subtitle to see all of the translations, since it will separate the choices with line breaks.
Then again, tons of VNs simply repeat the text of the choices after you select them. So, you can always just save before, select, read and load. Then, why not submit a commentary on VNR with the text of choices?

3) Duplicate text!
When the novel is open and running, go to te side menu, and go to "Menu" then "Text Preferences". Check the second "Eliminate infinite repetition..." or the third option "Ignore infinite cyclic repetition", and then save the changes in the blue "SAVE" button in the top left.

4) The side menu you keep mentioning simply vanished!
As soon as the novel open, go to "Menu" and uncheck "Auto Hide", it's one of the last options.

5) Original text in the VNR subtitles...
When the novel is open and running, go to te side menu, and go to "Option" then uncheck "Game Text", the first option on the left.

6) How do I change the text alignment?
When the novel is open and running, go to te side menu, and go to "Option" then uncheck "Text Aligns Center", the fifth option on the right.

7) Text is being ignored because is too long!
When the novel is open and running, go to te side menu, and go to "Option" then put the "Length" option in the left at max (500, the bar will be entirely blue)

8 ) Subtitle box is in a weird place of the screen...
Hover the cursor around the subtitle box until a tiny box with a x and a music note appears above it. Now click and hold in this tiny box (beside the + symbol) to drag the subtitle. Ta dah! After that, right click in the subtitle box and click save position then lock position.

I'll keep updating this, if anyone wants. Maybe add some screenshots...

Edited by MaggieROBOT

I have this weird problem since few days ago. I'm playing Sen no Hatou right now and sometimes the game will freezes whenever I return to the menu screen, and then when I restart the game my VNR won't function, the offline dictionary stopped to translate for some reason. This occur every time I tried to return to the menu screen for some reason, somehow restarting my laptop works. Did some testing and it seems that that's the only reason this problem triggers. Any idea what's happening though?

VNR stopped working for me a long time ago, I think the VN companies has been making software that is incompatible with VNR so I stopped using it and just ask if there are any big long words in hiragana or katakana or both in most cases, since I have a basic understanding of how the Japanese Language so I can deal with most VNs but some of them I have to read the translations for

2 hours ago, Kuroneko-san said:

I have this weird problem since few days ago. I'm playing Sen no Hatou right now and sometimes the game will freezes whenever I return to the menu screen, and then when I restart the game my VNR won't function, the offline dictionary stopped to translate for some reason. This occur every time I tried to return to the menu screen for some reason, somehow restarting my laptop works. Did some testing and it seems that that's the only reason this problem triggers. Any idea what's happening though?

Try using a better dictionary or just learn Japanese, I'm not too good with programs so I would wait for the guy who is the expert on VNR, I can do a lot of shit with hardware though 

3 hours ago, Kuroneko-san said:

What a strange error... First, the novel freezes when you go back to the main menu even without VNR? If yes, maybe this is a installation error (of the novel, not VNR). Did it work before? Did you change any of your computer configurations?

When you restart, some green circle is on the bottom left of the screen or some old notifications like "Game window closed" are in the top right without going away? If yes, VNR just stop responding along with the novel. Close and open VNR again, it might work.

Edited by MaggieROBOT

13 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

What a strange error... First, the novel freezes when you go back to the main menu even without VNR? If yes, maybe this is a installation error (of the novel, not VNR). Did it work before? Did you change any of your computer configurations?

When you restart, some green circle is on the bottom left of the screen or some old notifications like "Game window closed" are in the top right without going away? If yes, VNR just stop responding along with the novel. Close and open VNR again, it might work.

The freeze only occurs whenever VNR is on. Other changing my system local to Japan nothing configuration have been made. I do notice that sometimes whenever this happens a new notification appears on the top right screen about some error happened, I didn't have enough time to screen shot it but I will try to do it next time. 

13 hours ago, Akimoto Masato said:

Try using a better dictionary or just learn Japanese, I'm not too good with programs so I would wait for the guy who is the expert on VNR, I can do a lot of shit with hardware though 

I can read Japanese. I'm almost finishing my N3 studies. Just using VNR for additional help purpose.

5 hours ago, Kuroneko-san said:

The freeze only occurs whenever VNR is on. Other changing my system local to Japan nothing configuration have been made. I do notice that sometimes whenever this happens a new notification appears on the top right screen about some error happened, I didn't have enough time to screen shot it but I will try to do it next time. 

If the novel used to work with VNR, you can try restoring your system (Control Panel > Recovery > Open System Restore). Just pick the first date before the error started. This solves a lot of these sudden errors.

If it never worked properly, I'll wait for your screenshot. Never heard of a error like this one before.

1 hour ago, Kuroneko-san said:

wdzl3Ay.png

There you go. This is the error text that popped up.

Seems to be a problem with the H-code. The things you could do are:

1) See if the code was deleted by another user. When the novel is open and running, go to the side menu, and go to "Menu" then "Text Preferences" then "Edit H-Code". Enter this same code "/HS8:20@3A730:BGI.exe" and click save.

2) Try a different/ custom H-Code that works better. I found these ones around, but I think they only work wit the trial version of Senmomo: 

/HS8:20@35640:BGI.exe and /HAN4@36B75:BGI.exe

(If these don't work, the game will probably crash). You can try asking around for codes or looking on hongfire.

3) Some VNs will only work with one of the hookers, and it isn't always VNR.  Some only hook properly with ITH, while other only work with ITHVNR. Maybe you should try another engine.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys I have problem with certain VN with VNR.
Reason why I said certain VN cause this only happen to Kin'iro Loveriche. I just finished read 9-nine ep. 3 without any problem. 

Problem : 
This normal translation which appear in one box but after reach certain text which like this appear VNR decide to split it become 3 different text box.
It's kinda annoying everytime text like that appear I must scroll it or drag it down to see previous text box. 
Is there a way to fix this problem? :rubycry:

This is my VNR text setting

• 5 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 9:29 PM, Skypie said:

Hi guys I have problem with certain VN with VNR.
Reason why I said certain VN cause this only happen to Kin'iro Loveriche. I just finished read 9-nine ep. 3 without any problem. 

Problem : 
This normal translation which appear in one box but after reach certain text which like this appear VNR decide to split it become 3 different text box.
It's kinda annoying everytime text like that appear I must scroll it or drag it down to see previous text box. 
Is there a way to fix this problem? :rubycry:

This is my VNR text setting

Hello, can you share the the file of VNR that you use? Because, the VNR that I use right now, doesnt have "MENU" option, so I can't do Text Setting in the game. Or do I need to do something to make the "MENU" appear?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Hi, VNR doesn't work for me. I register on that new sakuradite server, there I download VNR and then I configure everything in the correct way following the guides, I just need to download VN and play the case was that when I had the games I had. I want to use VNR begins to load but does not open the launcher that characterizes it, the only thing I notice is the change of the pointer and since only the program does not open properly, help, I also found a publication where this is the same problem as mine    https://github.com/rayNymous/annot-player/issues/33

+

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, I've been using VNR for some time but recently it started malfunctioning, so I found a solution of changing the hook method in some games, but now I've run into a new problem, the "menu" option in the corner menu doesn't show up in some games. I'm trying to figure out why and how to fix this, or at least how to change the hook method without using it.  I would really appreciate some help from more experienced people :)

qrNrUAN.png

Edited by SqueedBot

• 6 months later...

hey, ive been having this weird issue lately where ill be playing a game, things are going fine, and then vnr crashes. Ok so ill just reopen it right? Nope. I go into its folder and the launcher is gone. I close out shit and restart my computer. I go back into its folder, now the website reader launcher is also gone. The only thing thats fixed this is deleting all the other files and re-extracting it :< is their some kinda setting for this? 🙇‍♀️