For Love of VNs: A List of Financially Independent protagonists

Clephas

Generally speaking, most protagonists in VNs are teens reliant on their parents for money, food, and shelter.  As such, it is pretty hard to find a VN where the protagonist is capable of supporting himself/herself, and some of my favorite protagonists are of this type.   For the purposes of accuracy, I'm excluding people merely living alone on money being sent to them by relatives.  I'll also name chuunige with this type of protagonist in a separate section at the bottom.  Incidentally, I reluctantly excluded Akatsuki no Goei's Kaito because he sponges off anyone who will let him, lol.  I'm also excluding 'high fantasy' with no characters from Earth.

The List

Nanairo Reincarnation

Ojousama wa Gokigen Naname (protagonist is actually fairly wealthy due to his dirty-dealing, lol)

G-Senjou no Maou

Namima no Kuni no Faust

The Grisaia series (yes, I count Yuuji, as he works for his money and shelter)

Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no

Hataraku Otona no Ren'ai Jijou

Hataraku Otaku no Ren'ai Jijou

Koisuru Doll to Omoi no Kiseki (though he is basically living off an inheritance)

Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate series (protagonist is of the same type as Yuuji)

Rui wa Tomo o Yobu

Suzunone Seven (pays his way with magitech sex toys, lol)

Minamijuujisei Renka (technically, the protagonist lives off his little sisters... but he was the one supporting them and one other before, until he collapsed, lol)

Soshite Hatsukoi ga Imouto ni Naru (protagonist lives in a school dorm but pays his own ways through part-time jobs)

the Mecha-con series (all the protagonists here are wealthy)

Natsuiro Recipe

Sakura Nikagetsu (living off of inheritance)

Sumire (though he is miserable)

Re:Birth Colony

Lamunation (though it is hidden under layers of sexual humor)

Sora no Tsukurikata

Dekinai Watashi ga, Kurikaesu (utsuge)

Hotel. (though at this point, money means nothing, lol)

Konata yori Kanata made (living off inheritance, utsuge)

Kazoku Keikaku (though this game has aged horribly)

Reminiscence

Sakura Iro Quartet

Sanzen Sekai Yuugi (dark otomege)

Valkyrie Runabout

Sharin no Kuni

Toki o Tsumugu Yakusoku

Trouble@Vampire

Chuunige

Hi no Nai Tokoro ni Kemuri wa Tatanai

Izuna Zanshinken

Vermilion

Bloody Rondo

Yurikago yori Tenshi Made

Hello, Lady

Bradyon Veda

Silverio Trinity (but not Silverio Vendetta, since Zephyr is a sponge except in emergencies)

Tokyo Necro

Ayakashibito (because he is supporting himself and Suzu after a certain point)

Sorcery Jokers (the second protagonist)

Muramasa

Tiny Dungeon series (though this is mostly because he is on a scholarship)

Bloody Rondo

Gensou no Idea

Zero Infinity

3 hours ago, Clephas said:

Generally speaking, most protagonists in VNs are teens reliant on their parents for money, food, and shelter.  As such, it is pretty hard to find a VN where the protagonist is capable of supporting himself/herself, and some of my favorite protagonists are of this type.   For the purposes of accuracy, I'm excluding people merely living alone on money being sent to them by relatives.  I'll also name chuunige with this type of protagonist in a separate section at the bottom.  Incidentally, I reluctantly excluded Akatsuki no Goei's Kaito because he sponges off anyone who will let him, lol.  I'm also excluding 'high fantasy' with no characters from Earth.

The List

G-Senjou no Maou

Given the fact that Kyosuke owes Gonzo his family's debt would he count ?? I mean, Gonzo put him to work to take advantaje of kyousuke skills and to "get paid".

I would add to the list:

-The kara no shoujo series (including cartagra)

-Noble Works (teen, but a hard-working one)

-Princess Evangile (protagonist works beacause his dad's ludopathy, though he becomes a millonaire after winning the lottery)

-Dracu Riot (same as noble works)

These are also my favourite kind of protagonist, even more when they have a more adult attitude such as Kyousuke and Renji.

Edited by Benji Price

Living off one's family savings or inheritance is one of the most lousy, plot-convinient excuses japanese vn writers tend to mask their inability to write compelling stories starring young adults.

I'd separate this further between leechs and actual financially independent protagonists. Being one means having an income and that one requires a full-time job. Off with the bullshit.

4 hours ago, Narcosis said:

Living off one's family savings or inheritance is one of the most lousy, plot-convinient excuses japanese vn writers tend to mask their inability to write compelling stories starring young adults.

I'd separate this further between leechs and actual financially independent protagonists. Being one means having an income and that one requires a full-time job. Off with the bullshit.

I considered that... and that's why I already labeled those that have leech aspects (inheritance with no associated duties).   The classification requires that it be the protagonist's money, not that he not inherit it, lol.  The Mecha-con series protagonists have associated duties to go along with their money, so they don't fall under your dissatisfaction umbrella, incidentally.  I also didn't include any protagonists who are immensely wealthy but still under the control of a parent or guardian (well, except Re:Birth Colony, where the protagonist's 'mother' is a cyborg yakuza who uses him as a deep cover spy). 

Looking at my own list:

I honestly don't remember Rui Tomo's protag earning his own keep (was it part time?), might just be my bad memory there though. If you're counting part time then a lot more VNs will creep in (eg/ Comyu/Hatsuyuki)

Pretty sure Protags from Baldr Sky and Heart earn(ed) their own keep from working if you're counting Muramasa, AstralAir as well - though AstralAir's protag is a bit on the spongy side.

Owaru Sekai to Birthday technically... I'll let you decide on this one.

And lastly Eustia, Caim does earn his own keep - but it might be too 'high fantasy'