looking for good 'realistic' vns (translated)

MikeY91

As much as i hate it, i am very picky about vns and i will admit that not any vn can catch my eye,i have read some of the top vns and now i am struggling to find a good one. i will list some of the vns that i truly enjoyed:

Katawa Shoujo (it was my first vn lol)

Saya no Uta (i liked the story)

Clannad (Masterpiece and my top vn ever)

Narcissu (masterpiece)

Swan Song (masterpiece)

Cross Channel (it had its flaws but i still enjoyed it)

Yumi Miru Kusuri (i quite enjoyed the route of the girl getting bullied)

Graisaia (it was enjoyable but they ruined it with unnecessary over the top scenarios, my best route was Michiru even though it could have been better)

So pretty much what i enjoy about a vn is a good story with a realistic plot, it doesn't mean the vn cannot be sci-fi, it just means that the plot is well done and almost has no gaps, i don't want a vn that just forces me to believe something just for the heck of it, i want a reasonable plot.

i am reading Morgana right now and i am quite enjoying it, i finished chapter 6 so far and will see how things will go from here, i do believe the vn has been pushing it around this chapter and i feel like the story is being stretched but i won't judge now.

what i liked about Clanned is the well done characters, the protagonist was pretty likable and relatable, i am not very fond of vns with a perfect genius protagonist but i can tolerate it as long as it is well done. The after story in Clannad was absolutely stunning in my opinion, i have never been attached to a character as much as i was attached to Nagisa. This is the type of vn i am looking for, the characters were pretty realistic and all their emotions were very reasonable and accurate. Yes i know i will not find a vn like Clannad but if possible i want something at least similar.

anyway, as long as the plot is reasonable and characters are well done i am good with any genre.

EDIT: i am also reading Eden right now and so far i am not very impressed

Spoiler

I have reached the part where they escape the research facility and they live in the mountain, the vn had its good moments but so far i am just forcing myself to keep reading, non of the characters stand out to me, and like i mentioned i am not very fond of genius perfect protagonist or genius perfect heroine either.  let me know if it is worth it to keep reading.

Edited by MikeY91

Quite hard to make recommendations here to be honest. But if you insist maybe you could try both of I/O and Root Double here (Both of those were sci-fi by the way). Also maybe you could try Planetarian there. Hope those recommendations could be help.

Edited by littleshogun

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Quite hard to make recommendations here to be honest. But if you insist maybe you could try both of I/O and Root Double here (Both of those were sci-fi by the way). Also maybe you could try Planetarian there. Hope those recommendations could be help.

I have them on my wishlist actually except for root double. I will check them out.

2 hours ago, Light Darkx said:

I think Kara no Soujo would be a good one fitting your taste.

I was thinking about reading it, I heard it's good

1 hour ago, Asonn said:

it seems you like Utsuge and Nakiges.... 

I will give you some recommendations when I got back from work ><

Well I can't deny that, although after I read Narcissui i was trying to avoid them...looks like that's what I really need lol 

When i saw the title of your topic, i wanted to point out swan song, but obviously you already finished that.

Here is some :

Remember11

I saw you enjoyed saya, so why not those 2 nitro+ titlles

Kikokugai

Hanachirasu

The issue with TLed VNs is that you'll run out fast (expecially if you are picky :chaika:). If you have trouble finding goods VNs, you might as well start japanese go untranslated.

I'll just drop here to rec To Heart 2 - Another Days, Deardrops, Hatsukoi 1/1 and Clannad: Tomoyo After ~It's a Wonderful Life~

Hatsukoi 1/1 is currently mid-TL but a good one that is patching after each route with 2 of the routes currently out and the 3rd likely coming out in the next 2 weeks.

Hope this helps

12 hours ago, Tweek91330 said:

When i saw the title of your topic, i wanted to point out swan song, but obviously you already finished that.

Here is some :

Remember11

I saw you enjoyed saya, so why not those 2 nitro+ titlles

Kikokugai

Hanachirasu

The issue with TLed VNs is that you'll run out fast (expecially if you are picky :chaika:). If you have trouble finding goods VNs, you might as well start japanese go untranslated.

Thank you I will consider those, Remember 11 is already on my wishlist as well. I have so many on my wishlist I don't know where to start lol

10 hours ago, Novel21 said:

I recommend Remember 11(it have deep story)

Ever 17(it have deep story but can be bit boring)

Yes these are VN I recommend and Remember 11 are much better than Ever 17.

I have tried Ever 17, I played one route of the mysterious anti social girl. I thought it was alright, but as you mentioned I found myself bored reading it, I was gonna read the other routes but the text skip function is so bad and slow, I literally had to wait over 30 mins for the vn to finish skipping all the text, but it was also because I didn't read it by the recommended route order, and the vn is linear so yeah. I will consider remember 11 though.

4 hours ago, Zalor said:

Swan Song, Narcissu, and Yume Miru Kusuri are three of my favorites as well man! I would highly recommend Symphonic Rain.

They were truly amazing. Symphonic rain is also on my wishlist lol but thank you, I needed to know which ones fall under my 'realistic' criteria 

you need to read kira kira  kirari's normal route, you wont regret reading it (it is a bit boring at the beginning but just bear with it trust me, the third chapter is superb)

Kara no shoujo (1 and 2) is... not for everyone, is more of a mystery visual novel than anything else, it's complex to give you a review of both of them in a few words but knowing your tastes im sure is not what you are looking for.

You can also read ef a tale... it's nothing like eden.

5 hours ago, Novel21 said:

I hope you would enjoy reading Remember 11, when you start read that VN:D

Thank you :)

3 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

you need to read kira kira  kirari's normal route, you wont regret reading it (it is a bit boring at the beginning but just bear with it trust me, the third chapter is superb)

Kara no shoujo (1 and 2) is... not for everyone, is more of a mystery visual novel than anything else, it's complex to give you a review of both of them in a few words but knowing your tastes im sure is not what you are looking for.

You can also read ef a tale... it's nothing like eden.

Awesome now i have a good list of VNs to read XD yeah i forgot about Kira Kira, i am considering Kara no Shoujo as well, i have ef a fairy tale in my wishlist as well. I am reading Eden right now and i am not impressed. thanks

3 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Eh...i hate looking like a fanboy...

But who cares about that, go read Steins;Gate. i have nothing more to say. 

Oh i loved Steins Gate, i was happily reading it until i deleted the game by mistake while i was cleaning up some old files :( ever since then i had been discouraged to continue reading it as i have lost my save files and achievements, i was also very picky about the achievements :( b.ut surely one day i will finish it

Going off your list I would agree with others with my top recommendation being Kara No Shoujo.

The Infinity series and Critical Point are some other options, mainly going off all the sci-fi.

If Clannad is what you are considering "realistic" then you could try all the other Key games, Kana Little Sister, Family Project, Kirakira (Kirari's route as others said), or Da Capo. 

4 hours ago, mbl said:

Going off your list I would agree with others with my top recommendation being Kara No Shoujo.

The Infinity series and Critical Point are some other options, mainly going off all the sci-fi.

If Clannad is what you are considering "realistic" then you could try all the other Key games, Kana Little Sister, Family Project, Kirakira (Kirari's route as others said), or Da Capo. 

Thank you for the recommendations, what i meant by 'realistic' was not necessarily about vns with no sci-fi elements at all, which is why i used the quotation marks :P  i was pretty much asking for a well done plot. I don't like any weak plots in VNs, for example: a man gets stabbed in the heart yet he 'magically survives, stuff like that. as long as the vn gives me considerable explanations i am ok with it. Although Clannad had sci-fi elements in it, i don't remember any instance where i felt the vn forced something on me and i just HAD to believe it for the heck of it. the illusionary world was very mysterious and i liked how they explained it at the end. you want an example of what i don't like?

In Grisaia in Michuru's route

Spoiler

Michuru's 'other personality could have EASILY been explained as a multiple personality disorder or something of that sort, yet the vn decides to go with BS explanation of her heart implant surgery and that the other personality was the girl who had the implanted heart. that was complete BS and it pissed me off so bad lol