Koihime

VaroOP

read the mangagamer one first. im just assuming here since i havent read teh other one but since the mg version starts with the mc in his normal world before being teleported into their world, i think thats a good start. plus, its fully tled and uncensored.

the protagonist is just some kid from the future bringing in his knowledge of battles that hes read in the past. he plays a major role in the vn bringing the nations together and making a nice harem.

24 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

read the mangagamer one first. im just assuming here since i havent read teh other one but since the mg version starts with the mc in his normal world before being teleported into their world, i think thats a good start. plus, its fully tled and uncensored.

the protagonist is just some kid from the future bringing in his knowledge of battles that hes read in the past. he plays a major role in the vn bringing the nations together and making a nice harem.

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

You want to play this one first: https://vndb.org/v369. The other one is its sequel.

The protagonist ends up becoming the lord of a bunch of generals (read: cute girls who fight each other) and armies (read: faceless cannon fodder).

Thanks!

Shin Koihime isn't a sequel.  It is an alternate version with individual stories for each of the three factions with the protagonist serving a different role with each.  The original was little more than a half-assed hybrid nukige with a really simple battle system.

19 hours ago, Clephas said:

Shin Koihime isn't a sequel.  It is an alternate version with individual stories for each of the three factions with the protagonist serving a different role with each.  The original was little more than a half-assed hybrid nukige with a really simple battle system.

So far I can totally understand what you are saying. I am expecting a deeper story as I read further though. Should I lower my expectations ? 

19 hours ago, Clephas said:

Now I am confused. I already started reading the first one and I have come pretty far as well. Should I just stop playing and turn to the alternative one ? 

Ok since the alternative one is not translated and it probably won't be till 2019, I'll just play the original one for now I guess..

Edited by VaroOP

Overall, the best thing is to read the original Koihime Musou for the Shoku route and Shin Kohime Musou for the Go and Gi routes (if the translation gets ever finished). The Shoku route in SKM is shorter and definitely inferior to the original, but SKM has quite decent Go and Gi routes instead which the original doesn't have at all. Gameplay in both versions is similar simplistic and more for decoration.

14 hours ago, VaroOP said:

So far I can totally understand what you are saying. I am expecting a deeper story as I read further though. Should I lower my expectations ? 

Now I am confused. I already started reading the first one and I have come pretty far as well. Should I just stop playing and turn to the alternative one ? 

Shin Koihime is better in every possible way.  The original Koihime was a really half-assed attempt to utilize the Three Kingdoms setting, with weak characterization and a complete white-washing of anything interesting from the era.  For one thing, Sun Ce is already deceased in Koihime, despite it beginning before the point in history in which Sun Ce died.  In addition, the endgame makes not a lick of sense.  Shin Koihime has the advantage of a much richer story with less of an obsession with sex in general, even in the Shoku path. 

Edit: To be clearer, Shin Koihime is basically three deep stories in one game, each based in the same world, with the difference being in what side the protagonist takes.  This decision alters his lifestyle and experiences beyond all recognition, since each side has its own philosophy and differences in how they treat him, as well as dramatically differing heroine personalities.  If you pick Cao Cao's side, for instance, the protagonist's role is primarily as a civil officer, occasionally providing ideas but primarily serving as a city patrol officer as well as a companion to the other characters.  In the Sun family's case, he is an adviser/tactician, as well as the husband to all the women generals.  In the case of Liu Bei and the crew, he is the overall figurehead ruler and symbol of the nation, though Liu Bei also serves in that role.

In the original Koihime, the protagonist was treated like a messiah+ harem king from beginning to end, and the results were... boring in comparison.  Not to mention that the actual storyline was just not as well written or designed.

Edited by Clephas

16 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Overall, the best thing is to read the original Koihime Musou for the Shoku route and Shin Kohime Musou for the Go and Gi routes (if the translation gets ever finished). The Shoku route in SKM is shorter and definitely inferior to the original, but SKM has quite decent Go and Gi routes instead which the original doesn't have at all. Gameplay in both versions is similar simplistic and more for decoration.

Guess I'll do just this. Play the original one for now. 

7 hours ago, Clephas said:

Shin Koihime is better in every possible way.  The original Koihime was a really half-assed attempt to utilize the Three Kingdoms setting, with weak characterization and a complete white-washing of anything interesting from the era.  For one thing, Sun Ce is already deceased in Koihime, despite it beginning before the point in history in which Sun Ce died.  In addition, the endgame makes not a lick of sense.  Shin Koihime has the advantage of a much richer story with less of an obsession with sex in general, even in the Shoku path. 

Edit: To be clearer, Shin Koihime is basically three deep stories in one game, each based in the same world, with the difference being in what side the protagonist takes.  This decision alters his lifestyle and experiences beyond all recognition, since each side has its own philosophy and differences in how they treat him, as well as dramatically differing heroine personalities.  If you pick Cao Cao's side, for instance, the protagonist's role is primarily as a civil officer, occasionally providing ideas but primarily serving as a city patrol officer as well as a companion to the other characters.  In the Sun family's case, he is an adviser/tactician, as well as the husband to all the women generals.  In the case of Liu Bei and the crew, he is the overall figurehead ruler and symbol of the nation, though Liu Bei also serves in that role.

In the original Koihime, the protagonist was treated like a messiah+ harem king from beginning to end, and the results were... boring in comparison.  Not to mention that the actual storyline was just not as well written or designed.

I will be waiting for SKM but for now I guess the original Koihime is my only option.

Edited by VaroOP

7 hours ago, skrewball717 said:

It's a shame they can't get someone to finish h-scenes and battles as the main story is translated aside from that.

BTW VaroOP: Koihime Musou is not a bad game. It's a lot of fun and the story is good, just the ending is a little weak. It just isn't as good as Shin is all. Enjoy it!

Tbh the story is too weak. It has this shounen pattern and truly it feels just like Clephas described it. A half-assed nukige. The battles just happen and the protag just wins after which he fucks around..
Well that in itself is enjoyable for a perv like me so ya whatever.. 

On 3/28/2017 at 10:06 AM, skrewball717 said:

It's a shame they can't get someone to finish h-scenes and battles as the main story is translated aside from that.

*Ahem*

We need more people (especially since I'm slow) but I am working on the h-scenes.  The project desperately needs editors.

10 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

*Ahem*

We need more people (especially since I'm slow) but I am working on the h-scenes.  The project desperately needs editors.

All of us appreciate the fact that you guys are translating this huge VN. At least there is hope that there will be a english translated version of Shin Koihime in the future!
Also, I am sure that Skrewball didn't say that intending to criticize you. Every other person who wants to play Shin Koihime feels that way because it really is a shame that we can't play it yet. 
Well, right now I am fine because I have a ton of other VNs to play and in fact no time to play them..

10 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

*Ahem*

Just want to reiterate what VaroOP said and that it was not a shot at your group by any means or your efforts, especially with everything that has happened to you guys to this point. The VN community appreciates all that you and every fan TL group does. I'd imagine editors are a bit easier to find that good TLers at least. I am a college graduate so I might be able to help some from an English proficiency standpoint, but I have never done so before so I doubt you would be interested in my services.

Again thanks for everything you guys do.

PS: Enjoy your backlog of VNs VeroOP =)