Is translated Comyu worth reading?

I've heard great things about Comyu and it seems quite intriguing, but I've also heard lots of complaints about the English translation. People claim it's too literal, stiff, and extremely tiring to read, rumored to be even worse than F/SN. This has kind of put me off from picking it up. 

Is the translation quality really that bad? Should I skip this one in favor of a more fluently translated game?

Edited by Guilty of Seeing Red

Focus on the great things you heard about Comyu rather than the complaining. People complain about everything mate. Honestly i don't know about the Comyu complains since i usually just ignore stuff like that and decide for myself once I've tried it.

Comyu's great, its one of the first few Vns i read. I don't even remember the translation being bad, I think its because the story was really good haha. From what i remember it was a fun ride, the translation was fine and i didn't have a hard time reading it at all.

Have fun reading it if you choose to do so!

Kagome's made of fire and ice and everything spice. She's one badass woman that's for sure, one of my favourite heroines in a Vn.

Personally, I think the people that complain the most about TL's are the ones that already know Japanese. Unless its a downright bad TL like If my Heart had wings, as a English only native speaker I haven't really ran into any issues with most translations comyu included. A good of example of this would be 11eyes, where it gets heat for being a bad TL from people who understand Japanese, however most English only speakers, myself included were completely fine with the translation for it.

Comyu is a worthy read, there will always be people who have complaints about things like TL and while some complaints may have a reason for being others not so much.

Personally I enjoyed this one, I encourage you to read it and form your own opinion about it as it's the best you can do.

Uhhh...what?  It pretty frequently uses very odd, unnatural English, mostly because it's an overly literal translation.  It's not bad enough to the point where you have no idea what's going on, but it's definitely noticeable if you're looking for it.

That said, it's not worth skipping because Ameratsu did the TL.  It's a great read if you like chuuni, and while a lot of people tend to hate Akihito, the protagonist, he's at least not the standard bland good guy protag that plagues so many VNs.

I dont recommend it, not because of translation quality because thats okay if you arent THAT picky  

RANT

but the reason Comyu had one of worst throwaway H-SCENES I ever seen, its almost was like they designed a game for younger ones then hey we need H-scene " lets throw some random sh.t in it". Also I have never seen a more annoying MC, he is a damn manwhore who also happens to be hypocrite, claiming to be in love and giving pretionus shonen speeches, yet he cheats on girl, on other times he refuses to cheat... So badly written, I mean wtf decide what MC supposed be either he is nice or bad, not a damn hypocrite. 

Admitedly the game had nice idea but turned into a really predictable cliche with strong badly written shonen feel. 

I absolutely dont recommend this title.

Comyu is a meh novel, but the translation is not that bad (Cross Channel tires you a lot more). I was interested in it at first too, but in the end I left disappointed. The potential of the plot is completely wasted. But there some likeable characters and some parts are really fun. But it's your common chuunige.

9 hours ago, Swim Swim said:

I dont recommend it, not because of translation quality because thats okay if you arent THAT picky  

RANT

but the reason Comyu had one of worst throwaway H-SCENES I ever seen, its almost was like they designed a game for younger ones then hey we need H-scene " lets throw some random sh.t in it". Also I have never seen a more annoying MC, he is a damn manwhore who also happens to be hypocrite, claiming to be in love and giving pretionus shonen speeches, yet he cheats on girl, on other times he refuses to cheat... So badly written, I mean wtf decide what MC supposed be either he is nice or bad, not a damn hypocrite. 

Admitedly the game had nice idea but turned into a really predictable cliche with strong badly written shonen feel. 

I absolutely dont recommend this title.

This is the reason why i dropped comyu after benio's route. I did force myself reading up to that point and couldn't stand the MC anymore (red color, so sad ect... lol).

I might add that the novel was written by the author of ruitomo / hello lady (if i'm not mistaken ˆˆ)̂. The guy have an interresting writing style but i'm not sure if it translate well in english.

Maybe, i would not have dropped it if i knew japanese at the time, but i sure didn't like the english version.

It's too bad since Kagome and the "bad guy" (don't remember his name, the one that say the MC is a clown lol, he should have been the MC :makina:) were pretty interresting character.

Anyways, i don't recommend it. But you could still try to see if it's up your alley.

Well, it's quite divisive just like some opinions here (Like it or dislike it). But since what we want to talk was about the translation, I think it's quite serviceable ie understandable (At least no complain like machine translated or something like that). In the end, it's up to you though (Or maybe I should say good luck because you already decided on that).

Edited by littleshogun

16 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I'm the clueless asshole that didn't realize the issues Hoshizora no Memoria and Cross Channel had, when I read them. So, I doubt my opinion holds much merit. 

Although I will say that I found Comyu an extremely enjoyable read.

Wait, Hoshimemo had issues?

To be honest while reading it I kept wondering if the translator was Australian or something. (Because of location, I know little of Australian English so, in short, I found it strange)

Also with the in-game half-Aussie heroine, it'd been neat :sachi:

7 hours ago, Okarin said:

Wait, Hoshimemo had issues?

To be honest while reading it I kept wondering if the translator was Australian or something. (Because of location, I know little of Australian English so, in short, I found it strange)

Also with the in-game half-Aussie heroine, it'd been neat :sachi:

Yes the translator is australian, there was even the dolphins thing lol.

It was for Mare h-scenes, it seems australian government is pretty strict for many things (mostly loli h-scene in this case :scottsune:) and the guy didn't want problems.

I didn't even noticed the australian influence in his writing (Obviously because i'm not english / american native ˆˆ).

Edited by Tweek91330

I know little, but because of direct inheritance, Australian English in form, resembles more British English and less American English. But it's a kind of its own.

Of course, the ties between Australia and Britain are far stronger than between the USA and it. Australia remains a part of the Commonwealth and never separated from Britain. Also, it's possible that Americans tried to separate their brand of English from the original as much as possible, or maybe it was just natural separate evolution.

14 hours ago, Tweek91330 said:

This is the reason why i dropped comyu after benio's route. I did force myself reading up to that point and couldn't stand the MC anymore (red color, so sad ect... lol).

It's too bad since Kagome and the "bad guy" (don't remember his name, the one that say the MC is a clown lol, he should have been the MC :makina:) were pretty interresting character.

Glad I am not alone feeling this way.

RED COLOR, now thats epic how could I forget that line,,,, MC has no equal when comes to annoyance. 

Yeah I remember the interesting one was called "Caesar", MC targeted him basically without reason spouting pretentious bullsh.t, just was another nail in the coffin for the game.

4 hours ago, Swim Swim said:

Glad I am not alone feeling this way.

RED COLOR, now thats epic how could I forget that line,,,, MC has no equal when comes to annoyance. 

Yeah I remember the interesting one was called "Caesar", MC targeted him basically without reason spouting pretentious bullsh.t, just was another nail in the coffin for the game.

^THIS!

And don't forget the "gentle kingdom" and "everyone is alone" lines...

And his name was Gasai, Caesar was his alias. God, he was the best character and I really wanted a route where the MC sided with him. Maybe that would make the novel better! Such a waste...